Status: NEW

So Fragile Yet So Devious

Falling

They found a rink just a few blocks down from their hotel and they ventured inside. She fastened the skates to her feet and stood there waiting for him to do the same.

“Ready yet?’

“Umm, you go on out. I’ll be there in just a sec.”

“Okay then.” She shrugged. He watched as she took off flawlessly and skated circles around everyone else.

‘All right, Taylor. You can do this.’ He said trying to encourage himself to follow suit. Unsteadily, he slowly moved towards the roller rink while keeping a tight a grip on the railing. She skated over to him as he clumsily tried to move around.

“Come on.” She urged him.

“I’m coming…it’s just been a while since I’ve done this…..I’m a little rusty…”

“You do know how to skate, right?”

“Oh yeah. Definitely.” He finally let go of the rail and tried to stride away. However, as soon as he let go he came crashing down to the floor.

“Corey!” She bent down and rolled over to him. “You all right?”

“Oh yeah. Just busted my ass in front of God and everyone. I’m fan fucking tastic.”

She couldn’t help but laugh at him. “I think someone was lying when they said they could skate…”

He felt his cheeks redden a little. “Okay….so maybe I don’t know how.”

She put her hand on his forearm. “Come on and I’ll teach you.“

“Or I could just watch you…”

She shook her head, “No, that won’t work. Just stand up.”

“That’s easier said than done.” He snorted. She offered both of her hands and he clasped them as fought to rise to his feet.

“Ok, now, first thing…you need to find your balance.” She still held his hands and they stood there until he was completely still. “Now, I’m gonna skate backwards….just hold on to my hands and come with me.”

“Dolly.” He sighed.

“You can do it.” She assured him before she pushed off slowly letting herself roll backwards as she pulled him along. He was surprised that he’d made it nearly half way around the circle without busting his ass again. “You’re doing good.” She grinned. “Ready for me to let go?”

“No, I’m not.” He answered seriously. A little too seriously than he’d realized.

She looked at him funny for a moment but then started to unclasp their hands and spun around. “Follow me.” He began to roll after her and as he grew more comfortable he picked up a little speed. He became even more brazen and decided he would speed up and try to slip in front of her and cut her off. He wooshed in front of her but either she was moving too fast or he wasn’t moving fast enough and they collided in a heap of laughter as the other patrons looked on.

“You ok?” He asked desperately trying to contain his amusement.

“Yeah,” she answered with reddened cheeks. “Just knocked my elbow on the floor.”

“Let me see.” He asked and she raised her arm to show him. “You got a little bump.” He then pressed his lips softly against her elbow. “There. All better.” She felt the heat in her face and her heart thumping wildly. “You ready to go? I think I’ve fallen on my ass enough times for one day.”

She sat there in a daze and didn’t reply.

“Dolly?”

“Huh? What?”

“I asked if you were ready.”

“Oh, yeah. Sure.”

After turning their roller skates in and putting their shoes back on, they left to head back to the hotel. They were walking across the patio and he draped his arm around her shoulders.

“Don’t say anything to Roy…but I’m glad I cancelled our date and stayed with you.” She stared at her feet shyly.

“You’re just saying that cause you got to watch me make an ass of myself trying to skate.”

She laughed and hooked her arm around his waist. Nervous, he searched for anything to talk about.

“So, the pool looks nice.” Good one, Corey. Good one.

“You think so?” She asked with a mischievous tone in her voice. He nodded and she swiftly pushed him into the clear, blue water. He shrieked as soon as he hit the cool water. She doubled over in a fit of laughter as he trudged up the steps of the swimming pool eyeing her with purpose.

“Oh, you think this is funny?”

“Mmmhmm.” She nodded anxiously.

“Well, now you’re going to have to give me a hug….” He moved towards her quickly and, before she could get away, scooped her up in his dripping wet arms.

“Ahhhhhh you’re wet….and COLD.” She yelped. As he held her against his soaking wet, body he looked deep into her green eyes and she laughed and shivered next to him.

“Dolly?”

“Hmm? She mouthed, her face turned up towards his own. She thought she saw him gulp a little before he began to lower his lips to hers, letting them hover there for just a second before pressing them together. Her eyes shut tightly and she returned the gesture. He noticed her part her lips just a little and took this as a sign that she was enjoying what was happening. When he pulled away for a moment, he saw a look of worry wash over her.

“Upstairs?” She shook her head up and down and he took her hand and practically flew to their room.