To Call For Hands From Above

Side A

Although it all started with one issue, It took another issue to make matters worse but better at the same instant. I'd give my right arm to know why it happened to me but as someone who is far too aware of the way they over-think matters, I shook it off before it made my head spin. It was only a month ago, only just about. As I sit in a public park somewhere in Manchester, chewing dreamily on a McDonalds Cheeseburger, I let my mind wander over all the things that have happened since then.

My story jumps the traffic lights when I began work experience here, in Garage Recording Studios and I meet Leo. I'd been in a serious argument with Tony , my at-the-time boyfriend quite recently. He wasn't happy about my moving some 50 miles away for a whole semester. I was angry and even though there wasn't a good thing I could say about him, I still felt this undying love for him. Yet I could easily go without him. I remember being half asleep on the train, the spot where Tony had smacked me around the head hurting a little at it pressed against the window. I knew that I couldn't let Tony treat me like that and as a rcoked up version of a pop song ended, Jose Gonzalez's cover of the knife floated through my earphones and I can clearly still hear the soft melody.

To call for hands of above
to lean on
wouldn't be good enough
for me, no.


When I think of Leo, I'll always remember the first time we met. It was on my first day at work in the studios, Frankie, the boss was showing me around the storage spaces when we ran into him, laden with cables looped around his arms. He was clean but not in an OCD, clinical way. He was slightly lanky with a naturally chilled out facial expression.

"Lottie, this is Leo," Said Frankie as we were passing him in a corridor. "He is our technician. You'll be working with him a fair amount I should imagine." Leo chuckled sarcastically and then his soft voice floated out of his slightly open mouth.

"Ignore that," he said, scratching his head, making the simple gesture extremely attractive. "Thats just a fancy job title. I'm an odd-jobber." He smiled weakly, looking at the cables covering his arms. I couldn't help but smile back.

"Nice to meet you" I answered, realizing that a moment had past in silence where no one had said anything and for the duration, I'd been gawking at Leo.

I'd enjoyed my first two days at work, getting to know the workers and learning more about audio recording. I had forgotten about Tony until I got into my temporary home on the second day of work later to find that my facebook had been hacked by Tony, he had left a private note for me that said that he'd know if I'd spoken to another Man. I felt a pang of horror at the move too far and I wrapped my arms around myself in protection. I quickly changed my password and considered deleting the note. I couldn't find the strength.

Then appeared a notification; Leo Wants to be friends. I thought about it carefully. Accept.

As the days go on, I find myself at the piano often, learning sheet music that bands had left behind. The music was always very well written and I found that they would resonate around my head for hours after. Sometimes Frankie would hang around the live room explaining that he enjoyed my playing and Leo would hum along as he tidied up after recording sessions. I felt comfort in every note. Every day I felt my heart began to pick up its pace whenever Leo was within a few meters from me.

Leo was kind, respectful and had a great sense of humor. He was always interested in what I had to say I'd soon realized that there was a strong tension between us at the same time that I'd been subconsciously been trying to shake off Tony's constant phone calls and text messages.

On the Tenth day of my work experience, Leo asked me to his flat for dinner. I thought about it carefully. I accepted.