Status: Like this? Check out my Captain America story as well!

It's Not Like It Hurt That Much

It's not like I'd give in.

The following Monday I walked to meet Adam for breakfast, I wanted to see his granddaughter, and tell him not to try and interfere again. 

"Hi, Annie. Glad to see your face around here again." Michelle, the old woman who worked at the counter. I was also a regular here. It was never busy, and it served the best biscuits and gravy in the area. 

"Good to see you too, Michelle." I smiled and joined Adam at the booth with a little blonde girl. 

"Hi Adam, is this Rebecca?"

"Yes it is. My little pride and joy."

"Hi Rebecca!" I grinned at the little girl. 

She waved and smiled and I sat down. 

"Annie is uncle Tony's friend."

"'Uncle Tony'?" I raised my eyebrow at the man. 

He just chuckled, and we ordered our food. 

"Thanks for last night by the way, old man."

He laughed, but ignored me. 

As we ate we had small talk. I told him how I'd been and what'd I'd done and he told me about what he did and how he'd been. By the time we finished it'd been an hour and I needed to head out, because I had my job to go to. 

I was able to keep my fairly high positioned job when I moved, because I never actually moved too far away, and I was able to take my job with me. I walked in to see my co-workers and they all welcomed me back as I passed. 

"Look who decided we were good enough." spoke a familiar male voice. 

"It's good to see you too, Chris." I smiled as he enveloped me in a hug. 

"Looking better than ever."

"You don't look too bad yourself."

"I'm better than not bad." He spoke, and I chuckled. "What have you been up to?"

"Nothing story worthy." I laughed.

Well good, you aren't having fun without me, but you gotta tell me what's really been up, so how's a drink sound?"

"Still trying to get that drink." I joked.

"Im married, actually." 

"Oh my god, when?"

"This past May." 

"Why didn't I get an invitation?" I frowned. 

"You didn't tell anyone where you were, Annie. Where was I to send it?" 

"Fair enough. I'm sorry, but drinks, yes. I want to meet the unlucky lady."

"Ouch." He grinned. "How about tonight after work, I have to head down to meet her anyway, she won't mind a plus one."

"I'd love to."

"Cool, we'll head down around six."

I nodded and went to my work area. The day went by quickly and it was soon time to go so I met up with Chris and we walked down to the bar together. When we arrived I saw a beautiful woman smiling at us, and I quickly assumed it was his wife. 

"Hey, sweetheart, who's this?" she asked. 

"This is Annabelle, my old friend I've told you about."

"Oh! It's so great to meet you! I've heard so much about you! I'm Lydia!". 

"Hi Lydia, you have such a pretty name."

"Thank you." She smiled and we headed in. 

We found ourselves seated at a booth and we all started talking and we were actually having a great time. The time then became 7:50, when I found my eyes on that all too familiar face walking through the bar door. He was with someone too. I wasn't going to lie, that kinda made me feel weird inside. 

His eyes scanned the room and locked on mine. We just stared at one another. 

"Annie?" Lydia asked. 

"What?" I turned my eyes back to them. 

"Oh, nothing, you just seemed really out of it." 

"Oh, sorry. I'm alright." I grinned but then looked back, but he wasn't there anymore and I hoped I wouldn't have to see him again. 
♠ ♠ ♠
OH MY GOS IM SO SORRY