Status: In Progress

A Match into Water

Chapter 7

Reina loved hockey through and through but it changed whenever Jordan stepped on the ice. “Rei, you really need to calm down.” Evan said to her. “Shh Evan, Jordan’s on the ice.”

She always got nervous whenever Jordan played, she knew Jordan had the speed and ability to stay out of trouble but there was always that possibility and Reina feared the worst. Uncharacteristically, Jordan laid a hit on someone which sent the crowd and Reina to her feet. “Yes! That’s my boyfriend!” she yelled.

While going to the concourse to get something to drink, Reina ran into Tyler Pitlick’s girlfriend and his daughter and chatted. She invited Reina and Evan to join them in their press box to which Reina agreed to, wanting to make more friends in Edmonton before moving up after convocation. The little girl wanted every bit of Reina’s attention so she gave it to her – with the Oilers up 3 with 10 minutes left in the period, she didn’t feel it was necessary.

As if it was amplified, a loud crush echoed through the arena, drawing everyone’s attention towards the corner of the defensive zone. Reina scanned the ice and noticed a clump of blue against the white and quickly turned her attention towards the bench, hoping to see Jordan on the bench. “No,” she whispered when she couldn’t see number 14. As a small hand snaked her way into Reina’s, she waited as she waited for the player to move but he never did.

The trainers from both teams rushed to the player. Before she could see who the player was, a staff member greeted the press box, “Reina, we’ll take you down to meet Jordan.”

“What?” she said with confusion. “Rei, that’s Jordan.” Evan said as he put a hand on her shoulder. Reina swallowed hard as a quiet voice said, “Auntie-Rei, are you okay?” to which Reina replied, “I’ll be fine, baby. I’ll see you later, take care of your mommy.” Before giving her a hug and leaving with the staff member.

Crawling through the mess up people standing on the concourse, watching the TVs as the trainers attended to Jordan, Reina forgot all sense of courtesy or manners, simply wanting to get to Jordan. People gave her weird stares as she pushed her way through the crowds but eventually, she made her way to the Zamboni entrance where the ambulance was parked, just in time to meet Jordan and the paramedics.

The sight of Jordan unconscious and motionless on the stretcher scared her half to death and her knees became weak. “You’re the girlfriend, right?” said one of the paramedics as Reina nodded in response.

The ambulance ride was a blur as Reina gripped Jordan’s hand tightly while the paramedics stripped off Jordan’s equipment to make sure they could keep him stable. “Everything’s going to be fine.” The female paramedic kept repeating, she simply couldn’t believe her until Jordan’s limp hand gripped hers like she had been gripping his.

She wasn't hoping for the best, nor did she expect the worst. She just hoped that Jordan would be able to stay positive through his recovery and not to mention, make a complete recovery.
________________________________________________________________________________

Reina was in Edmonton, seeing Jordan who was still sidelined while recovering from the concussion but also supporting the boys as they made a playoff push. This morning, Jordan had a doctor’s appointment to check up on his recovery progress which always stressed him out. All he wanted was to play hockey again.

“Jordan.” She quietly woke him up, “Babe, you need to get up.” She said as he squinted at the sun shining through the window. She quickly ran across the room and closed the curtains, knowing about his light sensitivity. When she turned around, she noticed he had gone to the washroom already. Usually, he’d be lying in bed, waiting for her to join him before getting up. She noticed that since his injury, he’s been down about himself and unlike his usual cheery, lighthearted self – she missed it.

Going back downstairs, she plated a healthy breakfast for Jordan with a cup of tea – coffee seemed to make his head ache. As she waited for Jordan to come downstairs, she gathered her things and slipped the car keys into her purse before pouring herself a travel mug of tea. “You really don’t need to come today.” He grunted as he entered the kitchen. “I don’t like you driving like this.” She said, concerned. “Like what?” he said angrily. “Like this.” She proved her point, “Now sit for some breakfast.” She pulled him towards the table.

He refused, “I’m not hungry, Rei.” He stopped in his tracks. “Jordan, you need to eat something.” She said. “Reina, I’m serious, I don’t want to eat!” he raised his voice and pulled his hand out of hers aggressively.

“Okay,” she shied away, “Let’s go then.” She grabbed her purse and walked out towards the car. They drove to the doctor’s office in silence as Jordan was still sensitive to music. She caught glances of him at stoplights, his head in his hand, leaning against the window – it broke her heart seeing him like this.

The appointment ended like the others but slight better than the others. Jordan still didn’t like the results – he could skate but no contact. “At least you can skate.” Reina offered. “Yeah, whatever,” he grunted.

Reina had built up this appointment so much. She knew that Jordan would be cleared to skate and she thought he’d be happy with that but more than anything Jordan wanted to see playoff action – something he’d been craving for so long. He lived for the high intensity games with big stakes and he took it personally whenever the team lost a game in the series.

“Jordan,” Reina whispered as she approached him with a hug. Jordan wrapped his arm around Reina as he accepted his girlfriend’s sympathy. He didn’t need Reina being another doctor, reminding him of his concussion. He just needed someone to help him get away from all the bad – the not being able to watch TV, use the computer, or read a book.

They remained there for a few minutes before Jordan pulled away, “I’m sorry if I scared or hurt you.” He caressed her hand gently, “I’m just-“ he paused to find the right word. “Frustrated?” she offered to which he nodded with agreement. “I just hate living like this, I feel so useless.” He voiced his frustration. “I know,” she put her hand on the back of his neck and gently stroked the area beneath his ear, calming him down, “And you’re not useless. Don’t ever think that.”

“Things will get better.” They said in unison – Reina in a comforting tone while Jordan mocked what everyone had been saying to him. “They will, trust me.” She confirmed it.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was a short one. Sorry it's been so long! School's been insane (as usual). And yes, I wrote it so that the Oilers made the playoffs... You never know~ hahaha But hopefully, I don't end up predicting a future injury =S -knocks on wood-

Anyway, let me know what you think and thanks for reading!