Status: In Progress

A Match into Water

Chapter 8

“Reina, you need to come back, you can’t miss another week of school,” Evan said through the phone. Earlier in the week, Jordan had snapped at Evan and half-scared him back to Calgary, much to Reina’s disdain.

“I will, I haven’t missed anything important. Jordan needs me and I can’t just abandon him…” Reina trailed off. “Rei, he’ll be fine, more people need you here.” Evan tried to reason with her.

She couldn’t bare leaving Jordan but also felt horrible for abandoning her position in clubs and on student council. For much of their relationship, those closest to Reina criticized her for being almost too willing to drop everything for Jordan. When Reina hung up, she noticed Jordan standing in the doorway, “Rei, I’m fine,” he said, “Just go back and finish school.” He said with sincerity.

“I’ll still worry.” She stood up and walked towards him. “I’ll stay with Taylor and his parents,” he assured her as he placed a hand on her hip and the other on her cheek. “Just promise you’ll listen to the doctors and don’t push yourself too hard.” She placed her hands on his shoulders.

She was always worried. Jordan always pushed himself to do his best regardless of what he did and though that ability was beneficial to his game and any other life application, it didn’t help his recovery when he was injured.

Leaving Jordan the next day was the worst feeling ever. Ten times worse than all the other times because she never had a worry aside from whether he would eat anything aside from macaroni and cheese. The moment she pulled her CR-V from the icy driveway, her car’s handsfree system rang and Jordan’s voice told her, “don’t worry.”

It was a long drive back down to Calgary. Especially after a call from her mom, asking her to visit home. Reina moved out 4 years ago, before starting university. It was an escape because though she loved her mother to death she couldn’t stand being in the presence of her father. Bearing through years of emotional and verbal abuse, she got away as soon as she could.

When she pulled into the driveway of her parents’ house and her own childhood house, her nerves escalated exponentially as she quickly dialled Jordan’s number to try and calm herself down. “Hey,” he said which instantly brought her nerves down a few notches. “I’m back in Calgary at my parents’ house.” She informed him.

Jordan was fully aware of Reina’s feelings towards going home and being around her father. “It’s my turn to worry about you.” He said sternly. He always felt a certain disdain towards Mr. Henderson due to the emotional trauma he’s inflicted on Reina. He refused to acknowledge him as her father because he didn’t deserve to be associated with such a wonderful, brilliant, and beautiful woman. “I’m worried too, babe.” Reina agreed as she stepped out of the car. “Call me when you get home then,” Jordan said to her before hanging up.

Using her copy of the house key, she unlocked the door. As she stepped in the door and took off her shoes, memories both good and bad came back to her. This very door, the one she was forced out of numerous times; the dining table where her family only ever had one peaceful dinner that didn’t end in an argument; and here comes her then-puppy, Mickey, coming to greet her. Now, a big, fully grown, German shepherd, Mickey bounded with excitement as Reina hugged him as he licked her with affection.

“Reina, you’re home?” said a voice from upstairs. And from the top of the staircase, appeared her thin mother. Jordan always believed that that’s where Reina got her beauty from – her mother who had the epitomizing image of a Japanese woman. “Kaa-san,” Reina said affectionately as she raced up the stairs to hug her mother.

She felt guilty for never coming home to see her mother as she felt she didn’t deserve it. Her older siblings, like her, had all moved out as soon as they could due to similar experiences with their father, but still leaving 17 year old Erika at home. “Is he home?” Reina said as her elation dropped. “No, your father’s not home,” she paused, “he’s out getting groceries, he’s really happy you agreed to come home, you know?” she smiled sweetly, hoping Reina believed her.

“I’m sure he is, mum. But you know how I feel about being at home. I just can’t stand it.” Reina expressed to her mother as a door down the hall opened. “REI!” Erika jumped out and tackled her older sister. “Eri!” she wrapped her arms around her baby sister, “How are you?”

“A lot better, now that you’re home.” Erika gushed, “I have so much to tell you, why don’t you ever call home? God, it’s like you live in the middle of nowhere or something.” Erika spoke quickly. Reina loved this about Erika, she never stopped talking but she could tell how she’s missed her siblings being around so much. Being the baby of the family, she was always used to having them around.

Although Reina was happy, that quickly dissipated as she heard the front door open. “Hey dad,” she said weakly, forcing a smile. “Reina! I’m glad you’re home.” He said. She still found that hard to believe. “Erika, help me with the bags, would you?” he said as Erika raced down the stairs and took the bags into the kitchen, “I’m making your favourites tonight.” He said as Reina and her mother walked down the stairs to greet him. She awkwardly hugged him as she waited for a snarky remark about either her career or Jordan to come up but strangely, none came up but she didn’t get her hopes up.

As their parents prepared dinner, Reina caught up with Erika. “Mom’s been trying to take dad on a vacation. She thinks he’s working too hard and he’s taking his stress out on me.” She said sadly. “He’s always done that. He doesn’t know when to stop and no one can tell him he’s wrong.” Reina explained to her, “Has Karina visited yet? Or Ryo?” Reina asked about her older brother and sister as Erika shook her head. “Mom asked them to come tonight, but they both refused.” Erika said stoically.

Reina could understand why they refused to come home. They both had children of their own and vowed to keep their children away from the drama they experienced as kids as much as possible. As they chatted, Jordan called Reina. “Hey, how’s it going?” Jordan said with concern. “It’s going well for the time being. I shouldn’t, but I expect the bomb to drop sooner or later. I’m just catching up with Erika right now.”

“Try to stay positive. Maybe it’ll turn out well in the end.” He comforted her, “I’m going to head over to Jonesy’s house. I’ll talk to you later but tell Erika I said hi.” He said before he hung up. Reina passed on the message to Erika as she pulled her knees into her chest, she didn’t realize how much she missed Jordan until now.
♠ ♠ ♠
(insert apology)

I hope you all don't mind the lack of Jordan's presence in this chapter but my main character is Reina so I wanted to centre this one more about her and her past and how it's all connected.

Once again, thanks for reading! =)