Say Cheese!

Happy Birthday to ...

My heart leapt up to my throat. I thought it was about to slip out of my mouth. My heart rate almost doubled, and I watched Cleo's grip on Billie's arm tighten. I could hear them both breathing from here. I watched Cleo's eyes. They were looking above my head. Suddenly, I felt an arm around my neck. I went to jump up, but then realized I couldn't 'cos I had a broken leg. I was trying to get free, but Cleo's slowly shook her head, still in a state of shock. Then, without warning, she raised her hand and pointed across the road.
"Look, help me!" she yelled. The person or whoever was holding me loosened his grip as he looked over his shoulder. Cleo then dropped her hand, gabbed my legs and pulled. Obviously, the 'stroller' moved forward, taking me with it. She dragged me into the house as Billie held the door open. Then Bill ran in and slammed the door, locking it. I just stared at the two of them, out of breath.
"Oh my god, Mike." mumbled Cleo, coming and hugging me, on the verge of tears. I hugged her back, still staring at Billie. He looked close to tears, jaw dropped, looking at me uncertainly.
"He had a . . a . . .he was gonna . . . . . You could've . . ."
He was still in shock. I smiled slightly at him, as he joined the 'family' hug.
Later that night, me and Billie sat in my room. It must have been about half two in the morning. He was sat on the floor in his trousers. Cleo was in her room, sleeping probably.
"It's freaky." he said suddenly. I looked over at him from where I was sat on my bed.
"What's freaky?"
"Having a girl younger than you and me in the house."
He grinned.
"Bill, she's only younger than me by like, four days."
"Yeah, but it's still freaky."
I smiled slightly at him where he was sat on the floor, leaning against the wall.
"Do you like her?"
"Do I like her? She's weird, but in a wonderful kinda way. If you get me."
"I know what you mean. Awesome."
"Exactly."
%Cleo's POV%
It was dark. And early in the morning. I was curled up on my bed. I wanted to go back to the home. I wanted Tom. I wanted MY bed. This wasn't my bed. This was just a single bed in a house. It didn't smell like all the deodorant Tom put on in the morning, It didn't smell like dog backside. Jimmy was curled up on the floor, dead to the world. I suddenly felt home sick. It's funny, isn't it. You can be somewhere for a whole day and feel fine. But then, as soon at the darkness comes, you wanna go home. You want your friends and family. I could feel that dreaded lump in my throat rising, and my heart seemed to have put on weight.
I began to sing to myself. Just some random tune to the music of ten green bottles.
"Ten old men, sitting on a wall, sitting on a wall, sitting on a wall. Ten old men, sitting on a wall. One fell off and broke his hip."
Yeah, I know, kind of nonsensical, but, it kinda sums me up.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The summer passed before I even knew it had begun. Me and Mike got to know each other even more, and we kind of became almost best friends. Well, after Billie Joe. The three of us spent a lot of time together. Walking the streets until dawn. Smoking in toilets. Pretty good fun.
Mike's leg fixed, after like, six weeks. I drew obscene things all over his cast, so he had to get it changed regularly.
I started school. Now, that may sound strange, but, it's true. I went to a real school, for the first time since I was nine. Yeah, three years, isn't that long, but, having to socialize with people for the first time in that long, it's hard. I found it hard to listen and basically do work. So, by January, I'd officially given up. Education is a waste of time anyway. I can spell my name and say all the words under ten letters long from the dictionary. Problem solved. I got labeled as 'thick' or 'stupid' and got picked on. Yeah, it's amazing how cruel kids can be. They know nothing about you, but still, they taunt you, pick on you, call you names, threaten you, kick you, punch you. I wasn't used to all this attention. Especially as 99% of it was negative. Back at the home, you got attention, but you know, it's like living with your father, who happens to have 50 kids to look after. You're not exactly going to get a lot of attention. Over the summer it was mainly just me, Mike and Billie.
Still, the three of us were still close. Me and Billie in the same classes. Mike in some, but, he was cleverer than me.
Billie's birthday grew ever closer. The big one-three. Officially a teenager. Me and Mike were planning a big surprise birthday party. Well, not a party as such, but, we were gonna have an awesome time. I'd gone shopping the week before and bought his present. A three foot stick. I thought he'd like, but, Mike wasn't too sure. We'd also arranged to meet up with Tom from the home. He'd turned fifteen in November. He'd called, saying he was in town a couple of days after Bill's birthday, so we'd arranged to meet at the mall. I just hoped I'd be able to cope with it. I mean, it's like mixing business with pleasure i a weird kinda way, one of my lives with the other. My life at the home with my new life, with Mike and Billie. I was just worried about what was gonna happen when my two worlds collided head on with each other.