Status: In Progress

A Match into Water

Chapter 3

Whenever people find out that Reina is dating the Jordan Eberle - as they would always enunciate the the, they would always assume that Reina is a puckbunny and only dating Jordan because he plays hockey. That was totally wrong on so many levels. Before Jordan, Reina never asked for gifts from her boyfriends. She didn’t believe in that, feeling as though it was like they were trying to buy her love. And even to this day, when Jordan tried to buy her a gift, she would quickly find something in return.

Explaining that was a bother so she didn’t even attempt to explain anymore. By the fourth year of university, you get to know the people in your classes well, most likely having classes, lectures, tutorials, or labs with them before. Regardless, there are always people that don’t know the personal things about Reina so when they get to the topic of boyfriends, she prepares for the blitzkrieg of questions about Jordan and always replying with the answer “I can’t share that with you.” By this point in university, she didn’t want to join in the chatter.

September went by at the rate in which the autumn wind blew out the summer heat. Jordan started his season with the Oilers and she still hasn’t gotten used to not having Jordan protecting her at night. She predicts that by the end of October, she should be able to sleep peacefully.
Every night at exactly ten at night, Jordan would set off her phone with his call to talk and wish her a good night’s sleep even though he knew she was restless without him there – he was the same.

“Hey babe, how was your day?”

“My name has once again been changed to Jordan Eberle’s girlfriend if you’d care to know.”

“I don’t think that’s such a bad name.” he laughed.

“I’d rather you’d be known as Reina Henderson’s boyfriend. I think it has a nice ring to it.”

“One day, babe.” “Is that Reina? Tell her I say hi!” she heard in the background. “Taylor says hi.”

“Return the favour.” “She says hi back” he said unenthusiastically. “I’m glad he can keep you company.”

“Counting down the days until you replace him, babe. What are you up to?” he said dreamily.

“I’m just lying in bed and doing some reading for my lecture tomorrow morning. What are you doing?”

“Same… minus the reading – thinking of you.” He said over the rustling as he adjusted himself in his bed, “What are you wearing?” he said slyly.

She laughed to herself, “Your dress shirt… and some black panties.”

“That’s it? Why can’t I be there?” he said with frustration.

“You’re just busy being a superstar, superstar. How was your game tonight? I didn’t get to catch it.”

“Well, we won…” he said with disappointment.

“But?” she pried.

“But I turned over the puck and we got scored on off that play.” He said critical of himself.

“Don’t beat yourself up. You won’t make the same mistake again.” she tried to cheer him up, “On to the next one.” She encouraged him.

“I know, I know. I’ll go in and review it tomorrow.” He said. Reina could hear that he was still upset with himself and more than anything wishes she could be there to cheer him up.
Reina could sense something else wrong in his voice, “what else is on your mind?”

“Nothing, just don’t stay up too late.” He tried to avoid her concern.

“Jordan…” she said seriously.

Unable to deter her anymore, he broke down, “I’ve been playing like shit and we’re almost halfway through the season. There’s just so much pressure to perform and it’s really taking its toll.”

“I know it’s hard on you, babe. But you love playing under pressure. You just need to relax, let everything go, and play as though you’re playing street hockey again.” she smiled, knowing that that’s what he loved the most.

“I could really use one of your massages to help me get by.”

“I’m sure the Oilers have better massage therapists than me.”

“Sure, but they don’t have the right touch.” He laughed.

“Shut up.” She joked, “It seems like you’re in a better mood, feel better?”

“Just thinking that you owe me a massage helps, but yes. Love you and miss you.”

“Love you and miss you more. Good night, babe.”

“Sweet dreams.” He said before hanging up. Honestly, she wouldn’t be sleeping well tonight. Reina couldn’t help but think back to when they were first together and Jordan was having a tough time performing to sign another contract with so many rumours floating around of him being traded. She didn’t know how to handle it then, it was so new to her and it still is. Regardless of what she says, she believes that nothing will help and she can’t even be with him to hold him or anything.
________________________________________________________________________________

“Taylor, I really fucked up, man.” Jordan groaned over his cup of black coffee. After a night of clubbing with the team, Jordan was regretting absolutely everything he did… or everything he remembers doing.

“Hungover, Ebs?” he patted his best friend, and roommate on the back.

“This isn’t even the worst of it, Hallsy.” He rubbed his temples.

“You didn’t…” Taylor gasped, reading Jordan’s face and remembering the drunken conversation between Jordan and some random blonde at the bar. “Jordan.”

“I blacked out and the next thing I knew, this girl was giving me a hickey and I blacked out again and woke up with her head on my lap and my belt buckle loosened… what the fuck happened?” Jordan said with frustration as he tried to remember the night before.

“From what I remember, you disappeared with her then came back looking a bit too happy.”

“Please don’t tell me I didn’t…” he shuddered, not wanting to say the words.

“I can’t tell you if you did or didn’t.”

“Should I tell Reina?” Jordan chugged the last bit of his coffee.

“Dude! No! You don’t even know what you did. Telling her would be like… suicide.”

“…I’m not listening to you. I’m going to call Jonesy.” Jordan said, not wanting to listen to the immature advice of his best friend.

After explaining what he could remember from the night before compiled with what Taylor saw, Ryan Jones gave his wise opinion: “You fucked up, man, a very drunken fuck up – both as a euphemism and literally.”

“Thanks, Jonesy. Please answer my question.”

“Okay. You should tell her. It’s better if she finds out from you than from… less credible sources.”

“I don’t even know what happened though. If nothing happened, it should be fine though, right?”

“No, no, no. Tell her everything you know. She’ll be mad but not as mad if she were to find out from anyone else. Knowing Reina, she would even punch Hallsy if he told her.”

“Okay, okay. Just know that if I die, you get my half of the apartment.”

“AWESOME! Good luck, man.”

Jordan paced back and forth with his phone in his hand as Taylor watched, waiting for him to dive in and call Reina. “Just do it.” He kept saying to Jordan before finally grabbing his phone and dialling her.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” he dived at Taylor across the kitchen counter.

“Hello?” said the gentle voice of Reina.

“Uhh… hey, Reina.” He said hesitantly.

“Is everything okay, babe?”

“I’m fine… just fine. But umm… I’ll just go right out and say it: I blacked out last night and may or may not have hooked up with a girl.” He paused as he waited for a response. “Rei?”

“I…” she hesitated to find the words but gave up, not knowing what to say.

“I’m so sorry. If there was one thing I could take back, it would be that. I don’t even remember her name – it meant nothing!” He blabbed on and on. “Rei, please say something.”

“I don’t know what to say, Jordan.” She admitted. Her heart jumped to her throat as she tried to process what Jordan had just told her.

“I just feel so bad…”

“Y’know what they say… alcohol makes people do what they really want.” She said with a complete void of emotion in her voice.

“No. Well… it brought out the horny side of me.” He admitted with shame. “Honestly though, I don’t even remember it. It meant absolutely nothing, you’re still the only one I care about, believe me.”

“I do believe you but I’m still hurt.”

“And I’m so sorry about that. The last thing I ever want to do is hurt you.”

A beep interrupted their conversation, “I have to answer this. I’ll talk to you later.” She said lifelessly.

“Okay, I love you!” he said desperately.

“Bye.” Reina hung up, not answering with their usual “to the moon and back.”

“Fuck!” he screamed as he dropped his phone on the counter.

“Dude, it didn’t sound that bad.” Taylor tried to console Jordan.

“You didn’t hear how she was speaking though. She was so cold and… fuck, I really screwed things up this time.” He buried his head into his hands. “I’ll be lucky if she ever talks to me again, let alone forgive me.” He mumbled through his hands.

“Calm down, Reina isn’t like that.” He said as he looked at his watch, “C’mon, let’s go to practice – you can get your mind cleared up.”

“Okay, but if I throw up, you can’t laugh at me.”

“Please, I’d puke before you.” Taylor joked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the huge gap in updates. Again, I didn't really like this chapter and I've been trying to primp and groom it but oh well, it must be done. Let me know what you think!