Motion Sickness

.01 Homeless

"Mom. I already told you, I'm freaking driving to England!" I yelled as I threw my last bag in the trunk of my teal Camaro. Ape smirked and tossed another one of her bags in.

"Taylor Calvin! Your car has 150,000 miles on it, its the same one you've had since you were a Freshman! And you live in America! You are not driving to England!" she argued back, still in her pajama pants. It was seven in the morning and she had forbidden me to go about a year ago. I just graduated high school like, two days ago, and I had been planning on doing this since Freshman year.

"You don't understand! The point of this isnt specifically to get to England in the end!" I argued back and walking over to the porch where she was standing. Ape was still pulling the last of her bags into the trunk and the back of the car. "I'm eighteen, Mom. And I'm tired of Carolina. Me and Ape, we're going out exploring! We're aiming towards England yea, but I doubt we'll actually make it there."

Her arms were crossed in her loose sweatshirt as she stared down at me. Her hair a mess, since she had woken up to the sound of us dragging our bags outside across the wood floor. "So you're going on this impossible journey, expecting to fail?!" Thats my mom for you. She always has a plan. She can't do anything unless she's got an itinerary written out. God forbid she ever does anything spontaneous like this.

Because thats pretty much my life. Ape's always telling me I'm a spontaneous mess.

"Mom! I'm not argueing with you about this anymore!" I snapped. I felt pretty mature with that comment myself, don't you think? "I'm leaving! Theres nothing you can do about it! I'm an adult, and I'm moving out. End of story!" I yelled, throwing my hands up in the air, just as Ape walked up next to me. "You ready?" I asked, looking down at her.

"Yup, thats all of them."

I turned towards my car just as Mom yelled again, "And April's mother is ok with this?!"

I rolled my eyes and turned back around, "Yes April's mother is fucking ok with this! April will probably be back!"

She rolled her eyes. "And you're not?"

I groaned. "Mom! Get with the program! I am going. So that I. Can get out of. Carolina!" I broke it down so it might be easier to process. I'm getting tired of this argueing shit! If we don't leave soon we'll get off schedule!

Shifting, she looked off to the side, biting her lip. "So..so this is it? You're just gonna..fucking leave?"

Great, now shes gonna cry.

I sighed, "Yes but its not like you'll never hear from me again. I've got a phone. Aprils got a phone. And hey, maybe I won't find anything better," I offered with a shrug. "Maybe shitty-ass Carolina is as good as it gets?"

Tears started rolling down her face as she let out a very faint laugh and shook her head. "I hate to say it Taylor, but I don't think I ever got used to you. And you're my own daughter."

I smiled. "Thats because we're two totally different kinds of people, that get along for some weird reason." It's true, me and Mom got along great most of the time. Only when I did things like this did she get mad. I glanced down at my phone. I had five minutes before we had to leave. "Give me a fucking hug," I mumbled, walking toward the porch.

She met me at the bottom of the steps and wrapped her skinny arms around my shoulders. "I love you Taylor," she sobbed into my shoulder. "And we're all gonna miss you."

"Love you too," I said out of habit. Not that I didn't mean it, but it really was just habit to say it back. "And I'll come visit, don't worry."

She sniffed again, finally letting me go. But she quickly put her hands on my face. "Now, if you ever need anything, you call me or your father. Ok?"

I nodded and smiled. Finally she was gonna let me go.

"And you watch your fucking language," she said with a small, choked laugh, since she was still crying and all.

I smiled wider. When I was younger, she used to bitch at me about my language all the time. Until finally she just gave up. I hugged her again, "Bye Mom."

"Bye," she muttered. It was so surreal. I was leaving. As soon as I got into that car I was going to be homeless. And it felt great.

Because, believe it or not, I had never left the state. I know, I should get some sort of prize for managing to stay in the tiny state of South Carolina my whole life, right? It's almost hard to do something like that.

Ape was leaning against the car patiently. I'm almost jealous of her, she's so pretty. She was all around tiny. She had a tiny waist and tiny legs and tiny arms. She was wearing pretty much the same thing as me: a tank top, pj pants, socks, and sandals that we stole from the college last year on a school trip. Her pj pants were dark grey with a plaid pattern, and she had a red top. Whereas mine was dark purple and white striped, and my pants were black and white checkered.

"Finally get her blessing?" she asked, tucking a strand of dark brown hair behind her ear. It was up in a messy ponytail that she had slept in.

That reminded me to pull mine back up. "Yea, she freaking cried though. Makes me feel kind of bad." I said quietly, even though I knew my mom probably couldn't hear me anymore anyway.

"Taylor Calvin? Have feelings? Huh uh.." she laughed walking over to the passengers side. That made me smirk.

April might be really skinny and pretty much have the body of a model, but she's far from a skanky bitch you'd find at school. She was generally shy unless you were her best friend (like me) and she pretty much kept me in line. She went along with whatever I was doing, unless it was seriously stupid. Like this one time, I wanted to jump off my house because I was bored? She wouldn't let me. I'm kind of glad she didnt. My house is big.

But she had green eyes. Which I was also envious of. Green is always cool. I'm stuck with blue ones. Talk about the most common eye colour in the whole freaking world. I have blue eyes and brown hair, that I dyed black. Well, Ape did it, but yea, it's black. And I'm average sized, you know? Like not fat but not skinny. Not tall but not short. Ape's short. I'm not jealous of that though. Thats just funny.

"How does it feel to be officially homeless?" she asked, once I started the car. I looked over at her to answer, but immediately saw a flash.

"Dude I was just thinking about that a second ago," I replied. Trying not to think of the fact that she had just taken a picture. "It's ok I guess. I just hope that I find something better than Carolina."

"Trust me T. Theres love for you outside this place."

I pulled out of the driveway and waved goodbye to mom one last time. "I never said I was looking for love, Ape. I don't believe in love."

She rolled her eyes, "You can't not believe in love. Thats like not believing in Wednesdays. It's a part of life. You can not like love, but you can't just not believe in it."

I smiled. This was always Ape's arguement. "I'm telling you. I just don't believe in it. Nobodys gonna change that."

And with a small sigh, she replied, "Sure Taylor, but the first time you can't sleep at night because some guys stuck in your head? I'm gonna remind you of this conversation."

I shook my head and smirked. "Not if you forget it first."