Status: In Progress

A Match into Water

Chapter 10

Jordan exhaled as he ended the call. “How’s Reina doing?” Taylor dropped himself on the couch next to Jordan. They were over at Ryan Jones’ house for dinner and they were supposed to be relaxing but Jordan found himself becoming more and more angered over Reina’s father. “She’s a bit shaken up.” He said vaguely, not wanting to throw Reina’s personal life out into the open.

“Don’t worry too much, man. Reina’s strong.” Taylor said. “Maybe I should just go down and make sure she’s okay.” Jordan said as he stood up. “You can’t be serious,” Taylor glared at him with disapproval. Taylor always had this notion that Jordan had an intense and impulsive personality, especially when it came to love and relationships. His dedication to Reina was admired by pretty much all the guys but it seemed unreasonable at times.

“I’m so serious, Taylor.” Jordan paced across the living room. “Jordan, Reina’s a big girl, she’s taken care of herself before she met you and she can take even better care of yourself because she’s fully aware that you care for her more. She’s fine.” Jamie, Ryan Jones’ wife, said calmly to Jordan. “You’re right but she didn’t take very good care of herself before she met me.” He said quietly.

“Are you sure you don’t just miss her, Jordan?” Ryan asked him. “Well of course I miss her, I always miss her but she’s vulnerable right now and she needs me.” Jordan replied immediately. “Think about what you just said, man. Does she really need you?”

It hit him. She’s come so far and she doesn’t have a reason to be distraught anymore. “You can’t baby her forever.” Ryan said finally. And he was right, Jordan needs to let her fix things herself instead of jumping in whenever she needed help.
________________________________________________________________________________

Reina found it extremely difficult to focus in class. She didn’t realize how far ahead she had read and could predict every word coming from her professor’s mouth. Finally, the professor dismissed the class and asked to talk to Reina. Being Reina’s favourite professor and favourite class, she found it easy to talk to her about anything. “Is anything wrong, Reina? You seemed off in your own world.” She asked as she packed up her lecture materials.

“I’m fine. Just been a little distracted with convocation stuff.” She said, “Actually, I was offered a job to work with Team Canada’s Field Hockey program.” She revealed to her professor. “That’s a great opportunity Reina, you’re well on your way towards your goal. But that can’t be the only thing keeping you occupied.” She dug further.

“My parents still don’t seem to agree with my choices. They’re so caught up in who they want me to be, they can’t really see the success I’m having.” She confessed to her professor. “You’re 22, Reina. You’re a grown woman and you don’t need your parents to approve of everything you do anymore. They’ll come around.”

Reina stood in silence as she processed what her professor said but that silence was broken by the ringing of her phone. “I’m sorry, thank you for those kind words though.”

“Of course, Reina. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Hello?” she said into the phone as she made her way to her next class. “Hey babe, how are you doing today?” Jordan asked. “I’m fine. I’m at school right now.”

“Good. Don’t waste your time thinking about the past again, okay?” He said gently, which made her miss him more. “I’m trying my best, babe. How are you?” she asked him.

“I’m good. I got back on the ice today so that’s a plus.” He updated her. “Any symptoms?” she started letting her athletic therapy training into the conversation. “No, Dr. Reina. Can I talk to my girlfriend again?” he laughed.

“Sorry, force of habit.” She smiled to herself. “I’m glad to see you’re doing well. I’ll probably be back up there this weekend or the next.” She assured him as she sat down in her lecture room.

“I’m fine, babe. Sure, I miss you but you should focus more on school on not on me.”

“I am. I’ll talk to you later okay? My class should be starting soon.” She said. “Okay, I love you.” Jordan cooed. “I love you too.” She replied in the same tone.
________________________________________________________________________________

“See?” Taylor peeked his head around the corner of the living room, clearly listening in on Jordan’s phone conversation with Reina, “I told you everything would be alright. You worry too much.” He flopped into his usual seat on the couch next to Jordan.

“Whatever man.” Jordan allowed himself to sink into the couch. He lied to Reina. But to be fair, he lied to the trainers after the skate as well. He was a little dizzy and all he wanted was to sleep but he couldn’t tell anyone that. It would just be another setback and another two weeks of no skating to get through.

“You feeling okay, man?” Taylor looked over at Jordan. “I’m fine, Hallsy.” Jordan kept his eyes close, “Just need a little nap.”

“Okay, don’t do anything stupid.” Taylor warned him, not wanting Jordan to make his concussion even worse. “When was the last time I did anything stupid?” Jordan laughed. “Remember that time you had a concussion and decided to not tell anyone about your symptoms?” Taylor looked at him seriously. “I get it Hallsy, I’m fine though.” Jordan argued.

“I’m not afraid to tell on you, Jordan.” Taylor threatened him. “Who are you going to tell? The doctor? My mom?” Jordan said light-heartedly. “No,” Taylor paused for dramatic effect, “I’d tell Reina.” He smiled before walking towards the kitchen. “That’s low, man!” Jordan replied.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was a short chapter, I really didn't know where to take that storyline... I guess you can say I have a little bit writers' block.

Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think.

I'm thinking of drawing this story to an end since I really don't know where to take this anymore =/