Status: In Progress

A Match into Water

Chapter 5

Reina always saw boys as predators looking for only one thing. She found it difficult to trust a guy ever since she was very little. But to trust someone long enough to tell him her deepest and darkest secret.

“Rei-baby,” he said trying to comfort her, “If you don’t want to tell me yet, you don’t have to. It would just help me understand.”

She sighed as she finally mustered up the strength to say this, “I met my first boyfriend when I was 15, he was 18 and my parents set us up together because they thought an older guy would make me less reckless because… I was just off the rails. It was great but then he started to get really controlling and he would grab me and push me. Every time he tried touching me, it just felt wrong – like he was going to hurt me every single time.” She said through sobs. “Then one night, when my parents were out of town, he tried to… he came on to me and I told him that I wasn’t ready – I was 15! But he tried and when I finally pushed him away, he…” she lifted up her shirt and showed him a scar on her milky white skin. She never allowed Jordan to see it before.

Jordan didn’t know what to say to comfort her other than gently pet her head and push back the hair that was attacking her face. “It just makes me feel so tarnished.”

“No.” he said as he kissed the scars on her arms, “I still think you’re beautiful if that’s any consolation.”

It was. That was it. Jordan now knew everything about her and that scared her. She didn’t know what it was about Jordan that she was able to share her deepest and darkest secret with, she was so ashamed that night that she didn’t even tell the doctors who stitched her up what really happened.
________________________________________________________________________________
Reina had avoided speaking to Jordan as much as she could and knowing that he was wrapping up his road trip with the Oilers in Calgary did not help keep the thoughts that were consuming her away. After a long day in the lab with not much research analyzed, she was now a day behind schedule which she absolutely hated.

Walking up the steps towards her front door, all the memories of her and Jordan fled back into her mind at each step – where Jordan and Reina had their first kiss, where Jordan asked her to move into his Calgary place, where they made out after having a fight, where he comforted her when she was getting too stressed out from school – all laid out in front of her.

She turned the knob and realized it was unlocked, she swears she locked it after leaving for school that morning – weird, maybe she forgot. Dusting off the snow on her brown leather boots, she noticed extra pairs of shoes on the doormat – again, weird… “Reina!” she heard a familiar voice call her name from the kitchen.

“What?” she said quietly to herself as the footsteps of Jordan’s mother, Lisa, approached her, “Lisa!” she said, surprised. She hugged her boyfriend’s mom as Dustin and Darren followed Lisa.
It seemed like she always met Jordan’s family like this. The first time she met his parents, she had just got home from leading a summer orientation group and found Mr. and Mrs. Eberle sitting in their little breakfast nook. They always seemed happy to see her, thankfully. “I don’t mean to be rude, but what are you doing here?”

“Sorry for letting ourselves in. We thought we’d see if you needed anything for Christmas!” Lisa beamed. “Christmas?” Reina had completely lost track of time spending so much time on her research, she didn’t realize that Christmas was in a week. Thankfully, she always got her Christmas shopping done a few months in advance.

“Yes, silly! I know you’re spending Christmas at our house but I thought we’d help you decorate.” Lisa’s smile didn’t fade. “I’m sorry! I’ve been so busy with school that I completely lost track of time. Oh man, I feel really dumb now.”

“Don’t even worry, honey, we have everything covered!” she said as she pulled Reina into the kitchen, unveiling all the decorations that had been hidden away in the basement, laid out all over her and Jordan’s little kitchen. “Wow.” Her eyes widened at all the stuff.

“Yeah, that’s what I said.” Dustin said as he put his arm on her shoulder, “Have you and Jordan made up yet?” he said quietly into her ear before Reina shook her head.

“We’ll help you decorate tomorrow. Tonight, we’re meeting up with Jordan for dinner. I sure hope you don’t have class tomorrow morning, Reina.” Said Mr. Eberle. “Uhh… I don’t.” she said, trying to hide her nerves at the idea of seeing Jordan after what he’d done.

“Awesome! It should be a great night!” Dustin nudged Reina.

“Oh no, I forgot your ornament at home.” Lisa said after glancing over the decorations, “Darren, we need to run back and pick it up.”

“Okay, hon. Dustin, you coming?”

“I’ll just hang out with my future sister-in-law.” Dustin smiled as Reina punched him.

“Okay, we’ll be back in half an hour.” Lisa said as they put on their jackets. Once Mr. and Mrs. Eberle left, Dustin turned to Reina and said, “You really don’t want to go to this dinner, do you?”

“No, not really.” Reina said as she collapsed onto the couch. “C’mon, the man is genuinely sorry and would die if he saw you tonight.”

“Dustin, you’re not helping at all,” Reina said as she rubbed her forehead. “Can’t you just let it go?”

“No, I can’t just let it go. Jordan’s still an awesome man but-” “Stop, stop right there.” “But-, he’s still a man."

“That sounds like you understand him.”

“Dustin stop.”

“No Reina, what’s the problem? You guys have been together for years, are you just going to let one incident tear you apart?”

“It’s not just one incident. There could have been multiple incidents over these years.” “Yes… COULD, Reina, there could have been multiple incidents and if I know my brother, even if there were, he would regret it immediately because he loves you more than anything in the world.” Dustin stood up, frustrated at Reina’s incoherency.

Reina heard a knock on the door and went to answer it, assuming it was Jordan’s parents, telling Dustin to keep his mouth shut as she opened the door, revealing Jordan on her doorstep in his game-suit and heavy wool coat. His cheeks were red as he smiled at her, “Hey, I forgot my key.” He stepped towards her, “Are you going to let me in, or are you still mad at me?” his smile faded.

“I’m not… I just have a lot on my mind.” “That’s an understatement!” Dustin yelled through the house. “Shut up! But come in, you must be freezing.” She said as she grabbed his hand and pulled him into the house. Regardless of how cold it was outside, his hand was still warm and Reina was tempted to just cuddle with him again.

“Rei,” he said after he kicked off his dress shoes and threw off his jacket. After so many times of seeing him all dressed up in his pre-game attire, she still couldn’t help but stare at him and gawk. “We really need to talk about this.” He said, concerned.

“We really do, but don’t you have to get to your game?”

“Yes, but if I don’t resolve this with you, I won’t be able to concentrate at all.” He guided her to the living room where Dustin was waiting. “’Sup, big bro?”

“Get out.” Jordan said. “Warm welcome, I see. I love you too, man, nice seeing you!” Dustin joked.

“Get out, Dustin.” Jordan and Reina said in unison. “Okay, okay, I get the message!” Dustin said as he hurried out of the room.

“You do realize he’s still listening, right?” Reina said quietly to Jordan. “Yes, I’m aware, but I’m okay with that. Reina, I don’t want you to be mad at me or feel like you can’t trust me.” Jordan sat across from Reina on the couch and held her tiny hand in his. “I’m not mad at you and I trust you but-“

“Then what’s the problem?”

“I don’t know, I just feel like I made the wrong decision. I don’t like hearing that you’ve drank so much that you’ve blacked out. That scares me.”

“And you’re worried that I’ve done other things.” He finished her thought. “Yes,” she looked at him sadly.

“Reina, I’m stupid and imperfect but regardless of whatever happens or what has happened, I still and will always love you.” He said with sincerity. “You are stupid and no, you’re not perfect.” She agreed with him, to his dismay, “but I love you too.” She gave into his icy blue eyes in full-on puppy dog mode. And almost on cue, Jordan’s parents arrived again.

“Hey hon!” Darren yelled through the house when he saw Reina and Jordan cuddled up on the couch, “Jordan’s here!”

“He is?” she ran through the house with a red and white box in her hands. By then, Jordan had gotten up and greeted his father and was then smothered into a huge hug by his mom. “Oh Jordan, it’s been too long.”

“Mom, it’s been three weeks. You see me more than Rei and she’s fine.” He said through a smile.

“I know, but it’s Christmas and you know how I am around this time of the year.” She smiled as she held him at arm’s length, inspecting him, “Here.” She thrusted the box into his hands, “Can you believe it’s your fifth Christmas together?” she turned to Reina who was also up from the couch.

“It’s been a ride,” she smiled as Jordan winded his left arm around her waist.

“Well? Open it!” Mrs. Eberle said with excitement.

In sync, the two of them opened the box and pulled out the baseball sized snowglobe of an ornament with a miniature outdoor rink with the players wearing Oilers’ and Flames’ jerseys, “this is-“ Reina stumbled on her words.

“Perfect.” Jordan finished her sentence.

“Oh, you two.” Lisa smiled as she pulled the both of them into a hug.

“Mom, stop.” Jordan laughed as he felt his phone ringing in his pocket, “I have to go.” He pulled away and answered his phone, “Yeah, I’ll be right out.” He said to Steve Tambellini’s personal driver whom Jordan borrowed. “I’ll see you at dinner,” he said as he hugged his parents.

Reina walked Jordan to the door and simply watched as he put on his shoes and helped him with his jacket. “Tell him to drive safely,” she said softly as she fixed his collar.

“Don’t worry, he’s a better driver than me.” He assured her.

“Anyone’s a better driver than you,” she smiled. “I’ll see you after the game,” she kissed him goodbye.

“Oh yeah,” he said as he reached for the doorknob, “I almost forgot, you’re coming up to Edmonton for the team Christmas party, right?”

“Yeah, of course.” She promised him. She hadn’t been able to go to the other Christmas parties as she had been busy with school and internships.

“Awesome.” He smiled as he left.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long gap between updates. School, family vacation, it's been insaaane.

Okay, I hope that wasn't too cheesy because I realize that my first drafts are usually really cheesy and I can never cut out something that I wrote haha. So... They made up! There's a party in the next one and another flashback... it'll all come together soon. I PROMISE =)

Thanks for reading!