Status: [updated 12/07/14]

The Brat Pack

Parents Are In Europe

Wednesday morning, March 28, 1984. Shermer High School, Shermer, Illinois.

7:03 AM. Andrew Clark shuffles into Homeroom behind a group of other students, taking a seat on the far right, about halfway down the row. He stares out the window, watching the still-rising sun. His legs burn from his morning run.

7:05 AM. The late bell rings.

7:07 AM. Mrs. Knocker takes attendance.

7:09 AM. Mrs. Knocker goes back behind her computer. Everyone is left to their own free will now. Andy hates Homeroom. There's never anything to do.

7:10 AM. A group of kids noisily jam their desks together and start a game of cards. Everyone starts to talk louder now. Andy huffs and goes back to staring out the window.

7:12 AM. The class is hushed by Mrs. Knocker as the morning announcements start on the intercom. The secretary keeps coughing every few minutes. Vernon can be heard faintly shouting in the back. Asshole.

7:15 AM. The noise level is back to where it was before the announcements. Andy puts his chin in his palm and drums his fingers against the desk.

7:18 AM. As a last resort, Andy fishes his French homework from his bag and slaps it on the desk in front of him. He cracks his fingers and stares down at it.

7:19 AM. What the hell does any of this say anyway? It's not like he plans on going to France or anything.

7:21 AM. Andy dozes off at his desk.

7:25 AM. A hand slaps Andy's shoulder. He jumps in his seat and looks around. It's Stubbie Brown.

Stubbie laughs and points at Andy. Wide-eyed, Andy realizes there's drool pooling down his chin. He uses his sleeve to wipe it away, turning away from Stubbie.

7:26 AM. "Relax man," Stubbie laughs as Andy turns back to him. "What's up man? You alright?"

"Yeah, just tired I guess," Andy mumbles, realizing there's a wet stain on his French homework. Awesome.

"Hey, listen, I got something that'll liven you up," Stubbie says with a wink. Andy raises his eyebrows. "My parents are stuck in Europe."

Andy rubs his hands over his face, pulling away and blinking at Stubbie. He frowns. "Still? Hasn't it been like, a week?"

7:27 AM. "Yeah, isn't it great? There's some giant storms going on over there, their flights keep getting canceled."

"So why is this good news exactly?"

Stubbie raises his eyebrows. "Seriously? You have to ask?"

They both crack wide grins at each other.

"Party at my house Saturday night. Eight o'clock."

7:28 AM. "I'll be there."

"Alright!"

They both crack grins again as Stubbie gets up and crosses the room to the kids playing cards. He leans over one of their shoulders and starts laughing with the guy.

7:29 AM. Three rows back, Curtis Malfis grins.

7:30 AM. The bell rings. End of Homeroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, seriously? Last night I went to bed with 23 recs and 30 subscribers to this story. Here it is a bit past eleven o'clock Wednesday night, and I'm at 34 recs and 59 subscribers. You all are amazing, and I love you all so much!

I'm sorry for the long wait for the update. I got assigned a research paper, plus I have an AP test next week. I'm hoping to update in the next few days though, so keep your eyes peeled! <3