Status: NEW

So Fragile Yet So Devious

He Looks Like Me

“What’s your problem?” She asked with agitation in her voice.
“I just don’t see why you need to go with him…”
“Jeremy, he doesn’t want to do this alone and he asked me to go…”
“Ok, well, why the fuck do you two have to stay overnight? Hmm? Why can’t you just drive back?”
“We’re just friends. What do you think we’re gonna do?”
“Nothing.” He answered quickly.”I don’t even understand what you see in him anyway.”
“What the hell are you talking about?”
“You’ve fucked him before, haven’t you?” He asked boldy.
“You sound like a lunatic right now.”
“Just admit it. Why else would you drop everything to run and do something for him?” She didn’t have a reply. “I knew it. Hmm, I wonder if Mick knows about his friend fucking his baby sister…”
“Why are you treating me like this?” She began to cry. “All of a sudden you hate Corey and you’re talking to me like I’m a piece of shit. We did sleep together….but that was way before you even came into the picture.”
“Well, excuse me for being a little upset that my girlfriend, whom I’m crazy over, is going away for the night with another guy….”
“I would hope you would trust me a little more than that.”
Taking a breath, he nodded. “I trust you…I just don-. Nevermind. I’m sorry. I’m just stressed about the shop and everything.” She didn’t say anything back to him.
“Call me or something when you get there?” Jeremy asked her to which she just gave him a nod.
“I’ve gotta go. I told him I’d be there by 12 and I’m running a late now….”
“I love you.” He said giving her a quick kiss.
“Yeah….See ya.” She mumbled as she headed out the door.
The fact that she was spending the night with Corey drove him practically insane. But he’d just have to try and get over it. Maybe finishing up the plans for her birthday would help in the department. He’d ordered a cake but still had to finish getting her present and decide on where to even have the party. He called Mick who suggested an Italian place in town that she’d always loved so he made some reservations.

“You’re late.” Corey grinned at her as she got out of her car.
“Well, I’m here arent’ I?” She winked at him. “Your car or mine?”
“Mine. You suck at driving.”
“I do not.”
“Do so. Now, get in my car.”
He drove along the highway with intent and anxiousness in his eyes. The closer they’d gotten to their destination; the quieter he’d become.
Taking the exit off of the highway, he pulled to a stop at a little gas station and laid his head back against his seat.
“What if I can’t do this?”
“You can.”
He shook his head, “I don’t think so.”
“I promise you can.” She said placing her hand over his that rest upon the gear shift. “I’m here for a reason.”
“What if he’s not even there? What if that’s not even his address anymore?”
“Don’t think that way. Look, we’re almost there.” She smiled softly. “Let’s go.”
Somewhat reluctantly, he put the car into drive and finished the few minutes what was left of their drive. He pulled into the little gravel driveway and stared at the front door of the home for a few minutes.
“You may have to carry me or something.” He joked.
“Well, at least there’s a car in the driveway.” She pointed. “So, there’s someone here.”
“I should….go knock or something, right?” She nodded.
“Do you want me to go with you? Or wait here?”
“Come with me.” He nearly pleaded. They unfasten their seatbelts, got out of the vehicle, and slowly walked to the door. He reached up to knock but looked to her first and with one last little bit of encouragement she convinced him to rap at the door. What happened over the course of the next couple of hours was nothing short of mind blowing. It was the correct address and it was his father who was inside. Overcome by emotion, neither one of them said much for the first thirty minutes of their visit. Corey looked to the man in front of him and was astonished at how much they resembled one another. They exchanged quick summaries of what they’ve done and what they’ve been up to recently. He even filled Corey in on the happenings surrounding his absence in his life. He hadn’t run out on him at all. In fact, it was his mother who’d asked him to leave before he was born. He left that house feeling like a tremendous weight had been lifted from his shoulders. For the first time in his life, he felt whole.
“I can’t believe it.” He said smiling as they got back in the car to head to a hotel for the night.
“How cool was that?” She asked.
“He looks me.” He beamed. “Or I look like him…..however that works.”
“So, was my meddling worth it?”
“Absolutely.”
“Shit!” She cursed.
“What?”
“I forgot to call Jeremy when we got here.” She sighed and pulled her cell phone out to dial his number. “Hey. Yeah, sorry I just forgot. Yes, I’m fine. Everything’s fine. Okay. Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow. Love you too.” She rubbed her face and yawned little.
“Tired?” He chuckled.
“Little bit.”
“Wanna just go to the hotel and order pizza or room service or something?”
“That sounds amazing.”

“Just order whatever.” He said flopping down on one of two full sized beds the room had come equipped with. Nodded, she picked up the phone and ordered a couple of pizzas. She sat down on the other bed and he shook his head. “Sit over here with me. I won’t bite…….unless you ask me to.” Rolling her eyes, she sat down next to him and he leaned his head over against her shoulder. “Thanks for coming with me, Dolly.”
“You’re welcome. You know I’d probably do anything for you.”
He nodded, “Me too…..for you anyway.”
When a knock came signaling the arrival of their pizza, she moved to get up but he stopped her. “I got it.”
Tossing the pizza box on the bed lightly, he dropped down back on the bed next to her. It wasn’t long and that pizza had been demolished and they were both yawning.
“Why don’t you go to sleep, Dolly?” He asked her through a lazy yawn.
She stood up for a second with the intention of climbing beneath the blankets on the other bed but she didn’t. She turned to look at him for a second. His blue eyes could barely hold themselves open and his lips were curled into a halfsmile.
“Faith?”
“Hmm?” He said pulling the blankets back and over his frame.
“Could I sleep with you?”
“Come here.” He scooted over leaving room for her to slide in the bed next to him. It felt so good being so close to him again and feeling his warm breath. She was facing his chest and suddenly his arms coiled around her just as he used to do months ago. And just she as she used to do, she nestled her head against the tattoo across his chest. He felt her kiss his skin and he shivered a little.