Elemental Power

Prologue

The date is December 21, 2012. This is reported as the end of the world as predicted by an ancient terminated race called the Mayans. Many people still go about their day while others hide in self-made shelters. Some of these shelters dated back to the 1940s when fears of nuclear war ran rampant. The world does not end, but the shelters remain active and most even expand, merging with others. Technology advances and the world carries on like normal. “We Survived!” is the headline of the New York Times.

The date is now June 29, 2030. Scientists are frantic as the military is scrambling. Reports of strange vessels which are noticed light-years away with advanced technology are approaching the planet. “Impending Doom: Is This the End?” is the headline of the New York Times. The vessels won’t touch Earth’s surface for another two months, they say.

The date is now September 23, 2030. The vessels have touched and unleashed “aliens” from another planet that resemble human beings. The “aliens” call themselves Elementals and appear to come in peace. However, the military of every country still fights back in fear resulting in retaliation from the Elementals who have incredible power. Groups are forming to fight for their rights. “They Look Just Like Us” the headline of the New York Times reads, “But They Are Evil.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I turn over her body, looking for more insight into who she is. Her diary is so small and she looks to be about thirty. I find it interesting that she comments on what was on the headline of a newspaper that has been out of business for twenty years. If only she were alive, I wonder, and then I could really understand what their life was like. I mimic her writing style verbally.

“The year is now 2051 in your years,” I say quietly, “but it’s year 21 for us. I am 21, in fact. My mother ran from your advancing troops when we first arrived here. You called us aliens? That word destroyed your planet. You should probably be a little more open-minded from now on, huh?”

Her face is distorted into a silent scream as her lifeless eyes gaze up at me.

“I should hope you listen,” I say and stand up from my kneeling position. The house is in ruins and we found her in the cellar hidden behind a trap door. We aren’t evil, and I know our kind did not cause this unless they were corrupted by the Soul Seekers.

“Leo, what are you doing?” Carrick says staring at me.

“Checking this human out. Do you think it was Soul Seeker damage here?” I reply.

“It seems to be, but I hope it’s not corrupted Elementals.”

I turn and look at that poor girl. The destruction she must have seen, the pain she must have felt...

“We need to go and see if we can find any more Elementals,” Carrick mutters as he places his Ray Gun in his holster, “or living humans.”

“I hope we find Soul Seekers,” I smirk, “so I can blast their fucking heads off.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's short, I know, but I'm breaking into it. :)

Enjoy.