Can't Fight This Feeling

Chapter 2

They’d been driving for a little over an hour when Bobby called. Dean’s ringtone, ‘Smoke on the water’ blared out.

“Bobby?” he answered, not taking his eyes off the road. He hadn’t slept in a long time, his eyes were heavy, and he just wanted to pull into the nearest motel.

“Dean, I have a job for you.” he groaned, couldn’t he have just one night off? They'd been working cases the past two weeks straight. Sam was still having nightmares every night, and Dean just wanted to rest.

“What is it Bobby? Can’t it wait, I need to sleep.”

“No it can’t. It’s Nyx, she needs your help and you’re damned well going to give it to her.” Dean was taken aback. Nyx? He hadn’t spoken to her in ten years, not since their argument. He’d been too stubborn to call her. At sixteen he'd thought he knew everything, he was stupid, but he had too much pride to be the one to call her. In his mind she’d made no attempt to fix things, so why should he?

“Bobby. No.” he wasn’t going to do this. Whatever it was, Dean knew she could handle it. She was as good a hunter as him or Sam.

“Listen, you’re going to go and help her, get over yourself. Whatever you three fell out about it can’t be so bad as not to speak to each other for ten years. You were kids! She needs your help. Dean, it’s her first job since the accident.” Dean suddenly felt guilty. He didn’t know exactly what had happened, Bobby refused to tell him, but he knew it had nearly killed her both physically and emotionally.

“Where is she?” he sighed, rubbing his eyes. He wasn't going to be sleeping for a while longer. He knew he needed to do this, maybe he hadn’t forgiven her, but she needed him, and that was what was important. He memorised the address, she wasn’t far from where they were now which meant he’d have a chance to get a few hours sleep.

He drove for another hour before waking Sam; he’d slept more than Dean had in the last week. His mind had been full of thoughts about their dad, and if they were going to find him. Sam took over driving for a while and Dean fell quickly asleep, only to be woken a few hours later by Sam.

“We’re here…why are we here anyway?” Dean had yet to tell Sam why they were in Pennsylvania. As far as Sam was aware they were on their way to Connecticut to deal with a suspected Werewolf, it was nearly a full moon.

“Nyx needs help.” Dean jumped out of the car, not giving Sam time to question him. Dean was good at avoiding things, but he knew he couldn’t really avoid this. Sam jumped out the car and grabbed Dean’s arm.

“What do you mean Nyx needs help? How do you know? We haven’t spoken to her in ten years!” Sam exclaimed. He’d always been mad at his brother for that, Nyx was his best friend, and because of his brothers stubbornness he’d lost her.

Dean sighed, he couldn’t avoid it forever. “Bobby called last night, he said she needed help. It’s her first case back since the accident.” he explained.

“What accident?” Dean wanted to punch himself in the face, Sam had been away at college, and he’d never got round to telling him.

“Well I don’t know exactly, Bobby wouldn’t tell me. I just know it was bad, bad enough for her to stop hunting. She went into hiding pretty much, no one heard from her for a year, everyone thought she was dead until about sixth months ago when she showed up on Bobby’s doorstep.”

Sam was fuming, “Why the hell didn’t you tell me this? It was you that was mad at her, not me! God damn it Dean I’m fed up of this, get over it. She was a kid Dean, just a kid.” Dean knew this was true, but he wasn’t going to give in to Sam. He was too stubborn.

“You weren’t here Sammy; you were off at school, remember? You were the one who cut us off, not me! She wasn’t just a kid Sam. You know that as well as I do. She knew what she was saying.” Dean growled.

“Yeah, but I’ve been back for a month now, and have you ever considered she was right?”

Dean wanted to throttle his brother, “She wasn’t right! She had no right to say what she did! No right at all, but of course you would agree. You’re only happy when you’re away from our family right? Listen Sam, I don’t care about her. Bobby asked me to do him a favour, so let’s hurry this up so I can get out of here.” Dean stormed off towards the motel room Nyx was staying in, not giving Sam time to answer.

He banged loudly on the door, and less than five seconds later it swung open, Dean wasn’t expecting what he saw. In his mind part of him was still expecting her to look the same way she did when she was thirteen, but boy was he wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so I know this isn't much better than the first chapter, in fact it's probably worse, but please bear with me. It'll get better.