Fix You

First Date

It was more than overwhelming for Lucy as Chris invited her to a nice dinner for their first date. First date, she thought. Lucy couldn’t come to grips how someone like Chris who had a body like a god could be into someone like her. It was all from a fairytale in her mind, to have a handsome guy like him go for the ugly duckling that holds so much promise to be the beautiful swan she knows she can become.

The thing was she knew she couldn’t transform into the swan. Lucy was still the ugly duckling after all these years; she has not gained the confidence as her friends have. Usually, as the body develops each person accepts their flaws and built up their own individuality.

Lucy skipped all of that and went right into what she truly was. A baker. She loved baking and was therapeutic for her, it was the only thing that helped Lucy cope with how awkwardly skinny she was. She had no curves or substance to make her a woman except for her long hair, when she cut it short like she did during her sophomore year in college thinking she needed a change everyone mistaken her as a man. Naima and Tom encouraged her that she was still a beautiful woman and her face was nothing compared to a man’s.

When was Naima when she needed her, Lucy wanted the reassurance from another woman that she looked beautiful, that she was worthy of having someone like Chris. Lucy didn’t think so. She was just so wrapped up in her own little world she didn’t see Chris walking into her room.

“You look beautiful.”

Lucy spun around in shock to see Chris standing there with a smile on his face, he was absolutely beaming as he looked at her or that was what she thought. She scolded herself mentally of putting herself down. She deserved him, she really did and Chris reminded her of that all the time.

Her lips tugged at the corners as she softly replied, “Thank you…you too. I mean you look handsome.”

It felt weird complimenting Chris since she never had that privilege other than Tom who only saw her as a friend so it wasn’t anything special. Now that she was with Chris, he would cling to her every word, giving her all the attention that she needed and craved.

Boyfriend, I like the sound of that.

The smile on her face widened at the thought. Taking tiny steps towards her boyfriend, he looped his arm around hers, “Ready to go?” Lucy was grateful that Chris had a key to her house because he would have seen how nervous she really was if she locked up after him. Inhaling and exhaling, she focused on the steps in front of her as she continued to take tiny steps down the steps.

Chris noticed her difficulty in walking, so he scooped her up in his arms leaving Lucy frightened as she screamed. “Chris! What are you doing?” her beet red face covered most of the make-up that was on her face as she wrapped her arms around Chris’ thick neck.

His deep chuckle rumbled through her body as he responded, “I was being the wonderful boyfriend that I am and helping my beautiful girlfriend to the car. Is that alright?”

The way he talked to her was beyond gentle, it was the way Lucy depicted her boyfriend to speak to her. Like she was the only woman in the world and hearing that from Chris meant the world to her. Smiling, she nodded as she leaned onto his shoulder as he walked down the remainder of the steps and gently put her down before opening the car door. Chris was a complete gentleman as she slid into the passenger seat and stared in awe when they arrived at the restaurant.

Her bright red lips were shaped in an ‘o’ as her hazel eyes wandered around the extravagant place that she knew she could never afford in her lifetime. The only person she can think of that can spend this kind of money was Naima since she didn’t spend her money on wasteful things as she said so herself so she had the luxury of eating expensive cuisines. She knew that Tom was on his way of getting paid more and would pass up Naima’s salary within the year because of the buzz that was already created for The Avengers and the rest of the Marvel movies.

Chris on the other hand, she knew that he was well off from what she has seen. His flat was simple, but he had a few things that screamed expensive. Lucy knew better than to argue with Chris about expenses because his answer would be that he wants their first date to be special.

Sitting in the soft chair, she felt out of place as the cushion on the chair probably cost more than her bed and sheets combined. Biting on the inside of her cheek she feared looking at the menu that their waiter placed in front of her. Instead, she looked around to see what other things she can distract herself with, but the only thing she can come up with was guesses on how everything in the room cost.

“Lulu,” Chris laughed, “Are you avoiding looking at the menu?” the light teasing tone in his voice made her cheeks burn in embarrassment.

“No,” she mumbled, “I was just…admiring how beautiful this place was.”

The blonde man didn’t believe her for a second as he dismissed it by asking, “What would you like? You can have whatever you want, no limitations.” Lucy opened her mouth in protest as Chris’ blue eyes gave her a knowing look she quickly closed her mouth as she nibbled on her cheek, “The fish sounds delicious.”

As Chris silently glanced at the menu for himself, her eyes started to wander again before they landed on a couple across the room. The man turned the woman’s head as he kissed her passionately, she smiled lightly seeing how the man didn’t care about showing affection, but it quickly faded when she saw the hesitant look on Naima’s face.

If Naima was here, then it must have been…

How could she be so stupid? Lucy could spot Tom’s curly hair from a distance and yet, tonight she couldn’t identify him? She pursed her lips as her eyes kept staring at the couple as Tom pecked Naima’s lips a few times before Naima’s eyes caught hers.

A deep blush crept on her lips as she avoided her stare looking somewhere else hoping the two wouldn’t come over. So much for a first date, everything was ruined before it even began. What seems like forever, the murmurs of the people all around her were muted when she heard Naima’s voice, “Lulu? What are you doing here?”

Her hazel eyes glanced up to see Naima’s face expression confusion, it has been so long since she has seen her and yet, it felt like Naima has changed. Fiddling with her thumbs, she replied, “I’m on a date.”

Naima’s eyes glanced at Chris with a guarded look, Lucy knew that look from anywhere and seeing her best friend stand taller, she narrowed her eyes at Chris, “And who are you?”

“I’m Chris and you must be Naima. I’ve heard a lot about you.” Chris didn’t miss a beat as he held out his hand towards her. Naima stiffly shook his hand as she mumbled, “Didn’t hear anything about you. So, how did you two meet?”

“Nai.” Tom warned her before he turned towards the couple, “Sorry, Nai wanted to see for herself if it was Lulu and now that we have, we can leave them be.” Naima dismissed his gesture as she stepped closer to Lucy with a concerned look in her eyes.

“Lu, can you come with me to the bathroom?”

Lucy agreed as she excused herself from her date, she can hear Tom apologizing to Chris as he laughed it off as she heard something that everything he told him about her was true. The hazel eyed woman didn’t know if that was a good thing or bad thing when it concerns Naima. Stepping into the bathroom, Lucy felt less than beautiful as she stood in front of her best friend.

Naima was a bombshell compared to Lucy and standing face to face made her realize how lucky she was for snatching up someone like Chris. It wasn’t just coincidence, Chris bumped into Naima first, and she was a firm believer that he would have been interested in her just like the rest of them.

Lucy folded her arms across her chest in defense as she muttered, “Was there something you wanted to talk about?”

“Lu,” Naima’s voice became soft and tender as she looked at her best friend, “I am so sorry that you had to witness what you did a while ago. That was embarrassing for Tom and myself…”

Lucy immediate response was, “Don’t worry about it.”

“No,” Naima firmly said, “I had no idea that you felt that way about Tom, I had no idea until I saw that heartbroken look in your eyes that day and clearly you have gotten over it with that man waiting for you outside.” Naima jabbed her finger towards the bathroom door.

Lucy shook her head, “You don’t get it.” Her frustration was building as once again, Naima didn’t understand what she was going through, “I just feel weird seeing you and Tom together since you repeatedly told me that you aren’t ready for a relationship and yet, here you are acting like you are in one. What’s going on there?”

She saw Naima frown at the assumption, “What is going on between Tom and I, is what has been happening since we’ve met. Except for the sex and kisses, everything else is completely the same.”

Lucy saw the denial written all over her face, it was clear as day that Naima was starting to build walls around her again. Why she was building walls around someone like Tom is idiotic especially since they both know that Tom would never intentionally hurt either one of them. Of course, she didn’t say anything knowing Naima wouldn’t take her advice and she couldn’t blame her.

Naima had a horrible track record with men.

“Are you happy? With Chris?” Naima spoke up with a pleading look.

Lucy looked up at her tall friend as she saw the mixed emotions of hoping that she was alright, that she was fine and wasn’t so heartbroken like that day. Naima might have stolen Tom’s attention, but she wasn’t going to steal Chris’, not romantically anyways and without knowing, a smile crept on her face.

“I’m getting there.”

Naima smiled back, “Good. I miss you Lulu.” All Naima’s emotions, the one that she would never show to strangers like Chris was easily knocked down as she showed how happy she was for Lucy. Lucy couldn’t help, but to embrace her friend holding back the tears as she mumbled into Naima’s shoulder, “I miss you too Nai.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not much of Chris, but like I said, it's going to be time lined with Tongue Tied so there will be stuff in there that won't be in here, only summaries of what happens.

Thanks for the comments,

BlueDreams (Lucy shouldn't, but that is a lot harder to do. She has been so stuck on Tom for so long she doesn't know how to untangle herself from her. Lucy trapped herself around him so tightly that only time will tell if she truly lets go of him. You shall see if Chris can handle Lucy being bent over heels for Tom.)

Crayonbox Romance