Golden Ebony

Prologue

A man walked through a dark corridor, darkness cascading like an Onyx blanket in every direction as the cock crowed loudly somewhere in the valley. Dawn would break soon and he had merely minutes to complete his task before light would show truth. He stalked through the hall, seeming to melt into the wall until he reached his destination. Cautiously, he creaked open the bedroom door and slipped into the room. Inside everything was still and calm, the sleeping body of Princess Kaira lay feet away from where he stood, but he was reluctant. With every step towards the bed he contemplated on taking two steps back, but restrained. Finally, he was standing next to her still form and if he held his breath he could scarsley see her breathe, as if she knew the horrible deed that needed to be done. Even in the darkness of the room, the mighty dagger he held in his hand seemed to glint visiously. This had been what he trained for, this one single moment the he held in his mere hand had taken years to accomplish, and it wasn't that difficult compared to many other assasinations that he had comitted. But still, he faltered. This precious and beautiful woman had done nothing to harm him or anyone else, for that matter. Why did she need to die? Never the less, his reluctance had vanished and he sank the blade into her chest, sure and true. Dark crimson liquid soiled her night gown and pooled on her side. Pink hews of dawn light shown through the window in rays of beauty. But no one saw it, for the man was gone, leaving nothing but a breeze from an open window.