Status: New updates will be coming pretty quickly right now, but should slow down shortly.

Book One: Spirits

The Incredible Pong

A quiet, restful night was spent in the luxury car for all members of the group but one: Karizibi. She elected stayed awake the entire night, not trusting the two men she held captive.

“So,” Rikkako had been awake for a few minutes now, watching Kari stare down the prisoners. The tension was getting to her. “I figure we need to talk about it eventually. What’s up with these?” She produced the box and necklace emblazoned with the ornate Earth Nation symbol.

“I have no clue.” Kari responded honestly.

“Well, it sure seemed to freak you out the other day.” Rika countered. With a sigh, the firebender decided to explain what she could.

“I’ve been having dreams about...” she cast a glance at the the the bound men. “About the woman following me. The symbol on the box and necklace appeared in it along with some rather...Unpleasant images.”

“And you let me open it?!” Rika tossed the items to the floor as though they had burned her.

“What should we do with it?” Kari asked, picking up the box and inspecting it further.

“If it has to do with...Her...I want nothing to do with it! It will probably get us killed!” Rika’s mind seemed made.

“I don’t know that.” Kari tried to reason with her. “For all I know, the dream could have been a warning about being attacked. We don’t even know what she wants with me.” Rika looked at her skeptically. “...Or it could be cursed.”

“I think we should keep it.” Their conversation had apparently roused Pong. He yawned and stretched. “I don’t think Huwei would show us something she cursed.”
“Well...Then...You keep it!” Rika sputtered. Pong shrugged, taking the box from Kari and placing it in his own backpack. It was then he caught a glance of the two prisoners at the front of the car.

“WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?” He shrieked, curling up onto his seat. He had, apparently, failed to take notice that there were captives in the car. Kari gave a sigh that betrayed her exhaustion.

“I’m going to bed.”

“Well, what are we doing with them?” Pong moved closer, whispering.

“We’re taking them to jail.” Kari didn’t lower her voice. “I’d prefer to not worry about being kidnapped or murdered while out in public, thanks.”

“And what are we doing about Shu?” Pong dropped his voice, but it was clear that Shu, now awake, could hear his every word. Kari seemed confused by his question.

“What do you mean?”

“Well...She killed a person.”

“And it was in self-defense.” Kari shrugged. She hadn’t actually seen the attack. “Why should we do anything about it?”

“He was already knocked out!” Pong whispered frantically. “She killed him in cold blood!”

“I did what I had to do.” Shu sat up and sent a particularly nasty glare in the direction of Pong.

“Yes, of course...” He mumbled, turning white as a sheet. “That’s...That’s fine...No need to do anything...” Satisfied the argument was over, Kari made herself comfortable in her seat, closing her eyes.

“Keep an eye on the prisoners and wake me up for lunch.” She ordered no one in particular before finally able to drift off to sleep.

The car ride to their next destination was absolutely silent. With Kari asleep, everyone was too afraid of Shu to say anything. At lunch, they woke Kari who immediately checked the prisoners bonds. Although Naoto didn’t appear to be struggling, Keng’s wrists were raw from his attempts to break free. While in close proximity, she heard one of their stomachs growl. Taking pity, she retrieved a plate of gourmet food provided for the luxury car and, after removing their gags, hand fed them.

“I’m not cruel.” she spoke, not really expecting a response. “And at least when I tie people up, I don’t lecture them.” she gave a pointed stare to Naoto. “Anyway, while I have you here...” She took the box from Pong’s bag. “Is this what you were looking for?” Neither seemed keen on replying, but Naoto finally spoke up:

“Well, it’s what we stopped the caravan for...” Kari nodded, receiving all the information she needed - they had planted the box on Rikkako so that they had reason to search the caravan.

“One more thing: why do you think I’m a spy?”

“You tell me.” Naoto refused to make eye contact. With a shrug, she put their gags back in, checked their bonds one last time, and went back to sleep until their first stop within the Earth Kingdom: Qui-Shan.

Waiting for them at the caravan were a group of men dressed in military apparel and an armoured carriage. They took the bound men from the caravan, including the two prisoners in the luxury car. Seeing Kari, one of the men approached her, hand extended.

“I understand you are one of the people who apprehended these men?” They shook hands.

“I am.” Kari confirmed. “My name is Karizibi Shinu. I’d appreciate it if you could send word of any updates regarding these men to me.”

“Sure,” the man seemed hesitant to agree. “But is there any reason why?”

“They believe I’m a spy for one reason or another.” She elaborated. “Should they break free, or should anything else happen to them, there’s a very real chance I will wind up dead.” The man nodded in affirmation. “And, one more thing,” Kari produced the mysterious earth nation box. “This belonged to one of them. Does it look familiar to you?”

“Not at all.” the man confessed. “It’s yours to keep, unless you believe it’s important to us in some way.”

“I guess I’ll just hang onto it, then.” Kari shrugged. With nothing else to say, she thanked the man for coming to retrieve the prisoners, shook his hand again, and returned to her group which had convened behind the caravan.

Pong was jumping up and down, clearly excited about something. It took a few more steps, but Karizibi was finally able to see the sign that had him worked up.

“The Incredible Pong!” the banner read. “Taking challenges this night in the bending arena! 5 yuans per challenger!”

“I’m going!” Pong was already dragging Rikkako off. “I’m gonna fight him and I’m gonna win!” Kari chuckled.

“We’ll catch up with you guys,” she pulled Shu to the side while Pong dragged Rika to the first person on the street he could approach.

“Do you know where the arena is?” he asked. “I’m gonna challenge Pong!” the woman chuckled.

“You’re not from around here, are you?” she asked.

“What,” Rika snorted. “The water tribe getup didn’t give it away?” Disregarding her statement, the young woman gave them directions to the arena.

“Thanks!” Pong hadn’t been able to wipe the grin off his face from when he first saw the advertisement. “What’s your name?”

“I’m Miki.” she smiled. “What’s yours?”

“Pong!”

“Interesting...” she began to examine the boy a little closer. “That’s the name of our town hero. He’s the one taking challenges at the arena.”

“What are they like?” he asked, excited at the chance to get any more information about the event.

“You just have to show up. It’s a bending duel. The first person to knock the other off the stage wins.”

“Great! Thanks! Gotta go!” the young earthbender began dragging Rikkako off again. “It’s going to be just like earth rumble!” he chattered away, excitedly. “I mean, bending tournaments are great and all, but THIS! This is going to be the BEST. DAY. EVER!”

“Who knows,” Rika smirked. “Maybe your father will even be there...” Pong’s eyes lit up.

“You think? I don’t know...What am I doing?” He quickly removed a tired looking hamster from his pocket. “Take Yubi! I need to prepare!” He immediately began stretching.

“But...” Rika tilted her head to the side. “You do realize you have two hours before-”

“SHHH!” Pong waved his hands in her face before beginning to do more stretches.

“So,” Kari pulled Shu back into the empty luxury car where they could both sit. “I told you that we’re on a quest for the Avatar, but I guess I never really explained the details.” She let out a sigh. “I think you should know a few things if we’re going to continue to travel together.”

Kari started at the very beginning, explaining every detail of her experience with the two spirits and her father’s death, ending with the recent events involving Huwei and the dreams.

“I don’t think we’re in any immediate danger.” She admitted. “But if you’re traveling with us, I believe you have a right to know what’s really going on.” Shu sat and absorbed this information for a moment.

“Well, while we’re being honest.” She mumbled. “I’m not just a dancer. It’s what I told both you and my parents but...” She seemed to be fighting with her words before deciding on a blunt answer. “I kill people.”

“Just...Random people?” Kari didn’t understand where this was going.

“I’m not some sort of psycho killer or any of that shit.” Shu rolled her eyes. “My master and I cleaned up the streets of Ba Sing Se. We killed only people who really deserved it. Well...Until he was murdered.” It was Kari’s turn to sit in silence for a while.

“Is this something we need to take care of?” Kari asked. “Do you want us to find his killer?”

“I think I have it handled.” Shu’s face turned dark.

“Do you at least have a picture or anything to go by in case we find him?” Shu began to dig in her bag before removing a sketch.

“All I have is this.” she handed her a picture of a sword hilt with an eagle on it. Kari studied it for a few moments before handing it back.

“I take it your parents don’t know?” Shu shook her head. “Are you planning on telling the rest of the group?”

“Maybe one day.” Shu fidgeted. “But after the way they handled watching me kill that guy in the attack, do you really think they could handle information like this?” Kari let out a humorless chuckle.

“True.” She frowned. “Although, I have to admit, I don’t think I’m too comfortable with you killing people either. The other day, when you came out of the woods, I saw Huwei going after the body. It’s the only other time I saw her in her demon form, and she didn’t seem happy with us.“ Shu shrugged this off. “Just...If you’re going to kill someone, try to make sure you’re not near me. I’ve done enough to attract her attention.” Kari grimaced. “Speaking of the other day...When you came out of the woods, I saw you were crying. You say you’ve been killing people for a while, so what was it that upset you?”

“It was nothing.” she waved the firebender off. “It just reminded me of the night my master died.” Kari nodded before standing.

“Maybe we should catch up with the others?”

The girls were able to find a person to give them directions fairly quickly, but before they were able to make it to their destination, a child stepped in to their path. He looked to be about twelve.

“Did you come in on the caravan?” he asked excitedly.

“Yes.” Kari raised a brow. The three fell into an awkward silence as the boy simply stood, staring up at her. “Did you have a reason for asking?”

“No! No reason!” At that, the child turned and ran off. Kari let out a deep sigh.

“Well, by judge of how the past few days have gone,” she told Shu. “I suppose this means we’re going to be beat up by a gang of small children within the next 24 hours.”

“He’s totally going after his homies.” Shu agreed.

Once reunited with the two others in the group, they were all dragged by Pong to the very front row. The arena was made from stone. Recessed several levels down was a stage, roughly five feet in height, containing earth. Surrounding it were stone pillars, some standing alone, others forming arches.

“Don’t you think we’re a little close?” Rikkako asked as politely as she could.

“Close enough to get blood on us!” Shu and Kari high-fived. “This is gonna be awesome!” It wasn’t long before a man hopped onto the stage, a bullhorn in hand.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” he announced. “Once again, Pong will be accepting challenges tonight in a bending duel to take home the grand prize of 1000 yuans! Without further ado, our hero, Pong!” The group could feel the earth rumbling beneath their feet. Slowly, a column of earth began to raise itself from the center of the floor. As a man stepped out, the earth dramatically fell behind him, perfectly filling the hole it created. As the four began to look at the Pong on stage, they began taking glances at their own Pong.

“You guys,” Karizibi spoke up. “You don’t think...”

“You don’t know who your father is...Right?” Rikkako asked the young earth bender, but the earthbender on stage began talking before he could respond.

“So,” He barked lazily falling back into a throne that raised itself from the earth. “Will anyone actually challenge me today?” Pong stood, throwing his arms in the air. It appeared that he was attempting some form of bending, but had failed miserably. The group hid their faces in shame. It was clear this was going to be an interesting fight. Pong took a breath before stepping onto the seat behind him.

“I will!” He shouted with confidence.

“Then come forward!” The Pong on stage stood, reducing the throne to a pile of rubble.

“Yeah, kick your dad’s ass!” Shu cheered him on. The younger Pong tossed his fee at the announcer before hopping onto the stage.

The moment the young Pong stepped forward, the older bender tumbled backward. The younger earthbender raised some earth, attempting to hurl it at his opponent, but all were easily dodged. Clearly embarrassed, Pong yelled back to his friends,

“I just need to get into my element!”

“You’re surrounded by it!” Shu shot back. He was unable to respond as the older Pong erected a column of earth from the ground to stand upon, also throwing a boulder at his challenger. The young Pong was unable to dodge this and was hit straight on. However, at that moment, Kari leaned across Rikkako to speak to Shu.

“Did you see that?” she asked.

“See what?” both the water and earthbender asked.

“There was a hole that just opened and closed in the earth wall behind the stage.” The Pong on the column lifted another very large rock.

“You can stop at any time.” he mocked his young challenger.

“No!” Shu yelled. “You stay and get your ass kicked!”

“Damn right!” the young Pong yelled in agreement. Rikkako gasped in response.

“Pong!” She scolded, but her friend wasn’t paying her any attention as he attempted to hurl more earth at his opponent. His earth blasts were so terribly aimed this time that the older Pong didn’t even need to dodge the attack. Creating another column, the man hopped to it. This time, Shu noticed a
hole open up in the back wall as well.

“Your dad’s a phony!” she yelled to Pong.

“Wanna cause some trouble?” Kari grinned at Shu. The earthbender returned her smile before the
two stood and began moving to the side of the stage.

“Wait,” Rika seemed confused. “Where are you going? See what?” Attempting to sneak around the back of the arena to see what was going on behind the earth wall, the girls were stopped by two large guards.

“Hello kind sir.” Shu put on her most innocent smile. “We have a friend back there who invited us in, so if you wouldn’t mind stepping aside...”

“No one goes back there.” the larger of the two guards snarled. After glancing over at Kari, Shu shrugged and bent a section of the wall at the guards. One was knocked unconscious, the other ran to tend to his friend.

“What’s going on here?” they suddenly heard from above, finding the older Pong towering over them. After a short pause, the girls both began spewing out the first things they could think of in the most whiny voices they could muster.

“He was threatening us!” Karizibi started.

“They were so rude!” Shu added.

“She’s only eleven!”

“And all we wanted to know where the bathroom was!”

“I never expected them to try and attack us!”

“He said he wanted to touch me in places-”

“Enough!” the older earthbender cut them off. “This match is over!” he stormed off, but the younger Pong was able to quickly catch up to him, sliding through the earth in a digging manner.

“Wait!” he called. “My name is Pong, and I’m not sure, but I think you might be my father! If you could just-” And earth wall was abruptly brought up in front of his face. By the time Pong got around it and behind the earth wall, the other earthbender was gone. Rika ran to catch up with him, an earthbender sitting behind her following close behind. There were piles of rubble lying behind the wall.

“I guess this means your dad isn’t an earth bender.” Rika spoke softly. “I’m so sorry Pong.” Pushing her away, he ran into the woods, digging himself a hole and jumping in it. Hearing Rikkako following, he slammed an earth wall shut above him, nearly sealing himself in so she couldn’t reach him. She sat in silence, waiting for him to decide to come out on his own.

Meanwhile, with a shrug, Shu and Karizibi decided to return to the caravan. On their way back, Shu began to glance over her shoulder, finally stopping and confronting an earth nation boy standing there.

“Why are you following us?” she demanded. Giving her a deer in the headlights look, he ran away, much to the girls’ confusion. “Was it something I said?” Shu could be heard asking her friend. They made it back to the luxury car without another incident, but while sitting and chatting, both noticed the earth nation boy sneaking around outside.

“I’ll handle it.” Kari stepped outside.

“Did you need something?” she asked kindly.

“I was...Intrigued.” he told her. “I saw your group earlier in town, and I was wondering why there was a fire nation girl and water tribe girl walking around with two earth nation citizens. It seemed like a strange mix.”

“Oh,” Kari shrugged. “We’re on a quest for the Avatar.”

“Well then...” the earth nation boy didn’t look like he quite believed her. As they fell into an awkward silence, Kari felt the need to speak.

“So...Did you want to hang out and chat or something? Or are you just going to watch us from outside our car all night?” she laughed.

“Sorry! No room!” Shu stuck her head out at that moment, but the firebender rolled her eyes.

“Excuse my friend. She sometimes forgets her manners.”

It took some time, but Rikkako finally managed to coax Pong out, catching him in a hug when he did so. Handing the hamster back, he seemed happier already. When they arrived back at their car, Rika paused at the door when she noticed a guest.

“You were sitting behind us at the arena, weren’t you?” she asked the earth nation boy.

“I was.” he confirmed.

“So you were eavesdropping on us? I saw you following us for a while.”

“You weren’t exactly being quiet...” he tried to explain.

“I ran into him after the match.” Kari explained. “He seemed interested in one of us in particular. His name is Yoshiro.” she sent a look at Rika, wiggling her eyebrows. Pong, catching onto what she meant, was not amused.

“So, what are you doing here?” Pong asked, hostility plain in his voice.

“Aww, something wrong?” Shu grinned. “You seem a little upset Pong.”

“I’ve been traveling for a while...” Yoshiro spoke awkwardly.

“Sure.” Pong glared at him.

“Pong...” A smirk formed on Kari’s face. “Are you jealous?”

“Please, shut up.” he snapped, only causing the firebender to laugh.

“I was kidding.” she rolled her eyes. “He’s not really interested in your girlfriend. Relax.”

“Oh...” Pong’s angry expression immediately shifted to a sheepish one. “So...Where are you from?”

“Ba Sing Se.” Yoshiro replied.

“Well, I’ve never seen you.” Shu turned up her nose.

“It is a big place...” Yoshiro smiled awkwardly. “Where are you from?”

“None of your spiderbee’s wax.”

“The upper ring.” Rika replied for the earthbender.

“Really?” their guest seemed surprised. “What family do you come from, if you don’t mind my asking?”

“Actually,” Shu snapped. “I do.” The group fell into another awkward silence. Fortunately, it was quickly broken by a man stepping into the cart.

“I have a message for Pong.” he spoke, handing it to the young earthbender. He quickly opened and read it.

“Ooooh,” Shu mocked. “Who’s it from?”

“A girl.” he replied smoothly, but neither Kari nor Shu was buying it.

“You’ve never met a girl.” the other earthbender snorted.

“Oh haven’t I?” Pong’s voice began to raise.

“Have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately?”

“Well at least I don’t have a boy’s name! Wait...Damn it!”

“You’ll shut up if you know what’s good for you.” Shu glared at the other earthbender, stepping up and snatching the letter out of his hands, which he quickly grabbed back.

“Shu, fuck off!” the jaws of everyone in the room fell open a little.

After another horribly awkward silence, Yoshiro noticed their hamster.

“What is that?” he asked, clearly excited.

“It’s an arctic hamster.” Pong explained, clearly proud. “Her name is Yubi!” he held her out in his hands. With a simple call, Yubi happily hopped into his own hands, much to the shock of Pong.

“Perhaps we should all get some shut eye.” Rikkako suggested, only wanting to read her bloodbending scrolls.

“Don’t be rude!” Shu chastised her, only wanting to be a nuisance. “Our guest needs a place to rest!”

“Me? Rude?” Rika snorted. “You’re more rude than a menstruating platypus bear!”

“Well!” Kari cut them off. “If you need anything else, the caravan leaves in the morning. Feel free to
stop by.” At that, they all said goodnight to their guest and tried to fall asleep. Pong excused himself to use the little boy’s room. Rikkako decided to wait up for him, taking this opportunity to read her bloodbending scrolls. However, after quite a while, he still hadn’t returned. Rika tucked her scrolls into her bag and headed off into the woods where Pong was supposed to be, but he was nowhere to be found. Rika called his name several times, but there was no response. She began to grow frantic in her search. He could have been kidnapped or dragged off by an animal.

“Something wrong?” a voice called to her. She immediately recognized it as Yoshiro.

“Pong’s missing!” she was near tears. “Have you seen him?”

“I saw him walk into the woods earlier, but that’s it.” Yoshiro paused in thought for a moment. “Do you think he went back to the arena? He might have returned after how badly it upset him earlier.”

“It’s as good of a thought as any.” she rushed off in that direction, Yoshiro close behind.
Arriving in the alley behind a small restaurant, Pong was met by a cloaked figure.

“You’re interested in finding your father,” he spoke. “I know where you can find him.” The man pulled down his hood to reveal his face.

“You’re the Pong from the arena...” Pong realized.

“The last time I checked, yes.” the man snorted.

“You cheated!” Pong accused. “You’re not a bender!” The man lifted a piece of earth from the floor, forming it into a rock, and caught it in his hand.

“I am a bender,” he explained. “But that doesn’t mean that I’m good. I’ve become the hero of this town - a rallying point in times of trouble. I have to maintain that image.”

“But what about when there really is trouble?” Pong demanded. “What will they do when you can’t save them?”

“I make sure trouble won’t start in the first place.” the man explained. “With me around, no one will ever attack.” Pong rolled his eyes, but decided to abandon this conversation.

“Get to the point.” he snapped. “Where’s my father?”

“What do you know?” The man smirked.

“I’ve been told he was in earth rumble.”

“Yes, he was.” the man gave a small chuckle. “Anything else?”

“Not really...Just that he left before I was born.”

“And what do you think the likelihood is of your mother naming you after someone like that?”

“I don’t know and, frankly, you’re trying my patience.”

“You were named for your uncle, not your father. I’m your mother’s brother. However, I do know your father - we were good friends.”

“Well...” Pong stared at the man, his uncle. “Nice to meet you and all. It’s been great catching up, but where is my father?”

“He’s in Ba Sing Se, but his exact location is unknown.”

“Can you tell me about him?”

“His name is Goh. The rest you’ll have to find out from him.” Pong was silent.

“Have you spoken with my mom?”

“Unfortunately, I haven’t had the means to communicate with any family.” his uncle frowned.

“Well, she’s back home. Please tell her I’m sorry.” His uncle gave a small bow, turned, and left him alone in the alley. Pong leaned back against the wall, processing everything he just heard.
Rikkako sat on the arena steps, hyperventilating. Awkwardly, Yoshiro sat beside her, patting her on the shoulder lightly.

“It’ll be fine...I’m sure he can handle himself.” Rain began to fall on the two. Rika was too worried to bother with bending it off her or the earth nation boy. “Let’s get back to the car,” he suggested.

“Maybe he’s already gone back?”
As Pong walked into the luxury car, he was surprised to find that it was silent and Karizibi was the only person awake, crafting a small outfit for Yubi.

“Where is everyone?” he whispered, terrified to disturb Shu.

“I thought they went looking for you?” she asked.

“You don’t know where?” Kari gave him a look.

“I was just told to stay up and watch the car while you all play outside.

“Great!” He turned and walked out.

“I’m sorry we couldn’t find Pong.” Yoshiro apologized at the door to the caravan. “I’m sure he’ll turn up. Just give him time. Maybe it had something to do with that letter earlier?” Rika nodded, stepping into the car to get some rest. Perhaps he was right? However, Yoshiro didn’t get far before running into the young earthbender.

“Yo!” Pong yelled, rushing up.

“Hey!” Yoshiro smiled. “We were looking for you! Rika seemed really worried. She’s in the caravan.”

“Oh,” Pong seemed surprised that Yoshiro had actually helped look for him. “Well, where are you staying?”

“I was actually planning on camping in the woods.”

“It’s going to be really muddy. Why don’t you stay with us?”

“I don’t want to impose...” Yoshiro politely declined, but Pong wasn’t taking that for an answer, telling him to follow him back to the car. He offered him his place in the caravan and walked back out.
Rika, hearing Pong’s voice, immediately woke up. She followed him out of the car.

“Where the hell were you?” she demanded.

“I was...Peeing?” the lie was apparent.

“Bullshit! I searched for you!” she slapped him across the face, hard enough for everyone in the car to hear. “I thought you were dead!”

“Wait,” Pong looked a little confused, but his eyes grew wide. “That was dangerous. You looked for me in the woods at night?” Rika stormed back into the car, leaving Pong to trail after her.

“Sounds like a lover’s quarrel.” Shu cracked an eye open to peer at the red-faced Pong. She glanced over at Yoshiro, already asleep on one of the benches. “What’s he doing here?”

“I invited him.” Pong growled.

“Whatever.” Shu shrugged. “And...did I hear you get slapped?”

“Please,” Pong begged. “Just go to sleep.”

“Whatever, lover boy.” she rolled over to face away from him. As he looked over at Kari, he noticed she was still playing with Yubi, but she appeared to have dressed her up in a small Fire Lord outfit and was forcing her to act out famous battles.

“Give me that!” he snatched the pet from her hands, ripping off the hamster’s outfit. “No terrorizing small villiages!” he told Yubi, cuddling her and placing her back into his pocket.

“So, you’re back for the night?” Kari snapped.

“I guess so?” Pong seemed confused.

“Good. I’m not staying up all night again. I’m going to sleep. You get first watch.” Pong, too afraid to wake anyone else up, stayed up the entire night to watch over the car. He wasn’t there to see Kari squirming in her sleep.

She stood at the edge of a dark void, and from within it, Huwei began to materialize. As she slowly walked closer, Kari could feel the heat draining from her. Her chest was tight, as it had been for their first meeting. She could feel a slight tugging toward the woman. As Kari tried to back up, she found herself frozen to the spot. She began to panic as Huwei lifted a hand to her. Just inches away from her face, where Kari could see the lines in her hands, she woke, fighting back a scream.