My Best Horrible Story

The Hospital

I walk up to the main desk at the hospital and wait to get the receptionist's attention.
"Can I help you?" she asks.
"Yeah, could I possibly see the files of Jane Sibernik?" I say clearly.
"Are you a relative?"
"Her cousin."
"Sorry, immediate family only." she says shaking her head.

I step away and pull out my cell phone.
"Zoe?"
"Hey Auntie, could you come down to the hospital?"
"What? Why? What happened?" she asks worriedly.
"Nothing, its just they won't let me see Janey's files because I'm not immediate family." I explain, "Might want to bring birth certificates or something for proof."
"Alright." she sighs, "I'll be there in twenty minutes."
"Thanks."

Thirty minutes later and I see my aunt walk in through the main doors. She looks horrible, at the funeral, my mother put make up on her and did her hair, but now she just looks so dead.
"Hey Auntie." I say hugging her.
"Okay, let's just get this done with." she sighs as we walk up to the main desk.

The woman behind the desk takes her sweet time looking over the birth certificates and my aunt's driver's license. She finally stops and looks up at us.
"Alright, sit down, I'll get her file." she says simply. She stands around the main desk for a while, not doing much at all but finally she goes into some back room.

She returns later with a beige file folder and hands it to my aunt,
"Return it to the front desk when you're done." My aunt automatically passes me the folder.
"I don't want to see it." she says blandly.

I open up the folder and look through the medical pictures. My dead cousin laid out on a slab like a piece of meat. There's pictures from almost every angle of her disgusting death.

Definitely not a suicide. The wounds aren't at easy self accessible places, they must've been inflicted by someone else. Definitely no way this was a simple drug overdose, even if she'd fallen down a flight of stairs she still wouldn't look like that.

The police report simply stated that she died of an overdose. Its the easiest thing for them to do, in places like Janey lived people were always dropping dead from drug overdoses or being murdered for not paying up for their vices. Its more than common knowledge that drug rings are tight and stopping one wouldn't exactly be a walk in the park.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments please