Higher Than Hope

Chapter 14

"Too bad we can't linger for a bit in London, but if we get on the plane faster we can have more fun in Copenhagen", said Magnus as both teams boarded a British Airways flight at Heathrow to Copenhagen.

"Da, I had a layover at Heathrow when waiting for my flight to Toronto when I come from Russia. You can't see anything from the airport", said Nail.

"Da, ya paneymat. But at least we will have fun in Copenhagen", said Semyon.

"Magnus, what's the legal drinking age over there?", asked Taylor, a bit of hope in his voice.

"Magnus tried to smile, an amused look on his face. "The drinking age is 18 for beer and wine and 20 for spirits. So none of you have to spike soda with liquor", he joked.

"Dude, awesome. And real beer, right? Not that stupid light beer shit?", asked Jordan.

"Ja, real beer. And in Sweden, all liquor is 18 and up, I ought to buy you some brannvin", teased Magnus.

"And don't forget salmiakki, I have yet to meet a non-Finn who could drink it", he added.

"Guys, you forget that we don't have stomach linings made of titanium", said Ryan dryly.

"What is salmiakki?", asked Nail.

"It's Koskenkorva vodka and licorice, you dissolve the licorice in the vodka. Koskenkorva is already very strong and when you add the licorice it gets even stronger, it tastes exactly like you would expect", said Magnus, chuckling at the horrified looks on their faces.

"Nyet spasibo, Paajarvi. That sounds like too much and I'm Russian", said Semyon with a shudder.

"And who says us Swedes are wimps", deadpanned Magnus.

The plane touched down at Kastrup airport three hours late as it taxied over to the gate, the teams getting their bags and following the coaches off the plane. It was just past noon and a slight breeze came from the nearby Oresund, the sky a brilliant blue with only a few puffy clouds overhead as the team was led towards the adjacent train station. "Let's crash at the hotel for a bit and then we'll go out for dinner and more later", said Ryan as they waited for the train.

"Magnus, you know any good places here in Copenhagen?", asked Taylor.

"Ja, but what do you feel like having. Danish food is all right but it a lot of fish and is a bit bland, plus everything has cream sauce. If you want that, there's plenty of places that have it. But you can find anything in Copenhagen, and we can drink Carlsberg later", he replied just as the train arrived.

"Uh, no thanks. Is there any place that has hamburgers?", asked Taylor.

"Ja, but we didn't come here to have burgers", laughed Magnus.

"Is there any place here that has Mexican food?", asked Matt.

"Don't mind him, Matt discovered Mexican food in Denver and how he's obsessed", said Paul dryly as the younger man flipped him off.

"Yeah, there's this really good place called El Susta La Mexicana that my cousins and I go to when we're in Copenhagen. They make the food as spicy as you want the margaritas use really good tequila, the 1800 label. And since the drinking age here is eighteen, we can enjoy some", replied Magnus with a chuckle.

"Margaritas are a girly drink, Magnus", said Nail dubiously, remembering seeing girls in Sarnia order the lurid green mushy cocktails that resembled little more than alcoholic slurpees.

"Nej, these are real margaritas, not that frozen slop. That is why you only have margaritas at real Mexican restaurants, there aren't any decent ones in Edmonton but when we do a California road trip or go to Dallas, you will see what I mean", said Magnus.

"Magnus dude, you are now in charge of entertainment", teased Jordan as the group squeezed into a booth at El Susta La Mexicana.

"Tack sa mycket, Jordan", said Magnus modestly as a waitress came over with a tray of margaritas. The restaurant was quite an incongruous sight, looking like a typical Tex-Mex place plopped down in central Copenhagen. It was decorated in a kitschy style of walls painted dark orange adorned with sombreros, pinatas shaped like animals, brightly-colored serapes and miniature cacti in terra-cotta pots, a jukebox in the corner playing La Grange by ZZ Top.

Nail took a sip of his Margarita and nodded in approval, the tart taste of lime going well with the kick of the tequila and a hint of salt. "See Nail, this is a real margarita. A proper one doesn't have a ton of ice", said Magnus.

Nail nodded as the waitress came by with a shot of tequila for everyone and a shaker of salt, taking their orders and going back to the kitchen. "For the noobs here, this is how you drink tequila", said Matt. The younger members of the group watched as he sprinkled a bit of salt on the back of his hand and licked it, then knocking back the tequila in one shot.

"Why do you need the salt?", asked Taylor.

"Because tequila has such a strong taste and a strong a kick, the salt takes some of the sting out. If you don't, the tequila is going to kick your ass", he explained.

Nail just shrugged and imitated Matt, feeling the golden agave liquor go through him. He shuddered slightly at the strength, the liquid going down and making him feel warm. "Not bad, but that is enough for me", he said with a little chuckle.

"I know, tequila's not for everyone. I never drank any until I arrived in Denver, we don't do tequila in Ontario", said Matt.

"Yeah, just Crown and Seagrams. And don't corrupt the kids here", teased Paul.

"Nah, we're just showing the noobs the ropes, bro", he laughed as the waitress brought over a platter of nachos.

"Those are jalapenos, sometimes they can be real spic if they're fresh", said Matt helpfully.

Nail took a bite of his chip and his eyes widened as he bit into a slice of jalapeno. "Da, I had one of the peppers", he muttered, finishing the chip and taking a sip of his margarita.

"You're not used to it, dude", said Matt.

"Matt, you're the one who insisted on taking us to that chili place in Boulder where the stuff gave me the runs", retorted Paul.

"I had no problem, you're just a wimp", joked Matt.

"Geez, you two are like an old married couple. You guys have a serious bromance going on", laughed Jordan.

"And so do you and Taylor, Ebs", retorted Matt with a smile.

After dinner, the group split the bill and left behind a tip as Magnus led them back outside. "I know this really good place called Rust in Norrebro, it's a big complex with all sorts of loud music and several clubs and discos inside. It's a lot of fun if you like dancing", he chuckled as they waited for a bus at the corner.

"Okay, you're the boss. Are there hot chicks there?", asked Taylor slyly.

"Of course, have you ever seen an ugly Scandinavian girl?", retorted Magnus, an amused look in his brown eyes.

The bus headed to Norrebro in northwest Copenhagen was crowded with young revelers on their way to various clubs, one group getting off only to replaced by another. Magnus pressed the magnetic strip as a bell rung and a sign flashed near the front, the bus coming to a stop and the group exiting through the back door. Rust was an enormous building t hat took up nearly an entire city block and about five storeys high, burly doormen guarding the entrance as they checked ID's. The group was led through after showing their ID's as Magnus led them past the first floor with its supply closets and coat checks and up the broad stairs.

"Just go wherever, there's all sorts of live music and discos and they all have bars. When we are about to leave, I'll text you", said Magnus.

Nail just shrugged and saw Taylor and Matt enter a room with the sound system playing loud techno and a crowded dance floor. "Ugh, that shit sucks. Maybe they'll get lucky", said Jordan with a laugh. An adjacent disco appeared to be having an 80's night with a lot of the punters wearing spandex and the girls with huge teased hair as the sound system played Locomotion by Kylie Minogue.

"Da, this very bad too", said Nail in disgust.

"Totally, dude. My older cousin used to play this shit all the time, I know it's kind of slow in Saskatchewan but we're not that far behind the times", said Jordan dryly.

They took the stairs to the next floor and peeked into another disco that played Sweet Dreams by La Bouche to a crowded dance floor. Jordan and Nail had a good laugh when they saw Magnus and Paul enter this particular disco, knowing the music was almost the same age as them.

"I hope there's some place here that has rock, I hate techno and I can't dance", laughed Jordan.

"I would love to hear some country, but I don't think they have that here", said Ryan.

Jordan just laughed as they went upstairs again to get another disco. "Now this is more like it", he said approvingly as they went inside.

Unlike the other discos they had seen here, this one did not have retro dance music and a crowded dance floo. Instead it had a small stage on one side where a 70's cover band was playing Slow Ride by Foghat while the punters of mostly young men in jeans and band t-shirts drank beer and whiskeys. Jordan led them right over to the bar and ordered three Carlsbergs, the bartender pouring them three pints.

"You think Taylor and Matt are going to get lucky?", joked Ryan as he drank his beer.

"Probably, Hallsy's got game and I don't. I mean, I like girls and all but I don't have game like he does", said Jordan, his cheeks turning pink with embarrassment.

"What does that mean, have game?", asked Nail as he drank his beer.

"It means you know how to talk with girls, not all guys know how", explained Ryan.

Nail nodded in understanding as he continued drinking his beer. The band was now playing There Goes Another Love Song by the Outlaws, a wry chuckle escaping his lips as the lyrics seemed to reflect how he felt:

Sometimes I feel I am getting kind of low
Thoughts I am thinking are the reason
So, I try to remember without talking to myself
Things that I said or maybe things that I felt about you

Sitting in the corner of a crowded barroom
People all around me and I still feel alone
Just when I know I'm going to break down and cry
Someone plays a tune that dries the tear from my eye

There goes another love song
Someone's singing about me again
There goes another lover song
Now I need more than a friend
Lonesome and lonely and far from my home
Trying to get back to where I know I belong
Wishing and a-hoping I was already there
I just heard a voice whispered in my ear

Singing...

There goes another love song
Someone's singing about me again
There goes another lover song
Now I need more than a friend

Doo doo doo doo doo..

There goes another love song
Someone's singing about me again
There goes another lover song
Now I need more than a friend

I said...

There goes another love song
Someone's singing about me again
There goes another lover song
Now I need more than a friend

"I miss Anna too, dude. When we get back to Edmonton, we'll do something about them and their dad", said Ryan in understanding.