Status: [updated 12/07/14]

The Brat Pack

Shut Up!

Throughout the course of his life, Andy has been grateful for quite a few things, like his athletic ability, his grades - okay, maybe not that, but at least he hasn't flunked a class in the past two years - and more recently, Ally. But today? Today, Andy is grateful that his parents are such heavy sleepers. And as Andy toes off his sneakers and, as quietly as possible, unlocks the front door and slips inside, he prays that this is still true.

Andy holds his breath as he closes the front door, standing motionless as he listens for any sign of movement in the house. When he hears nothing, he lets out his breath and takes another quiet one as he starts up the steps, taking two at a time and pausing at the top. He glances down the hall towards his parents' door, staring at it for a few seconds before he quickly dashes across the hall to his room.

Gently, Andy shuts his door and sets down his sneakers, glancing at his alarm clock. He sighs in relief when he sees he still has two hours to sleep, dropping down on the bed and curling up on top of the covers.
Image

Forty-five minutes later and Andy wakes up in a sweat, looking around his lightening room. He sighs and drops his head back down, tired but too tired to actually fall back asleep. His thoughts wander to Ally, wondering if her dad caught her and praying that he didn't. Then to Bender, wondering if his father beat him and praying that that doesn't happen either; then he wonders if Bender even went home at all. He thinks of Brian and then Claire, and finally of himself. He already sees the angry rage his father will be in, how he'll repeat that Andy could lose his free ride to college. Andy huffs and sits up, leaning towards his clock and shutting off the alarm so it can't go off in an hour. He goes to his closet and picks out an outfit, throwing the clothes over his shoulder before he grabs up his shampoo and body wash and heads for the bathroom.
Image

Andy locks the bathroom door and hangs his clothes up on the rack, turning on the shower. He takes off his shirt and studies himself in the mirror while he waits for the water to get warm, huffing at himself before shoving his jeans and boxers off and stepping in. Andy washes himself off but decides to stay under the hot spray for a few minutes longer than usual, trying to prepare himself to take on the day. When he decides his mental pep talk isn't working, Andy shuts off the water and settles on doing the opposite instead: not thinking.

Andy dries himself off and dresses quickly, going into his bedroom and fishing a notebook out of his backpack. He flips through it and rips out the first blank page he can find, grabbing up a marker and scribbling a note that he's going for a morning run. He sets the note on his bed and takes his watch, strapping it on his wrist before picking up his sneakers. He opens his bedroom door slowly and glances down the hall at his parents' room again. He listens and, when he senses no movement, heads for the steps, going down as quickly and as quietly as possible.

When he makes it downstairs, Andy holds onto the railing as he slides one sneaker on, glancing at the top of the steps and listening for his parents. A voice behind him startles him, making him turn and fall onto the stairs all at the same time.

"Going somewhere?" Andy's father growls, grabbing him roughly by the arm and leading him into the kitchen.

Andy stumbles along behind him, wanting to say something but his mind draws a blank. He yells out when his father shoves him suddenly into one of the wooden chairs, snatching up the sneaker Andy had yet to put on and flinging it against the wall. It bounces off the wood with a thud and Andy cringes, staring at his father in shock. Mr. Clark breathes hard as he stares down at his son, fists and teeth clenched. Andy blinks and looks down at his lap, taking a deep breath. He had spent time thinking about his father but gave no thought as to what he would say to him; now Andy wishes he had.

"Andrew Robert Clark, look. at. me," Mr. Clark hisses. Andy swallows and looks up, yelling out again when his father smacks him across the face. Andy hates this; he's pissed and wants to fight back, but deep down inside he wants to hide away and cry. Except that he's a man, and men don't hide. And they sure as hell don't cry.

But when Andy looks up at his father again, his vision is blurry with tears as he clutches the arms of the chair, shaking.

"I'm going to give you one chance," his father says in a low, deadly voice, "to tell me where the hell you were yesterday."

"Gone," Andy snaps and his father growls again.

"Gone?!"

"Yeah, gone," Andy says, starting to stand but his father shoves him right back down.

"Were you with that girl, Andrew? Huh?" his father asks.

Andy looks away and swallows but his father takes a step closer.

"Answer me!" he demands and Andy grits his teeth, looking at him.

"You don't know anything," Andy says quietly and his father gives an unbelieving laugh.

"No? I know you're throwing away everything we've worked so hard for on some..." his father struggles for the right words, "...hobo freak!"

Andy darts up and gets in his father's face. "Don't you call her that! You don't know her, you don't know anything!" Andy screams, flinching when his father raises his hand again.

"Don't you dare speak to me like that in my own home, Andrew! See, Stubbie came by yesterday." Andy curses under his breath. "Yeah, and he told me all about your little girlfriend. About breaking into her locker, about embarrassing yourself in front of everyone. I just don't understand why, Andrew. But now I don't have to. Because until future notice, you're grounded. And from here on out, you are banned from seeing this girl."

"What?!" Andy cries in disbelief. "Dad, no! You don't understand! You don't know anything!"

"So help me God, Andrew, if you see her." His father swallows. "Go to your room. Now. And don't come out until it's time for school. And when you do, bring me your car keys."

Andy lets out a frustrated yell and storms past his father, tears streaming down his face by the time he makes it to the stairs.