Status: New updates will be coming pretty quickly right now, but should slow down shortly.

Book One: Spirits

The Wise Man of the Mountain/The First Death

“Your watch is over now.” Rika snapped as she stepped out of the car. It was daylight by this point, and Kari was more than annoyed that the group had not only made her keep watch for the remainder of the night, but decided to sleep in as well.

“Good.” Kari snapped back. “Now, I’m going back to see the man I spoke with last night. Anyone coming with me this time?” Initially, she was met with silence, but Shu stepped out of the car.

“I’ll come with you.” she shrugged.

“Me too!” Pong suddenly seemed excited by the possibility of meeting a spirit.

“I’ll come too.” Yoshiro sounded hesitant, but didn’t want to be left behind.

“Whatever.” Rikkako turned on her heel and re-entered the car to do some reading.

Kari set off in the direction of the small hut, her friends following in silence. Between her hazy memory and the large footprints of Kong Ran Shan, she was able to locate Old Man Souta’s house with ease. It was exactly as it had been when she left it the previous night, but there was no light coming from within and no smoke wafting from the chimney. Kari knocked on the door, but there was no answer. She knocked a second time, and the door creaked open. Tentatively, she peered in, but the hut was silent and empty. Suddenly, a shadow appeared over the group. All turned as Kari slammed the door shut and were greeted by the massive figure of Kong Ran Shan. Although he was just standing and staring, his presence alone was intimidating.

“What did you do?” Pong whispered harshly.

“I’m looking for Old Man Souta.” Kari spoke to the spirit with as much confidence as she could muster. “He told us to revisit him today.” The spirit didn’t speak. However, he lifted his gaze to the door behind the group. Kari knocked again. There was no answer. As she knocked the second time, however, the door began to open and she was greeted with the same scene as the previous night. As she cast a glance over her shoulder, she realized Kong Ran Shan had vanished.

“Come in, come in!” the strange old man beckoned. Kari was somehow unsurprised that the table had grown and there were now enough chairs to seat everyone waiting at the door. Shu caught her arm as she was about to enter.

“Are you sure about this?” she asked.

“I trust him.” Kari affirmed. Shu glanced in the building once more.

“I am not going into a weird old man’s creepy house. I’ll stand guard.”

“Suit yourself.” Kari chuckled, leading Pong and Yoshiro inside. At Souta’s gesture, all took seats at the table.

“Is there something I can help you children with?”

“I just wanted to ask you a few more questions.” Kari ran a hand through her hair, not sure where to begin. “For starters, you said that you were aware of the Avatar’s condition. How did you know?”

“I have my ways.” his smile was secretive. Kari sighed.

“How can I talk to him? I’ve been trying to meditate in an attempt to reach him, but...”

“You’re on the right path.” Souta assured her, the same smile cemented to his face. Kari began to sip on the tea in front of her, lost in thought.

“So, are you a real people person?” Pong questioned.

“I believe so.” Souta tilted his head. “What makes you ask that?”

“Kari runs into some...Interesting sorts.” Rika responded at the door. The new voice had momentarily distracted them, and as they turned their attention back to Souta, they realized another chair and teacup had been added to the table. Rika took her seat among her friends, seemingly unaware that anything had changed.

“Is there anything else I can help you children with?” Souta inquired.

“Do you have any advice for me?” Karizibi had at la small amount of hope that she might get a decent answer, but was right to be doubtful.

“Trust in your instincts.” Souta replied. “Meditation will do you well. Also, be aware that not everything is as it seems.” Kari sighed at the cryptic nature of his message.

“Do you happen to know anything about airbending?” Yoshiro asked, hopeful.

“Airbending I am not familiar with. The earth, however...” That seemed to be all Shu needed to hear. She grabbed a seat directly next to the old man.

“Can you teach us?” she seemed skeptical. This was, after all, a very frail man.

“Sure” he smiled.

“Then I apologize for calling you weird.” She leaned back in her chair. “What is your name, anyway?”

“They call me the Wise Man of the Mountain.” Kari’s jaw dropped a little, and she exchanged a glance with an equally amazed Rikkako.

“...That’s really what they call you?” Rika sat forward in her seat a little. “Exactly what people call you?” The man’s eyes glittered as he smiled. Something had clicked for the water and firebenders: man sitting before them was Kong Ran Shan himself.

“Wanna go spar?” Shu grinned. The old man simply patted her on the head, much to the girl’s frustration.

“Actually, I think we need to head out.” Rika glanced outside. “Our caravan is about to leave.” The group thanked Souta for his wisdom and said their goodbyes.

After taking a few steps away from the hut, Kari opened her mouth to speak. However, a voice boomed behind her own:

“Karizibi!” it called. She flinched before turning slowly to once again face Kong Ran Shan. Even from this distance, she was forced to stare up at him. “Like this world, the spirit world is out of balance. You play only a small role in bringing it and the avatar back.” She nodded and gave a small bow, realizing that was all he had to say. The group turned to keep walking, but as they glanced back, realized the spirit was gone.

“What the fuck Kari?” Shu asked.

“I have no clue.” she shook her head. “I just would really like to go to sleep at this point.”

At sunset, they reached the ferries that would take them the rest of the way to Ba Sing Se. The group gathered their things and stepped off the caravan, happy to stretch. There was a crowd forming at the front of the dock where people were handing passports to guards.

“Guys,” Rikkako whispered nervously. “What if they check our bags?”

“I’ll kill them.” Kari shrugged. “Don’t worry about it.” it was clear that she was completely distracted by something up ahead. “Rika, is that a member of the water tribe up there?” she pulled the waterbender in front of her to point the man out.

“Looks like it,” she replied. “But he’s not from my tribe. Maybe he’s from the North?”

“I’m going to go talk to him.” Kari pushed forward.

“Why?” Rika asked.

“For fun?”

“You just want him to spear your seal!” the waterbender called after Kari as she “accidentally” bumped into the man.

“Oh!” she feigned surprise. “So sorry! Didn’t see you there!” the man appeared unamused. “Looks like you’re a long way from home. And...are you traveling alone?”

“Unfortunately.” he shrugged. Kari was forced to turn as she heard Pong cry out:

“Piglambs!” Rikkako was attempting to restrain him, but it was a clear struggle to keep him away from the livestock.

“I have to go take care of that.” Kari gestured over her shoulder. “Hopefully I’ll see you around.” At that, she scooted off.

“Pong, stop!” Karizibi grabbed the back of the earthbender’s tunic. “What are you doing?”

“I just wanted to say bye to the piglambs.” he pouted.

“Oh, right...” an interesting idea began to formulate in Kari’s mind. “Considering they’re off to slaughter and all...” she bluffed. Pong turned, horror etched into his features. “What? You didn’t know that’s where they were headed?”

“We can’t let them die!” Pong began to tear up.

“Well, I suppose you’ll have to steal one, then...”

“But...But...Stealing is bad!”

“Well, would it be worse to steal a piglamb and save its life, or do nothing and let all of them die?”
Rikkako turned her attention from the two causing a scene in front of her to a cloaked rider on an ostrich horse forcing the crowd to part. The guards at the front of the room opened the doors to the ferry, allowing the rider to dismount and enter. Just then, a second ostrich horse came barrelling through. As this person dismounted at the doors, Rika clearly recognized him. She slapped Kari in the arm, pulling her attention to her and away from Pong.

“They weren’t going to the slaughter house!” the young earthbender was furious. “I just tried to steal a piglamb for nothing!” Kari was near hysterics.

“Look who it is.” Rikkako teased the firebender, slapping her again. “Shiro!” she flailed her arms, now hollering at the man. “Shiiiiiirrrrroooooo!” She began pointing frantically at Karizibi when he turned. With a smile and a wave, he worked his way over. The two embraced.

“How have you been?” he asked. Kari caught him up quickly on the events of their travels, leaving out key details involving their avatar quest. Although she was happy to see her friend, she didn’t trust his intentions in showing up on her trip.

“Who’s this, Kari?” Shu suddenly appeared at her side.

“Aren’t you a sweetheart!” Shiro knelt at eye level with her. “Is this a friend of yours?”

“Yes, this is-”

“I’ll introduce myself, thanks!” Shu stuck out her hand, shaking his roughly. “The name’s Shu.” the earthbender looked up at Karizibi. “He’s got a weak handshake.” she informed her friend, sending a glare in his direction.

“So, who sent you?” Kari asked, crossing her arms. She did her best to keep her suspicion hidden, but didn’t seem to be doing well.

“Erm...I went on my own.” Kari could tell that he was keeping something from her.

“Oh?” she crossed her arms.

“I’m here to see some friends.”

“Who?”

“Uh...Oh!” He turned to greet someone. “Ping!” He embraced the woman which Rikkako quickly recognized as the person on the other ostrich horse. Kari narrowed her eyes as the two began to walk off toward the ship. This did not sit well with her.

Tired from a long day of travel, most of the group was ready to go to bed as soon as they were allowed on the ship. Kari, however, decided to go for a walk after sleeping so late into the evening. The walk was mostly uneventful for roughly one hour, just as she was preparing to go to sleep. As she headed in, Kari thought she noticed a figure standing on top of a rotunda in the center of the ship. Before she could get a closer look, something else called her attention - strange whispers off the side of the deck. She leaned over, but the water was shrouded in darkness. With a shrug, Kari dropped a fireball in the hope she could get a better feel for what was going on. Below were a group of people in boats, one of which fired at Kari’s face. Fortunately, she was able to dodge his shot and the firebender jumped back as multiple hooks latched themselves to the deck’s railing. She turned and ran to her friends’ door, banging on it.

“Everyone up!” she yelled “Earth Kingdom Nationalists are here!”

The fight was bloody, but quick. Everyone was surprised to notice a new fighter was added to their regular crowd - the waterbender from earlier who introduced himself as Sora. They also noticed arrows embedding themselves in their opponents which could be traced back to a cloaked archer, familiar to the woman Shiro had hugged. Everyone was doing a good job of holding their own, some better than others. Pong severely injured a member of the Earth Kingdom Nationalist with a blast of coal to his face. The young earthbender had to stop fighting to check on the man, concerned that he had been killed. The archer sent an arrow straight through one man’s skull who fell off the side of the ship. By the end of the fight, a man who Karizibi had unleashed her fire whip on did not seem to be moving.

With the battle over, and most of the attackers subdued, Kari rushed to the side of the man she thought she might have killed. Feeling for a pulse, she could find none. A coldness grew within the pit of her stomach as she stared at the body in shock. With a start, she realized that it wasn’t just her that had grown cold, but the very air around her had grown frosty. As realization dawned on her, she quickly scooted away from the body. Above him stood the demon form of Huwei. She reached forward with one of her many legs and his soul began to stream out of his eyes and mouth and into Huwei’s own face. What’s worse was that the firebender could clearly hear him screaming in either terror or agony. Kari squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block out the image. When she opened her eyes again, she watched as the spirit leapt from the ship. More shrieks could be heard below for a few moments, but were suddenly silenced. The man’s cries continued to echo, and Kari couldn’t be certain if the sounds were actually reverberating around the ship or just within her own mind.
Karizibi took a steadying breath and rose to her feet, just in time to greet the guards sprinting around the corner. Her fear suddenly shifted into anger.

“And where were you?” she snarled.

“We were attending to an issue downstairs.” he replied, sizing the girl up. “The Earth Kingdom Nationalists broke in below and stole a few crates. As soon as we found the guards subdued, we came here.” Kari rolled her eyes as they left her, seemingly reporting to the female archer now on the deck with the rest of the group.

“Everyone else alright?” Rikkako asked as she comforted Pong. Although he hadn’t killed the man, the experience had clearly frightened him. He was openly sobbing into Rika’s chest as she dug in her back
for something.

“Fine, I think.” Kari glanced around. “Just a few scratches.” Finally finding what she was looking for,
Rika tied the mask to the young boy’s face.

“What do you know?” she demanded.

“I know as much as you do.” she seemed confused at the other girl’s anger. With a frustrated growl, Karizibi turned back to the guard.

“Do you know what’s missing?” she demanded.

“We’re taking inventory now.” he informed her.

“Of course.” she rolled her eyes. “When you find out what’s been taken, I expect to be informed. In case you were not aware, the Earth Kingdom Military has asked us to investigate them.” she turned to her friends. “I’ll be in the room in a bit. I need to make another stop.”

Several minutes later, she was pounding on Shiro’s door.

“Kari?” he seemed confused at both her visit and her expression.

“Care to explain why I had to kill someone out there?” she demanded.

“I-I have no idea what you’re talking about.” he stammered.

“Why are you really here? I know you were lying about coming here to just see friends.”

“I was also here to check on a few things.” he seemed to be blushing a little. “Namely, you.” Kari’s anger was a little deflated after this comment.

“Alright.” she snapped, turning to walk away.

“Kari.” Shu grabbed her arm, stopping her before she entered the group’s room. “Are you alright?”

The firebender slowly began to shake her head “no”. Her hardened expression was slowly crumbling into one of fear.

“It gets easier.” the young earthbender assured her. “You’ll get through this.”

“I saw Huwei.” she whispered. “I saw her take their souls. They were screaming.” She took another death breath. “I think I just need to sleep it off.” Shu nodded in agreement, ushering her friend inside.