Status: NEW

So Fragile Yet So Devious

You're my conscience.

She and Corey ended up sharing his two-bed hotel room for her visit. And with a day off, that meant he’d be sleeping in some. In fact, the sound of his snoring filled the room and ultimately woke her up that next day. Luckily for him, he’d left a print out of his schedule on the nightstand so she was able to wake him up in time for a few radio interviews he had planned for that afternoon.

“You sure you don’t wanna come with me?”

She nodded, “I’m sure. I’m gonna hang out here. Besides they want Corey Taylor….not Corey Taylor and friend.”

He laughed and rolled his blue eyes, “Okay, then. I’ll be back in a little while. Don’t get into trouble.”

“I think I’ll be ok.” She snorted. “I’m a big girl.”

He’d gotten back and charged into his room. He didn’t see her immediately but as he ventured further inside he saw the light shining from the bathroom. He caught a glimpse of her putting a some curls into her hair and putting on some makeup. When took a glimpse in the mirror and saw him behind her, she jumped.

“Damn it. You scared the shit out of me.”

He laughed, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to. What are you getting all dolled up for?”

“Oh, I just have kind of a date tonight is all.”

His smile disappeared some. “A date? With who?”

She turned around to meet his gaze. “Roy.”

“Roy? As in, my drummer Roy? Roy Mayorga?”

“Uh huh.”

“When did he ask you on a date?”

“Last night at that party…..it was while you were in the bathroom.”

“Was in the bathroom that fucking long?”

She made a weird face. “He just asked me to dinner. “

He shook his head feverishly, “You don’t need to go out with him.”

“And why would that be?”

“You can’t just trust me on this? I’m supposed to be your best friend.”

“He seems like a nice guy. What’s the deal?”

“I thought you were here to see me….But….you go do what you want. It doesn’t matter.” He stormed off and she followed him.

“What is the matter? Why are you acting like this?”

“Forget I said anything. Have fun.” He said flipping on the t.v and not even looking in her direction.

“Faith.”

“You better go. You’ll be late.” That was all he said. At a loss for words, she grabbed her purse, flipped the bathroom lights out, and left.

It was barely an hour later when she crept back into the room. She’d thought maybe he had gone out or gone to sleep judging by how the lights were out but a quick glance across the room revealed his dimly lit silhouette perched on the bed watching t.v and smoking a cigarette. She thought maybe he hadn’t noticed her when she came in but his head whipped in her direction.

“That was a quick date….”

Sighing, she put her purse on the table and slipped her shoes off. “That’s because I cancelled it. Told him I wasn’t feeling well.”

“What made you do that?”

“Well, for some reason, when you tell me something it stays in my head and I hear it over and over and over. It’s like you’re my conscience or something.”

“I didn’t mean to sound like such a jerk…” He said blowing the smoke from his lips.

“Well, I hope you’re up for going out tonight.”

“What? Why?”

“Well, I’m all dressed up and stuff…surely, you don’t want me to waste this awesome hair day on a night in.”

He laughed that goofy laugh of his, “What do you wanna do?”

She thought for a second then a light bulb when off in her head. “You know if there’s a roller skating rink around?”

“It’s a pretty big city…there’s bound to be one somewhere.”

“Awesome! Get your shoes on. Let’s go.”

He through his shoes on and grabbed his beanie. He was pretty nervous seeing as he couldn’t skate a lick. Skateboard, sure. Roller skates? Hell no. But he wasn’t about to tell her that. After all, how hard could it possibly be?