Status: NEW

So Fragile Yet So Devious

I Need To Think About It

Fresh out of the shower, he dabbed on a little cologne before staring blankly at his closet in a feeble attempt to decide what to wear. He finally settled on some worn blue jeans and a long sleeved, black button down shirt. He was excited to spend her birthday with her until he suddenly remembered what he beau told him about proposing. He secretly hoped that it was just talk meant to keep him away from her but he knew that was only part of it. Jeremy was going to ask he to marry him and he would have to sit there and watch the whole damn thing. He picked up her present off of his nightstand and moved through the house turning everything off. When he got to the living room, he spied the bottle of painkillers on the end table. He never did throw them out. It must've slipped his mind.

When he got to the restaurant, Alex and Jeremy were already here along with Mick and the guys. She stood up to hug him and he could see the grin on Jeremy's face turn into a frown as he shot her brother a glance. Mick just shrugged and went back to drinking the beer he'd ordered as soon as he got there.

The meal seemed to be going smoothly. Jeremy hadn't said anything out of the way to Corey and vice versa which was good since they both sat on either side of her. As the dinner plates were emptied and wine and beer glass were refilled, Corey could feel the moment he dreaded approaching fastly. His stomach knotted up and he got up suddenly to excuse himself. No way could he sit through what he was about to have to sit through.

"Where are you going?" Jeremy said placing a hand on her forearm as she stood.

"I'm just gonna check on Corey. I don't think he's feeling okay....I'll be back."

Jeremy and Mick exchanged glances once again and, not to be left out, Jim included himself on the exchange of looks earning squints of confusion from the other two.
the
When she caught up with him, he was puffing on one of his Marlboro's as he leaned against the brick building.

"You all right?"

He only offered a half-smile and a nod. "Yeah, I just...don't feel good all of a sudden."

"Sure?"

"Actually, I think I'm gonna go..."

"We haven't had cake or anything yet."

"I'm sorry, Dolly." He let his hand graze her cheek. "You and me...we'll get together and do our own thing. Ok?" He began the walk to his car.

"You sure you're okay?"

"Don't worry about me."

She came back inside and the fact that she was more than just a little bummed that he'd left wasn't lost on anyone, especially Jeremy.

"Where'd he go?" Jim wondered.

"Home, I guess." She answered.

"Don't let it bother you, babe." Her boyfriend's arm wrapped around her. "I'm sure he's all right." She nodded. "You ready for some presents?"

She opened the presents from all the guys and thanked them accordingly. Mick had gotten her a handful of cd's and dvd's as usual. He knew she was fairly easy to please when it came to gifts.

She'd finished unwrapping everything, ate some cake, and thought the night was about to end. She was in the process of getting up when Jeremy stopped her.

"Where do you think you're going?" He grinned.

"I was just gonna-"

"You don't wanna see your surprise?"

She sighed, "Yeah, sure."

She was completely unprepared when he moved from his seat to get down onto his knee. And when she heard him say those four words, "Will you marry me?", her reaction wasn't at all what he hoped for.

"I....umm.......I........Jeremy, I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?"

"I need to think about this." She looked at her big brother with sheer panic in her eyes, "Could you take me home?"

"Yeah, sis. No problem."

"Alex...." Jeremy mumbled trying to get any kind of attention from her.

"I'm sorry." She repeated herself once more before she and Mick left taking the remnants of her birthday cake with them.