깡패

The Ginza Tiger

As it turns out that cop's life wasn't very important. If the sheriff who supposedly sent him had heard about his death, he wasn't outraged enough to seek revenge. There was also a possibility that he completely understood the threat the Tosei-kai presented to his little system, though that possibility was small. Cops were always arrogant assholes. We hadn't found so much as a mic on the guy's body. It seemed almost like an insult- to send a little pest like that with no purpose. Was the sheriff trying to test my patience by wasting my time?

I was not easily manipulated by anyone. I'd cut all ties with family upon moving to Japan, and I'd had no serious relationships since then. No one was going to manipulate me, especially not when I was at my most powerful. There was no one with which to make me weak. I'd learned patience, self-control, and balance throughout my life. I'd mastered it early on. Anger, fear, frustration, annoyance, bitterness... they were all just emotions. I could numb myself to them, and that was what brought me up to this point.

But what was the sheriff trying to tell me?

I folded my hands over my stomach, looking out at the Tokyo skyline under the red sunset. Thinking of possibilities passed was merely a distraction, but I couldn't help thinking of what life might have done with me had I stayed in Korea. I would likely have remained a small-time mobster, not the leader I was now. I would be serving others instead of being served. Would I have been content that way? I could hardly imagine living like that now, not with the lavish, comfortable lifestyle I had and all of the things I'd been able to do and see. I was living a grand life, full of opportunities and excitement. Some would say this life was their dream.

Pushing myself up from the chair, I scanned the ground below. There were no homeless people here, like there were in other parts of the city. The street and sewer rats could talk, given the opportunity and a reason to do so. Though most were insane, I would take no chances with them. I briefly imagined that one day, I would wake up and see the streets clogged with police cars, but I knew it would never happen. The police needed my help more than I needed to appease them. They wouldn't confront me while knowing that without me, they would fall apart. I turned away from the window.

Just as I did, the door to my office opened and a little boy stepped in, bowing deeply. "Sir."

"Do you have the information, Wei?" I asked, gesturing for him to stand up straight. When he did, his fiery young eyes met mine and I found myself wanting to grin. This kid was something else.

"Kodama will be released later this week. Probably on Thursday," he answered tonelessly. His wiry young arms flexed. "An anonymous person is paying bail."

It would no doubt be Kodama's brother, Shin. "And what of Taoka?"

"He has agreed to meet with you, but didn't tell me anything else." Wei bowed again, his small face alight with youthful excitement. "Can I do anything else, sir?"

"Stay here for a bit. I've some things to talk about." I waved the boy forward and dismissed the others standing around the room. As always, they left without comment but I knew they were curious exactly what I was doing with this little immigrant boy. No doubt some thought I was a pervert. When we were alone in the room, I put my hand on the boy's shoulder. "Held a gun before, Wei?" He shook his head, but the light in his eyes told me he was receptive to anything I would teach him. "Do you want to?"

He nodded vigorously. I removed the magazine from the handgun I kept in my desk and handed it to him. He held it awkwardly in his hands, the weight obviously alien to him. I steadied his arms and repositioned his legs so that he was standing in proper form. He looked up at me. "Can I shoot?"

"There are no bullets in it," I told him.

"I still want to shoot it," he said, not looking even a little disappointed. I nodded to him. With determination and eagerness in his eyes, he pulled the trigger several times and the gun clicked with each bulletless shot. His eyes were suddenly lit up with excitement. He lowered the gun at last, admiring the barrel and the sleekness of the handle.

"Why do you teach me?" he asked bravely. He looked up at me in a way both naive and knowing. "Is it because I'm like you?"

And the boy was so like me. He was young and involved in all the things that good, innocent people shouldn't be involved with. A boy in a man's world. He was a Chinese boy living in Japan, an outcast in a place that both feared and abhorred foreigners. He had no familial ties. He was focused and determined on the path set before him. Wei Chen was going to be great someday.

"Don't worry about the reason, Wei," I said, gifting him with a rare grin. "You're my kid, as far as I'm concerned. Do your best and you'll see the top someday."

He smiled then, and I realized just how young he was- he was still just a boy- and the admiration I had for him grew tenfold. Wei Chen was as strong as a full grown, well-seasoned man when it came to the bloody work that sat before him and around him. He couldn't kill like the others yet, but he didn't flinch watching it and occasionally playing his part.

"When will we get to do something fun again?" he asked, pretending to aim the gun at an invisible enemy. "I want to do something exciting..."

"We aren't going anywhere for a while yet. I still have to feel out this situation with the sheriff. I'd rather not lose any more men to them, and if we can wait until Kodama is released, he'll have no option but to join with us."

"You aren't worried that he'll betray us?" Wei asked, already sounding like one of us.

"No," I answered, patting his head a little. "I know there's a man left in there, despite being a mob boss and drug lord. He never delves into his own supply. The smart ones always know it messes with their heads."

"So you don't delve into your own supply, do you?" he asked, giggling like the little child he was. I smiled fondly. The only one in this world that I was truly fond of.

"I don't."