Status: NEW

So Fragile Yet So Devious

Rooftops

2 Years Later…..

She was on spring break from her high school and she couldn’t be any more relieved. Usually, her spring breaks were uneventful, but Mick had called a few days earlier to say that he and the guys would be in town. They were going to work on a new album and were actually going to record it in Des Moines. God, she’d never been so excited in her life. She wondered what they all looked like especially Corey. He always seemed to show up with his hair different or something. She must’ve stared out her window waiting for their cars to pull in the driveway for hours before it actually happened. Mick was hunched over getting some stuff out of the trunk of his car when he felt her fling herself on him.

“How ya doing big bro?” She asked him thoughtfully. “Where’s Corey?”

He sighed, “He’s coming……I need to tell you something though…”

“Like what?”

“Well, it’s just that…Corey might not be in the most sociable state. He’s been having some problems lately.”

“Problems? Is he okay?”

He raised his broad shoulders, “Who knows. I can’t go into detail with you about it.”

“It’s not like I’m 10 anyore, Mick. I’m 15….I can practically drive a car.”

He laughed and shook his head, “I know. I know. But there are still some things that would be better if you didn’t hear about.”

It was nearly two hours later before Corey made his appearance and, unfortunately, Mick was right. His face looked exhausted and he’d lost the brightness in his eyes. This made her heart break.. He barely said a word while everyone sat around talking. She couldn’t believe how different he was acting and she must’ve been staring at him like he was a freak of nature. Everyone got up go grab dinner but he didn’t move so neither did she. She just sat there staring at him and looking at the way his wavy chocolate colored hair was nearly covered by his beanie. He watched carefully as she stood up and unceremoniously flopped down next to him. He could feel her eyes on him as if they were burning a hole into the side of his head.

“Want something?” He finally broke his silence and spoke to her.

She moved her head from side to side, “You just look so sad.”

“I’m okay.” He said trying his best to manage a smile although he knew she’d never buy it.

“Mick said you’ve been upset about some stuff lately. You wanna talk about it?”

He took a deep breath, “You don’t need to worry about what’s going on with me, Dolly.”

“I seem to remember you saying ‘You know you can talk to me. I am your friend.’” She said jogging his memory. He turned his eyes to her and couldn’t help but smile.

“It’s just stuff between me and Scarlett.” He finally told her. She nodded as he continued to talk about their problems and impending divorce. All she could think about was how she always thought Corey deserved better than that girl. She never did grow to like her; she just pretended to for his sake.

“Hey! You guys coming to eat?!” They heard Paul squeal from the other r oom.

He rolled his eyes, “I think loud mouth wants us.”

“I think your right.” She snickered and jumped off the couch. He got up slowly and was caught off guard when she turned around quickly and hugged him.

She was doing the dishes later that night when Joey was tiptoeing through the house in an attempt to leave and head home. He thought he was being pretty stealthy but she could hear the floor squeak beneath his feet.

“What are you doing, Jordison?”

“Holy shit. You scared me.” He gasped.

She laughed, “You gonna answer me?”

“I was gonna head out…I’m pretty tired…”

“You all look exhausted.” She said honestly. “Corey’s probably the worst.”

He bobbed his head up and down and looked at her thoughtfully, “Has your brother mentioned anything to you about whats been going on?”

“Only that Cor’s been having some problems lately….he wouldn’t go into much detail. And Corey just told me about him and Scarlett….”

“Oh, so you don’t know about the other night……I guess that’s probably a good thing…” He placed his hand on the doorknob and began to turn it.

“What about the other night?”

“It’s nothing. They probably don’t want you to know anyway…”

“Joey, tell me.” She implored.

“I don’t know if I should…”

She glared at him, “You know….no one can make your life hell quite like a 15 year old girl.”

“Touche….but you gotta promise not to tell anyone I told you this….”

“Out with it.”

“We kind of…had to get Corey off a rooftop.”

“Huh? What’s that mean?”

“He was…” Joey sighed and wiped the sweat from his brow. “He was gonna….umm…..well, he tried to jump.”

“What?!” She nearly screamed.

“I knew I shouldn’t have said anything……”

She did nothing but march up the steps and to the guest bedroom they’d offered to Corey earlier in the evening. She saw the light beneath the door and didn’t even bother to knock. She swung the door open with all the force she could manage. He was sitting on the bed flipping through the channels on the tv when he saw her barge in and judging by the look on her face this visit was of some importance.

“Uhh, hello to you too.” He mumbled and she smacked the remote out of his hand. “What the hell?”

“How could you do something like that?”

He squinted his eyes in confusion. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Joey told me about what happened the other night………the rooftop?”

He rubbed his face, “I wish he hadn’t said anything…”

She smacked his chest. “Why would you even think of doing something like that?!” Before he could respond she smacked him again. “What is so bad that you would put everyone who loved you through that? Huh?” She smacked him a third time. “Did you ever once stop to think that maybe there are certain people that would be fucking devastated if something happened to you?!” The rapid fire questions turned into a rain of hands smacking and beating at his chest. He couldn’t calm her down so he grabbed ahold of her tightly and held her as she kept hitting him. “You’re my best friend, Corey. My best fucking friend. I can’t lose you.” The hitting finally stopped as she began to cry.

“Shhhhh. I’m okay.” He said trying to soothe her. “It’s okay. I’m sorry, ok. I’m so sorry, Dolly.”

“You’ve got to promise me that you’ll never do anything like that again.” She sniffled.

“I promise. I promise. Just stop crying. Please stop crying.”