4 Letter Word

Best Friend

Catalina
"And that's why Boo Radley is an example of a mockingbird."

I looked over and saw my best friend Cache struggling to stay awake. I shook my head and chuckled as her head drooped to the side.

"Ok, so that's it for today."

Finally, he's done. I thought that my teacher would never finish talking. The afternoon announcements came on and a few minutes later the bell rang to go home.

I walked out of my English class and went down the hall to my locker. I smiled when I saw my other best friend Princess standing there with a grin on her face.

"And how may I help you on this fine day?" I asked her.

"Diggy's gonna be on 106 & Park today!" she said as her grin turned into a big smile.

"I know." I said smiling even harder than she was.

I know everything there is to know about Diggy. And I mean everything. Now I know you're probably thinking that I'm a stalker or that I'm
obsessed, but I'm not. Me and Diggy have been
best friends since we were four years old. We met at daycare, back when I used to live in Jersey.

January 16, 2000
I was sitting at the table playing with my Barbie, when her shoe fell off and rolled across the floor. I was about to go get it, but a curly haired boy had already picked it up. He came up to me holding it out in the palm of his hand.

"Is this yours?" he asked.

I nodded my head and took it out of his hand. "Thank you," I said smiling.

He smiled back. "You're welcome. My name's Daniel, what's yours?"

"Catalina."

"That's a pretty name."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

I wanted to be his friend, but I knew that he wouldn't want to play with my dolls. I took out my crayons and coloring book that my mommy put in my backpack.

"Wanna color with me?" I asked holding up the book.

"Yeah!" he said sitting down next to me. He grabbed a blue crayon and started coloring. "How old are you?" he asked.

Four." I said without looking up from the flower that I was coloring.

Me too, but I'm turning five in March."

I looked up at him. "I don't turn five until October, you're older than me."

That's okay, we can still be friends," he said with a smile.

I smiled too. "Okay."

"So have you talked to him lately?" she asked as we walked through the front doors of the school and made our way down the steps.

"Uh, like two weeks ago, I think."

"Oh."

"Yupp." I responded looking through my bag for my keys. "Well, see you tomorrow."

"See ya."

***************

I kept feeling something poking my arm, but I didn't want to open my eyes. I felt the bed move and then something touched my arm.

"Lee Lee, wake up."

I openedy eyes and saw my little brother Dominic sitting on my bed.

"Hey Nicky. You just got here?" I asked pulling him onto my lap.

He nodded his head. "Mhmm, mommy wants you."

"She downstairs?"

He nodded again. I picked him up and made my way down the stairs. I went into the living room and sat Dominic on the couch next to me. At first I thought that I was in trouble or something, but my mom and dad looked happy, so that couldn't be it. Now that I think about it, they look a little too happy.

"Hey baby." my mom said smiling at me.

"Hi." I replied, a little confused. "Why are y'all so happy?"

My dad smiled. "We're going to Atlanta this weekend."

"We meaning who?" I asked.

"Me, your mom, and Nick."

"Wait, wait, wait. Y'all are going to Atlanta and leaving me here by myself?"

"Yeah, you'll be okay, it's only for three days." my dad said like it was nothing.

"So why can't I go?" I asked getting mad.

"Calm down. You're not going because we're leaving Friday morning and you have school." my mom answered.

"That's one day!"

"And you're not missing it." she said giving me a look that made me shut up.

"That's not fair." I pouted crossing my arms, hoping they would change their minds.

"Life's not fair." my dad said.

I glared at him and stood up. I stomped my way up the steps and into my room, slamming the door behind me. I turned my tv on and switched the channnel to BET just in time to see 106 & Park coming on. Terrence and Rocsi did their intros and after the first couple of videos the started talking about Diggy.

"Today's first guest is a young dude who's slowly taking over the rap game. That and the hearts of all the young ladies out there." Terrence said making the girls in the audience cheer.

"Y'all give it up for Diggy Simmons!" Rocsi screamed.

The girls went crazy as Diggy made his way onto the little platform where Terrence and Rocsi were standing. He gave Rocsi a hug and dapped up Terrence then waved to the audience.

"So how are you?" Rocsi asked him after the girls calmed down.

"I'm good, glad to be here." he smiled looking around.
"We're happy to have you. So, you have a new video for us today right?" Terrence asked.

"Yes. It's for my song 4 Letter Word." he replied making the girls scream.

"Well we're gonna check that out right now."

The video was really cute, it was kind of sad though. It went to a commercial break so I went to the bathroom. The show was coming back on when I stepped out of my bathroom.

"Diggy," Rocsi started, "I'm sure you get asked this alot, but the girls here want to know if there's a special lady in your life. And we don't mean your mama."

Diggy chuckled. "Nah, I don't have a girlfriend."

"Then who is this?" Terrence asked as a picture popped up on the big screen.

I looked at the picture and realized that it was of me and Dig when he came to Philly.

He looked at the screen and smiled. "That's my best friend Lina."

"Aww, tell us a little about her."

"Well, we met at daycare when we were four. Besides my parents and my grandma, she's my biggest fan. She's actually the reason why I'm known as Diggy."

"Really?" Terrence asked.

"Yeah," he smiled, "One day at daycare we were playing and she went to go get a toy. My nosed started itching on the inside so I stuck my finger in to scratch it. She came back and saw me and was like 'Ew Danny, why you diggin' in your nose?'" he said imitating my four year old voice.

Everybody started laughing. I laughed too, remembering that day.

"So I was like 'I'm not diggin', I'm scratchin.' and she said 'Okay Captain Diggy.' Then at my fifth birthday party she ran into my living room and screamed 'Happy birthday Captain Diggy!'. Ever since that day everybody's always called me Diggy."

"That is too cute." Rocsi said laughing.

"I know you're busy and you gotta go, but it was nice seeing you." Terrence said.

"You too." Diggy said hugging them.

"When we get back, Miss Melanie Fiona will be here!" Rocsi said as it went to commercial.

I turned the tv off and went downatairs to eat dinner, then went back to my room and took a shower. I got out and put on lotion, deodorant, and my pajamas. I climbed into bed amd reached over to turn off the lamp, stopping as a picture of me and Dig caught my eye. I smiled at it and turned off the light, falling asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title: "Best Friend" by Harry Nilsson

The interview was completely made up and the reason for his name. Some of the events in this story will be based off of real life (my life) events and all of the OC's are real people, minus Catalina.

Tell me what you guys think of it so far :)