To Call For Hands From Above

Side B

It started when I'd agreed to meet up with the lovely Leo and I was waiting outside the train station dressed in my going out clothes and I saw him approach with his Aviators and khaki jacket. I'd realised I'd agreed to go out on a date whilst already having a boyfriend and I'd felt no shame or guilt what-so-ever. I tried to make myself feel some sort of remorse and failed.

Leo was in neat black jeans with no holes in (which seemed to be a rare occurrence for him) and a plain black T-shirt. His hair was much neater than normal making me realise that he'd made a real effort for this Evening.

"Hey," he says as he stops just less than a meter away and shines an adorable smile at me. "Are you ready?" I pushed myself from the wall I was leaning against and smiled at him back.

"Sure!" I replied. He held his hand out and I took it. No guilt at all. We started walking away from the train station. "So where are you taking me?"

"Thats your choice," said Leo with a mischievous smile on his face. "Either an Italian restaurant, theres a nice one about 5 minutes walk away or I'll take you to my flat and I'll cook you something nice." I thought about this carefully, weighing up my options. I didn't have much money and I didn't fancy letting him pay for an expensive Italian meal.

"Lets go to your place." His eyebrows raised. I guessed that he wasn't expecting that. Well, neither was I to tell the whole truth. I've always been such a shy and careful person.

"Well, okay" he answered and we continued to walk through the increasingly changing city as day turned into evening. Day workers were rushing to get home and others were coming out to play.

It was a short walk to a modern apartment block that Leo called his home. The lift was out of order so the two of us hiked up to the third floor and through a door that Leo had quickly unlocked. The flat was as modern as the appearance of the building outside. The furnishings fit in well being sleek and minimal with touches of futuristic flare.

He led me through into a kitchen, dining room and living area all in one room and I dug in my bag to pull out and present a bottle of wine to Leo. He took it with a small chuckle and took it to the kitchen to collect some glasses.

"I brought it just in case." I explained. He chuckled again and poured us a drink each.

"I'm glad," he replied. "Although I don't have much food in. Would you mind a burger and chips?"

"Not at all. That sounds like a plan!" I couldn't say no to junk food!

I sat on one of the leather sofas whilst Leo stood, cooking. We chatted and laughed through easy conversation while we sipped the Rose wine. The ease of the situation and the fact that the corners of my mouth began to ache from the constant smiling and laughing blew me away. It wasn't what I was used to.

Dinner was served and although it was a simple meal, Leo had cooked it well and the wine was still flowing. Two and a half bottles later, we were both sat on one of the sofas, Leo had his laptop open, playing music from his spotify playlist.

I don't know how it happened exactly but conversation died and before I knew it, we were closer before and it was me! I attacked his lips fiercely and feverishly, I hadn't realised how much I'd wanted this until our lips met. Then, I'd noticed that through the heady rush that the song playing through the laptop speakers was Jose Gonzalez's Heartbeats. As the song played through and things between Leo and I quickly escalated, I realised the relevance of the lyrics.

One night to be confused
One night to speed up truth
We had a promise made
Four hands and then away

Both under influence
We had divine scent
To know what to say
Mind is a razor blade

To call for hands of above
To lean on
Wouldn't be good enough
For me, no

One night of magic rush
The start a simple touch
One night to push and scream
And then relief

Ten days of perfect tunes
The colors red and blue
We had a promise made
We were in love

To call for hands of above
To lean on
Wouldn't be good enough
For me, no

To call for hands of above
To lean on
Wouldn't be good enough

And you, you knew the hands of the devil
And you, kept us awake with wolf teeth
Sharing different heartbeats
In one night

To call for hands of above
To lean on
Wouldn't be good enough
For me, no

To call for hands of above
To lean on
Wouldn't be good enough
For me, no


It was that night that I made a conscious decision that even though what I had with Leo wouldn't be able to last, I had to get rid of Tony. He was manipulative and abusive and although I loved him, I could now see through the rose-tinted glasses that he wasn't a good person.

I had told Leo (after we had finished our session of pure lust) about everything. His face dropped when I had told him that I had a boyfriend but he had told me that he thought I was beautiful and that he had hoped to see more of me in the future. I had replied, telling him that if it was meant to be, we'd keep in contact and maybe find each other somewhere further down the line.

So there I was, the morning after my night with Leo, sat on a park bench in Manchester trying to find all the strength I hoped I had to dial Tony's number. I was listening to heartbeats on repeat. It had become my Leo song and I was hoping that it would aid me in my soul searching. I stared at my mobile phone intently, searching for a leg-up from whatever god was listening.

Then, I felt something powerful in my muscles and joints and my brain. I pressed the necessary button and held my phone to my ear.

"Tony? It's over."
♠ ♠ ♠
Fin. :)