Status: NEW

So Fragile Yet So Devious

Where'd You Go?

He stood knocking at her apartment door over and over. He'd had a client cancel and figured he'd drop by to see her since it was her birthday and all but she wasn't there. Knocking one final time and receiving no response, he stormed off. He figured he could check with her brother and that maybe she was with him. If not, maybe he had talked to her.

"Man, I was fucking asleep." Mick groaned as he leaned against his front door. "What do you want?"

"You talked to your sister today?"

"No, not yet, as i said before...I was fucking asleep."

"Someone cancelled on me...i went be to see her and she wasn't there."

"She probably just went out shopping or something."

"Or maybe she's with Corey..."

"What would it matter if she was?"

"I asked him to back off....and i asked nice....."

"You may have asked him.......but you didn't ask her. She's not gonna stay away from Corey. She's just not. You're just gonna have to get used to it."

He shook his head, "I don't think I can...."

"Man, it's her birthday....if you insist on starting shit, do it on any other day but today."

"Did you know they slept together?"

"Excuse me?" He asked nearly spitting his coffee from his lips.

"She told me. When she would take off on the weekends to go see him on the road, that's what was going on." Mick didn't react. "You can't tell me you're not pissed..."

"Well, what do you expect me to do? They're adults. Grown ass human beings. I can't control what they do."

"I'm gonna go back to the shop. I have some more appointments. If you hear from Alex, tell her I was looking for her."

"Is there something you need to tell me?"

"Huh?" She was justly confused. Her phone had ring and that was first thing she heard him say.

"About you and Corey. Is there anything I should know?"

"I don't know what you're talking about..."

"Come on...."

"What?"

"Jeremy was just here. He told me all about you and Corey...."

She huffed. "So, he just popped over to talk to you about my sex life?"

"Well, if you put it like that......yes."

"So, what are you gonna do? Lecture me?"

"Where have you been by the way?"

"I was at Corey's..." She realized that wasn't helping the conversation any but Mick just chuckled.

"Figures. Jeremy was looking for you. Had a break in the day and went by your apartment to see you. When you weren't there, he came here."

"Well, I'm headed home to take a shower. I was gonna go by the shop when i got finished."

"Whatever. Doesn't make a shit to me. That boyfriend of yours is a hothead though."

"I know. Believe me, I know."

"Hey." She offered him a impish little smile.

He looked up from the tattoo he was working on to see her standing there holding the fast food bags in her hands.

"I got us some lunch."

"Where'd you go this morning?"

"Just did some errands and ran around town for a little bit."

"Oh," he nodded and wondered if he should believe her. He turned to his client. "Let's break for lunch."

"So, what'd you bring us?" He grabbed the bags from her hand and rifled through the food wrappers inside.

"Just some burgers and fries." She anwered. "Figured we'd just need something to tide us over til pasta and birthday cake tonight."

He offered a half-smile that lacked sincerity . "How's your birthday so far?"

"Pretty good. Ready for tonight though." She sat there watching him scarf down a cheeseburger.

Balling the wrapper up in his hands he smiled and leaned in for a kiss. "Thanks for lunch. How about you go start getting ready for this evening? Pick out something really pretty to wear."

"I will." she smiled. "I'll see you later?"

"Mmhmm. I'll come pick you up when i finish up here."