I Wanna Get Well

My new-found fear.

The next morning I awoke to the obnoxious sound of my alarm beeping next to me. I groaned, sluggishly hitting the ‘snooze’ button. I laid there for a moment, staring at the clock who’s green numbers read 8:30. The small circle after it was the incognito way of my clock telling me it was, in fact, the morning. I had to think for a minute, curious as to the fact why I was waking up so early anyways. It was then reality smacked in the face.

I had a job!

I shot out of bed, practically running to the shower. Once I had taken my hot shower and wrapped myself up in a towel, I was feeling better already. The aroma of strawberries and Axe Anarchy for Girls filled my senses and put me in bliss. I loved the lethal mix of my hair care and body wash. Parker thought I was stupid but I saw the way he acted when he wore his Old Spice. He knew exactly what I went through.

I made sure to get dressed, including blow drying my hair, before I headed into the kitchen. It was only nine, giving me a half an hour to get something to eat before Parker would need to head to work and drop me off on the way. Parker was the opposite of me. The moment he woke up he got food then got ready. I could tell today was another example from the empty bowl and spoon in the sink. I skipped to the freezer, grabbing some Toaster Studels, popping them into the toaster. I grabbed a plate before plopping onto the counter, humming as I patiently waited for my breakfast to finish.

Just as the pastries popped up in the toaster, Parker walked in yawning. I bid him a good morning as I spread the white icing across the crispy bread. He paused in mid step, looking at me curiously. I shifted awkwardly and began to gnaw on my bottom lip. “What?”

“Are you feeling okay?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“You were in bed before I got home and yet you seem all giddy this morning. Usually when you’re in bed that early you’re pulling yourself around like a zombie,” Parker pointed out, plopping down on a stool. He was right. I laid in bed to relax but ended up sleeping and not waking until my alarm earlier. So in short I hadn’t seen Parker since this time yesterday.

“Well, you know, new job and I had a lot of work to do. Guess I was just a lot more tired than I thought,” I remarked, shrugging it off before I took a bite of my pastry.

Parker gave me a disbelieving look for a few more moments before he smiled. “So how was the first day anyway?”

“Good! Finally got his nasty home cleaned up so now it’s just the boring stuff. But damn dude, I thought you were messy. This guy is so much worse!” I groaned. Parker laughed at me.

“I feel no sympathy; you knew what you were stepping into by taking this job.” I mocked him playfully causing him to roll his eyes. “How was this Johnny character? He wasn’t mean to you was he?”

“No, he was okay. Well, I mean, kinda. I dunno. He wasn’t mean but he wasn’t nice. He avoided me most of yesterday so the only time we spoke was at lunch and when he gave me a ride home. But since he did avoid me I’m thinking he doesn’t like me much.” I shrugged to myself as I finished off the first half of my meal. “But as long as he signs my check I really don’t care.”

“I guess that’s one way to think of it.” I smiled at him just as his phone let out a line of some song. He dug into his jeans, his hand emerging with his phone. He skimmed over the text and sighed as he climbed off the stool. “Looks like I’m going to have to take you to work a little early. I have to get down to the shop early. It seems that Zack and the guys are recording today so he’s going to try to get his work with me done as soon as possible.”

“Ugh. That means Johnny will probably be in a shit mood. I don’t think he’s even stepped on his front porch in forever,” I groaned. I checked to make sure I had my phone and headphones before jumping off the counter. I looked at my untouched strudel and frowned. “You want this?”

“Are you sure? You hardly ate,” Parker asked as he picked up his keys, eyeing my body suspiciously. I blushed and stared at the wall.

“I’m fine. I ate a lot last night. Johnny picked me up some McDonald’s and I just don’t think it’s quite out of my system yet.” I doubt Parker bought my bullshit excuse but he didn’t argue with me. He simply grabbed the pastry from my hand before leading the way out to his car. Within ten minutes I was walking up the walkway to Johnny’s front door as Parker headed off to the pier. I grabbed the key and unlocked the door before replacing the key. I stepped into the entrance to find it dark. The only side of the house that would be lit is the back half but for whatever reason even that side was dark.

“Johnny?” I called. I was given no response. I frowned before heading up the stairs. I knocked lightly on his door and waited. Nothing. I pushed it open to see his room still neat from my cleaning except for the bed. The sheets and comforter was rumpled but empty. I rubbed my neck, wondering where he could be. His truck was still here so it’s not like he had gone somewhere. I doubted he even knew this time of the morning existed. I sighed, deciding to test out the basement.

I tested the door to find it unlocked. It was actually kind of a shock to me. The way Johnny had been so protective of this room yesterday, snapping at me when he found me trying to go down there to clean, I was surprised to find it unlocked. I poked my head in to see a set of stairs before me and a pale light around the corner at the bottom. I cautiously walked down them, prepared for the obnoxious groans I was expected to be heard. I was happily surprised to know they were silent as they took my weight. At the bottom of the case I was faced with a door. I knocked softly and got no reply, again. I sighed and turned the knob, shoving the door open.

Before me was the likes of a basement I had never seen before. It was a large room, holding records and plaques on the walls. One wall was simply dedicated to bass guitars. All different kinds were hung up and obviously well taken care of. There was also a stack of amps, small piano, and a drum kit. The kit was the most beautiful kit I had ever seen. Once upon a time Parker had been pretty good at drums and I was his apprentice. It didn’t last too long but I was still a pretty good amateur and I admired kits. But this one…man, oh man, this one was fantastic.

It was a double bass kit with so many symbols I could practically feel drool gathering in my mouth. It was a deep blue, almost black, with two skulls with bat wings on either bass. I knew the symbol was familiar but in my awestruck gaze I couldn't think of it. I stepped forward, peering closer. Like the other instruments in the room, it was well cared for. Even the stool behind the kit looked brand new. The light colored sticks in the holder didn't even look used! Who would just leave a drum kit like this to collect dust?

Don’t touch it!” I jumped, nearly tripping over myself as I quickly stepped away from it. A couch was on the left side of the room that I hadn't even noticed. From it had rose a figure covered by a blanket. As it sat up I discovered it was actually Johnny. His hair was a mess and he was only dressed in boxers. His eyes were dark with anger as he stood and the blanket fell to the ground. I guess he hadn't been able to sleep in bed and had decided to come down here instead. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“I just…I was…uhh…” Anything intelligent that I could have said was gone the moment I saw his eyes. They were cold and seemed unstaring but at the same time they were full of hatred and threatening as a lion in your living room. I could feel my blood run cold and tears pricking the back of my eyes. I had to hold it together. Don’t show weakness or the lion will swallow you whole.

“Get out,” Johnny growled. That was enough to make my body come out of its statue stand. I dashed out of the room and then up the stairs. As I slammed the last door open again I tripped over my own feet and hit the floor. I jumped up again and continued to run. I ran and I ran and I didn’t stop until I felt like I couldn't breathe. I stopped, leaning over and placing my hands on my knees to try and catch my breath. Looking around I realized I had no fucking clue as to where I was. I may have lived in Huntington for nearly my whole life but so much had changed in two years. I sighed and sat down on a nearby bench, grumbling curses to myself.

I’m such an idiot. My brilliant idea was running from Johnny’s house? Maybe go outside or just avoid him at all costs, but running away when I had no idea where I was, was possibly the worst idea I ever had. I took deep breaths as I rested my forehead on my knees and laced my fingers together over my head. Breathe in, breathe out. I used this as my mantra to calm myself. I could feel an anxiety attack bubbling on the horizon and I was hoping this old trick Dr. Abrams taught me would still work. After a minute or so I heard someone clear their throat.

“Hey, are you okay?”

I forced myself to raise my head high enough to meet the eyes of the person before me. He was pretty tall, probably about Matt’s height, if not a little shorter. In fact, he looked about Matt’s age too. He had short, messy, black hair and soft, brown eyes. A nose ring twinkled in the morning light. He was dressed in sweatpants, a muscle shirt, and black Nike’s. He was dressed for a jog but seemed to have either not done it yet or just hadn't broken even the smallest of sweats yet. He seemed nice enough but of course I was going to stay guarded.

“Yeah, I’m uh, I’m fine,” I spoke. I tried to sound confident but it was far from it. It was almost hysterical but that might have just been the anxiety freak-out-about-to-happen talking. The look the man gave me was a sign it wasn't hysterical, just very unbelievable.

“Do you mind if I sit?” I shook my head, bringing my knees to my chest and hugging my legs. He sat next to me, making sure to leave room between the two of us. It lapsed into silence. A silence I couldn't decide if it was comfortable or awkward. I think it just was. That probably doesn't make any sense. “What’s wrong kid?”

“Huh?” I turned to see it was the man talking and he was, in fact, talking to me. I decided to let the ‘kid’ comment slide, I wasn't in much of a mood to fight with him about my age. He probably wouldn't believe me anyways. “I have bad anxiety and, you know, it’s trying to kill me.”

“Any particular reason it is today or is this just a common thing?”

“I pissed off the person I work for.”

“How?”

“I have no clue.” He stared at me with a confused look. I sighed, beginning to braid my ponytail. “I just started working as a maid or whatever you wanna call it for this dude my brother knows. I was looking at his drum kit and he practically tore off my head. I ran away and ended up here, lost.”

“That sounds like quite the ordeal,” he spoke after a minute or so of processing this new information. I nodded in agreement, sighing. “So what is your plan?”

“I guess find my way back. I don’t have much else of an option. I’ll only worry my brother if I tell him what happened, and he already has enough to worry about,” I added quietly. The man nodded, standing to his feet. I peered at him curiously.

“Well, I wish you luck kid. If it helps, I saw you run down from that street,” he spoke, pointing the way I had come. “If you still can’t find your way pace back here and I’ll help you out. I’ll be around for another hour or so.”

“Thank, I guess.” He grinned before jogging off down the path. I guess really it was better than nothing. I let out a short sigh before climbing to my feet. Guess I might as well try to find my way back already.
♠ ♠ ♠
omg, an update, whaaat? Yesh, my lovely readers (if any of you are still here), I have written you an update. Weird, no? I'm really trying to get back into my writing even more than last time you heard me say this. To put it short, my life and depressing it slowly spiraling downwards and I'm hoping writing like this will keep helping me like it did already today. So I plan to get more active again, but I really don't know how my other two stories are going to go. I KNOW I had ideas to make them flow again but I lost that at least a month ago. So I'm going to brainstorm again and hopefully get a move on. Sadly there is always that chance I quit them, but let's hope I don't. Well that's enough rambling for today, guess that's what happens when I forget to take my meds. Aha, anywho. Comments are lovely, thanks.

Xoxo,
Tina.