Dormant Senses

You're Like A Slow Song, Starting To Acelerate.

Monday

Beat up and hurt, Alexander made his way into the school the next morning. He trudged through the halls until he made it into the main office.
'Alexander Gaskarth.' He said front office lady.
'Yes, why are you so late sweetie?'
'Doctor appointment.' Alexander lied through his teeth. Not seeming too convinced considering the condition Alexander was in, she reluctantly nodded and pulled out a slip, excusing him for his absence. He thanked her and walked painfully back down the halls towards his physics class. He opened the door and found everyone not in their usual seats. He glanced at the blackboard and realized they had a project to do with a partner.
'Great, now I have to work by myself because I just had to be a big baby about things after last night.' Alexander sighed and walked to his usual seat. To his surprise, Jack, Rian, and Zack were still seated together. A worried look crossed over Jack as soon as Alexander came to his vision.
'Alexander, are you okay?' Zack said as soon as he sat down. He too had a concerned look on his face as he gave Alexander a once over.
'Pretty fucking peachy.' Alexander retorted. He didn't want everyone to stare at him so he buried his face into his binder, seeming more concerned with the lines of his blank piece of paper. He didn't look up when he heard two chairs being pulled back like someone was getting up.
'Hey Lex... Hey.' Alexander looked up at Jack who was staring at him.
'Lex?' Alexander scrunched up his nose at this new nickname. Jack blushed and rubbed his hand over the back of his neck.
'M'sorry. Didn't mean to call you that.' Alexander shook his head and partially smiled.
'I like it. What made you call me that?' Alexander tilted his head to the side as Jack brought his hand back down to his lap.
'The guys and I were thinking of nicknames for you. As a group we call you Alex but for me, well I'm special and I get to call you Lex.' Alex's heart fluttered in his chest and he smiled at Jack. Jack's smiled soon faded as the worried look crept back onto his face.
'So um, why do you have a cut on your face?' Jack's hand lightly touched the small cut right above Alex's right eye.
'Um, I ran into a door. Repeatedly.' Alex looked down at his hands as Jack dropped his hand back to his lap.
'Uh huh. So how many times did this said door keep hurting you?'
'I dunno... I became unconscious...' Alex said barely above a whisper. Jack refrained himself from getting up and hunting down Alex's father and beating him until he was dead just for the sake of Alex being okay.
'Come 'er.' Jack held open his arms, allowing Alex to fall into them. Jack didn't care if anyone saw, he held a crying Alex into his arms, trying to protect him from all evil. He saw the teacher approach them and ask if they would like to go into the hallway. Jack didn't hesitate as he dragged the sobbing Alex into the hall and sit down on the frigid floor.
'A-and h-he kept o-on hit-hitting me o-over a-and over a-again Ja-jack.' Alex said into Jack's shoulder. He was now done sobbing but his hiccuping didn't stop. Jack hugged him tighter and placed his head on top of Alex's own. He stroked his golden-brown hair and mumbled things like 'everything's going to be okay' but honestly, who was he to know if it really was?

___

Jack convinced Alex to skip and go to the mall with him. He was already tired with school even though it was only first period, but seeing Alex like that made him think of a way to distract the boy.
'Oh! They're so cute! Don't you think they're just to die for Jack?' Alex said as he pressed his face into a window full of puppies. They barked back eagerly and wagged their tails in pure happiness.
Jack smiled and dragged Alex inside. Alex immediately got down on his knees when an orange cat approached them.
'Hey pretty lady. What's your name?'
'Her name is Biscuit.' A little girl with big brown eyes said from behind the counter. He light caramel hair flowed behind her as she approached both boys.
'Well Biscuit is such a cutie.' Alex said as he picked up the cat and petted it's head. Alex held Biscuit out to the little girl and she wrapped both of her arms around it.
'Thank you.' I found her on the street and told my mom if we can keep her.' Alex smiled as he reached down to pet the cat once more.
'I'm sorry, Mindy here let's Biscuit out whenever without my permission.' An older looking form of what Mindy looked like said as she approached Jack and Alex.
'No worries, I love cats almost as much as I love dogs.' Alex said to the women.
'Well that's good. I'm Mallory.' She extended out her hand and shook both of the boys hands.
'I'm Jack and this is Alex. Do you mind if we can see one of these cuties?' Jack said as he pointed down to one of the dogs.
'Sure, which one?'
'Oh ! Oh! The Italian Greyhound!' Alex practically shouted at Mallory.
'Sure thing!' She reached down and puked up the Italian Greyhound and held it out for Alex to hold it. He took the little cute dog into his arms and kissed it's head.
'Aww Jack, she's such a sweetheart!' Alex squealed. The dog whimpered and went to lick Alex on the lips.
'She must be hungry. I should feed her.' Mallory took the little puppy into her arms and carried her towards the back. Jack told Alex to look at other puppies as he walked towards the back where Mallory headed.
'How much does she cost?' Jack said to Mallory who was currently giving the dog warm milk.
'Well she's about three hundred. No one really shops here so they're pretty cheap.' Jack nodded and bit his lip. He neared Mallory and looked down at his hands.
'Can you hold her for me until later on? I want to get her for my friend out there but it has to be between us.' Jack petted the soft head and smiled.
'Sure thing, I'll give you a week okay?' Jack smiled widely. They walked back to the front and watched Alex play with Mindy and Biscuit.
'Hey, we're leaving Lex.' Alex frowned and got back up.
'We can have a play date soon!' Mindy said as she tugged onto Alex's hand.
'I'll looking forward to it little lady.' Jack and Alex left the pet store. Alex grabbed onto Jack's arm and smiled up at him.
'I'm having such a good time today. I really forgot about everything.' Jack smiled and wrapped his arm around Alex's shoulder.
'Alright, well let's go back to my place to get something to eat.'
'Okay!'

___

Jack opened the door to his house, completely oblivious that both of his siblings were there.
'Hey Jack-o!' Jack jumped in mid-air and turned around to find Joe standing by the door way. He chuckled and looked past Jack and saw Alex.
'You must be Jack's new b-' Before Joe could finish his sentence, Jack dragged him into the living room.
'He's not my boyfriend Joe.. He doesn't even know I'm gay.' Joe nodded and looked to see Alex still standing in the doorway. He was looking at the pictures that were hung on the wall of the family. Jack walked back to him and dragged him to the kitchen.
'Well, I'm a shitty cook so, please ask for something simple." Alex giggled and looked at his choices.
'Well, we can order takeout? I have five bucks in my bag...'
'Don't be silly. Jack's getting fat because he orders too much takeout.' A girl with long brown hair and big brown eyes walked into the kitchen.
'I'm May, I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting.' She extended out a well manicured hand and Alex shook it gently.
'Alexander...' Alex mumbled under his breath. Jack grabbed his sister and walked out into the living room.
'May, he's a little shy so like, don't pressure him into talking okay?' May nodded and followed Jack back into the kitchen.
'Well, a little takeout won't hurt anyone. Alexander, do you like Mexican food because there's this awesome place that delivers nearby?' Alex nodded and fiddled his fingers together.
'Great, I'll call.' May grabbed the phone and walked out into the living room.
'Lemme give you the grand tour.' Jack said to Alex. Alex smiled and followed Jack throughout the house.
***
They arrived to Jack's room last which was down in the basement.
'This is the best place in the house.' Jack went downstairs after letting Alex in first.
'Woah, this is awesome.' Alex stood in awe and he looked around Jack's room. He had a Foosball table in the corner alongside an old version of Pac Man. He had a whole wall dedicated to posters and his bed was enormous.
'I'm jealous of your room.' Alex glanced next to Jack's bed and spotted a guitar. He ran to the side and picked it up.
'Oh my God! You play guitar?' Alex said as he placed the guitar on his lap.
'From time to time. What about you?'
'I used to work at a music store in Vermont and I would play the guitar and sing to entertain the customers.'
'What songs?' Alex looked up and found Jack sitting on his bed.
'Songs I wrote. They're not good though.'
'Can I hear one?' Alex bit his lip and looked down.
'Promise me you won't judge me?'
'Lex, no one is judging you here.' Alex nodded and strummed the guitar.
'Jack, you haven't tuned this guitar. How do you play?' Jack blushed and rolled his eyes.
'I can't tune a guitar to save my life, Zack does it for me. He works at a music store.' Alex chuckled and tuned the guitar to its perfect pitch.
'Um it's called Deathbed... I'm probably going to sound a little rusty since I haven't performed this in awhile.'
'I highly doubt that, let's hear it.' Alex smiled and strummed his fingers as he began to sing.
***
'Oh my fucking God. I swear that that was probably, no wait, is the best thing I have ever heard in my life. You have a beautiful box dude.' Jack said as he got up and hugged Alex. Jack pulled back slightly and looked down at Alex. Alex had his arms wrapped tightly around Jack's waist and he was slowly stepping up to kiss Jack when May called from the top of the steps.
'Boys! Food is finally here!' Alex pulled back and turned bright red as he climbed up the stairs first with Jack dragging his feet behind.
'Thanks May.' Jack muttered to his sister who arched an eyebrow in return to his comment. They sat down in the living room and ate while the watched American Idol.
'What's this show about?' Alex asked Jack who was currently shoving a taco in his mouth.
'It's a show about people who audition and like they sing for everyone cover songs and they choose a winner and the winner gets a record deal and shit. I think you should audition.' Alex blushed and picked up his taco.
'Don't be silly Jack.' Alex mumbled before taking a bite out of his taco.
'I agree with Jack. You have such a lovely voice.' May said. Both Jack and Alex turned to look at her.
'You left the door slightly opened Jack. I was walking by when I heard you sing and I knew it wasn't Jack because he sounds like a dying whale.'
'Ha ha, very funny May.' May smiled and took a sip of her diet soda.
'If it makes you feel any better, you sound like a cute dying whale.'
'Get out May.' Jack instructed.
'Fine! I'll leave you two alone.' May collected her things and walked down the hall to a bedroom decorated with something pink. Alex heard the door close and he looked at Jack.
'I bet you don't sound like any sort of dying whale. Cute or ugly.' Alex reassured.
'No, she's right. I sound like a dying whale. At least I'm a sexy dying whale.' Jack winked at Alex who laughed and continued to watch the show.

___

'You have to stay for dinner Lex!' Jack urged.
'I have to get to work... And you know how my father is....' Jack had completely forgot to be honest. He was having so much fun with Alex that he didn't want the day to end.
'Can you just take me to work please?' Jack nodded and grabbed the keys to his car. They drove in silence the whole ride. Jack pulled into a parking space and turned the car off.
'I'll see you tomorrow in school okay?' Alex said threw puppy dog eyes.
'Yeah, okay. Do you have a cell phone? Cause you can text me after work.' Alex nodded and pulled out the oldest looking phone in the book of oldest looking phones according to Jack. It was a flip phone and Jack had never seen one in person, not even his parents carried a phone like that. Jack grabbed the phone from Alex's hand and dialed in his number.
'There. Now text me when you leave okay?'
'Okay Jack, see ya.'
'Bye Alex.' Alex got out of the car and entered his work, leaving Jack to relive the days events on his own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally he gets to be called Alex! Lol. Yeah his friends establish his name, not his family \m/
Warped Post About OM&M!
Deathbed - There For Tomorrow