Status: In Progress

A Match into Water

Chapter 6

“Jordan!” she yelled through his apartment in Edmonton, “Are you ready yet?”

“Yeah, help me out please?” he stuck his head outside the bedroom.

“What is it?” she laughed as she turned into his room, watching Jordan struggle with his new tie that his mom had bought him.

“Wow,” he said before even answering her. He looked her up and down as she was draped in a gorgeous black dress with lace overlay with her chocolate brown hair curled into perfect ringlets.

“How do I explain us being late because you were getting ready?” she giggled as she tried to fix his tie. “Shut up.” He kissed her. “How did you even get this so tangled?” she struggled to loosen the knot he had created. Mrs. Eberle had bought this tie because she wanted it to match Reina’s dress which it did so perfectly. “Jordan Eberle, do you honestly now know how to tie a tie yet?” she raised her eyebrows.

“I do…” he said as he watched her hands work to build the knot. “Are you sure?” she laughed. “Just tie my tie, woman.” He laughed as he touched his forehead to hers.

“Okay, you’re all done.” She smiled. “You clean up good, boy” she smiled as she observed her work.

They were on their way to the team Christmas dinner and Reina was nervous as she never really met the other players other than Taylor Hall, Taylor Fedun and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. As they made their way to the party, Jordan could fell how tense she was through the grip of her hands as they walked down the icy pathway, “You okay?” he said with concern.

“Yeah,” she smiled weakly, “just a big nervous.” she said reluctantly. “You have nothing to be nervous about, they don’t bite… well not all of them bite.” He joked which made Reina smile.

The moment they stepped into the party, Reina’s nerves escalated exponentially and her hands started to tremble to which Jordan took notice. “I’m right here,” Jordan whispered into her ear.
Reina tried to mingle as Jordan conversed with people but she ended up retreating to a couch when Jordan was dragged away by Ryan Jones. Reina sat by herself nervously on the couch, not knowing how to handle all the people socializing around her. “Rei,” Taylor Hall leaned over the head of the couch with a beer in hand, “c’mon! Socialize!” he nudged her before getting distracted and leaving her alone again.

“Reina!” Ryan Nugent-Hopkins spotted her, “Hey!” he said with his arms spread open, “Where’s my hug?”

“Hi Ryan” she smiled as she stood up and gave him a hug, “I haven’t seen you for a while, how are you?” she said politely as they sat back down on the couch.

“I’m doing well, where’s Jordan?” he said as his girlfriend joined them on the couch.

“Jonesy dragged him off somewhere.”

“C’mon, have some fun!” he and his girlfriend jumped up and pulled her towards the dance floor. Reina didn’t even know Ryan’s girlfriend’s name and she felt it was rude to ask. She figured that she might as well seize the moment and have some fun.

As she swayed her hips to the music, she felt someone’s hands on her hips and pull her towards his body. Startled by the unfamiliar touch, she turned and was face-to-face with Curtis Hamilton. “You’re really pretty,” he said before Reina pushed him away. She sensed that he was coming onto her and didn’t like the way he was looking at her like she was just an object. “Come on, don’t fight it,” he grabbed her wrist.

“Hammy, back off from my girl,” Jordan said seriously as he put a hand on Curtis’ shoulder.

“Oh, sorry man, didn’t realize she was with you.” He said as he slipped through the crowded dance floor.

Jordan placed his hand on her hips like Curtis had but his touch felt more comforting and didn’t feel so aggressive. She allowed herself to sink into Jordan’s body as they swayed to the slowed tempo of the music. “Are you okay? You’re shaking.” Jordan noticed Reina’s hands shaking.

“Yeah, I’m fine. He just caught me by surprise,” she said gently under the music. “Hammy’s a good guy-” “I’m sure he is, he just scared me, I guess.” She cut him off.

“It’s okay,” he tightened his hug on her with the hopes that it would stop her from shaking.

“May I have this dance?” Taylor Fedun tapped Jordan on the shoulder, asking for a dance from Reina. Rei and Taylor had grown close over the years as she spoke to him about his recovery from his injury for her thesis.

“I’m so glad you’re here,” Reina said as Jordan and Taylor traded dance partners.

“And why’s that?” Taylor smiled.

“I don’t know many people here well aside from you, Jordan, Nuge, and Hallsy.” She said over the music.

“We’re the only ones who matter,” he joked. “But I have business to discuss with you.”

“Yessir.” She smiled. “Y’know, my girlfriend plays field hockey for Team USA, right?” he asked, “She talked to a few members of Team Canada about you and they said they’d love to give you a trial with Team Canada.” He smiled.

“No way!” she said over the music. “You think I would make this up? It’s your chance, Reina!” he hugged her.

“Hey Feds, why are you hugging my girlfriend?” Jordan came up to them with a smile. “Julia got me a trial with Team Canada’s Field Hockey Team!” Reina jumped into Jordan’s arms. “I know,” he laughed, “I asked him to see if he can put in a word for you. It’s not hockey but it’s close.” He engulfed her in his arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Looks like Reina's getting towards her goal, huh?
Rei's headed to a hockey game in the next one so we'll find out what happens.

On a side note, I'm writing a Tom Daley fic that relates to hockey so if y'all want to read it, let me know!