Status: NEW

So Fragile Yet So Devious

I'm Gonna Find Him.

“Where’d you go?” Jeremy asked her when she finally emerged from the tiny back room of the tattoo shop.

“I was on the phone with Corey.” She said with a smiled and peck on his cheek. Sitting down next to her beau of the past few months, she stared off into space. “I think I’m going to look for his dad…”

He eyed her curiously, “Does he know that?”

She shook her head. “I want to surprise him.”

“Al.” He sighed. “I know you guys are tight but maybe you should run this by him at first. What if he doesn’t even want to meet him.”

“He does and I’m gonna find him.”

He kissed her lips softly and smiled. “I’m not talking you out of this am I?”

“Nope.”

Just then the bell above the door chimed signaling the entrance of a customer. Upon seeing who it was, her eyes lit up.

“Paulie!”

He grinned from ear to ear, “What’s up, lady?”

Her head shook and suddenly a brilliant idea came to her. “Could you help me with something?”

“Uhhh……I guess….”

Jumping out from behind the counter, she grabbed his hand and led him to the backroom.

“Okay…so, I wanna find Corey’s dad.” He just stared at her with a look of worry. “And before you ask, no, I haven’t told him….”

“So, what do you need me for?”

“Well, you’re close to him….do you have any phone numbers for his mom or sister or anyone?” He nodded as he whipped his cell phone out and began rattling off numbers as she scribbled them down on a piece of paper.

“Hey you.” Jeremy poked his head inside and briefly interrupted their conversation. “We still going out tonight?” She just nodded and he disappeared.

Paul raised his eyebrow, “So, you two seem pretty serious…”

“I guess so.” She answered him nonchalantly. She’d been seeing Jeremy for a little over six months now. Well, ever since Corey left to finish the seemingly never ended list of Stone Sour tour dates.

"so, anyway," she changed the subject quickly. "i guess i'll start trying to get in touch with his family..."
"that's another thing.....if they won't tell him anything, what makes you think theyre going to tell you?"
she grinned, "I'm a very persuasive person, Paul. Don't you worry about it." She picked up the phone and began to dial. Paul watched on as, one by one, all the calls ended in a hangup.
He chuckled, "so much for being persuasive...."
She glared at him. "Okay....so maybe this is going to be tougher than i thought."
he laughed, "Yeah, they were totally not going to just tell some stranger on the phone who someone's dad is. I mean....what did you expect?"
"Paul! That's it!"
"What?"
"You're a genius!"
"Wait. What? What'd i do?" he asked scratching his head.
"You busy today?"
"Well, i was gonna get a tattoo-"
"That can wait. You're coming with me."
He groaned, "Alex....."
"Come on." She jumped up. "You want to drive? or should i?"
"Whoa. Drive where?"
"We're gonna go pay Corey's family a little visit..."
"I really don't think that's a good idea..."
"I'll drive." She grinned as she threw a hoodie on and grabbed her keys. He followed her out the door as she called to Jeremy who was hard at work on a client. "Jeremy?"
"Yeah, baby?"
"Me and Paul are gonna go out for a while...."
"All right....be careful. Hey, where you going?"
"To see Corey's family." His eyes bugged out of his head and glanced at Paul who was in a state of panic.
"Dude, tell her this is not a good idea."
Jeremy laughed, "Have you met her? Do you really think she'll listen?" He groaned. "Just don't let her get into too much trouble."

"Why do i have to come?" He asked staring out the passenger side window of her car.
"Because.....A. you know them. i don't. B. you know where they live. and C. i may need back up."
"Oh, god. you're planning on needing backup. i was not intending on doing this much shit today."
"It will be okay. how bad could it possibly be?" he just gave her a blank stare.

"Just let me knock and stuff. She knows me pretty well." Paul told her in reference to Corey's grandmother. He rapped on the door and after a couple of seconds it swung open.

"Paul?" The older woman asked with a smile on her face as she opened the door further. "Now, what'd i do to earn a visit from you?"

"Was just in the neighborhood and thought i'd stop by." He said giving her a gentle hug.

"Who's that with you?"

"This Mick's sister, Alex."

"It's nice to meet you." She smiled. "Corey and I are really close friends."

"Well, come on in. Want anything to drink?"

"We're fine." Paul told her as they walked inside and took seats on the sofa. They made small talk for a few minutes as they were unsure how to delve into the topic they were needing to discuss. She looked to Paul for some kind of encouragement or lead-in.

"So, what do you two really want?"

"Huh?"

She grinned, "I know you didn't drive all the way here just to chat. Is there something going on?"

So that's where Corey got his uncanny ability to read people like a book.

Alex cleared her throat, "I just.....Umm......I wanted to talk to you about Corey....."

"Is he ok?" She asked in a worried tone.

"Oh, yeah, he's fine. I promise."

"Well, then, out with it."

"He was just telling me some things....I was hoping i could sort of help him with..."

"Come on, dear. Out with it."

"Do you know his dad?" She finally blurted out causing Paul to nearly faint.

She eyed the young girl in front of her cautiously for a few moments before she answered. "Yes, I know him."

And, now the next question. "Could you tell me his name? or anything?"

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Look, i know you love Corey, and I do t-." She stopped for a second. "I care about him a lot. He deserves to know who his dad is. He's been wondering about him his whole life."

She looked to Paul who simply gave her a nod. "Let me see if I have anything to write on. I have his name...and a phone number. The number's old though......it may not work anymore. Oh, there’s an address here too."