Sequel: Forever and Always
Status: Finished

Counting the Stars

But this ain't our last dance, so baby dance on

"I don't understand why you continue to like him, Callista. Move on to someone who deserves you! You could have any guy in the whole world, and you're chasing after someone who won't treat you right." Eleanor sighed.

We were standing in line at Starbucks, waiting for our drinks. As planned, as soon as I arrived at the hotel, Eleanor was dressed and ready to go. The entire trip to Starbucks she listened to me ramble about the interview and the mixed signals Niall was sending.

"You don't just stop liking someone, El. It's really hard to sit there and say to yourself, 'Self, I really think you should stop liking that guy because he is no good for you.' It's practically impossible! Plus, when we're together he does treat me right," I explained, "That would be like you telling yourself to stop loving Louis."

Eleanor waggled her finger at me, "Ah, that's where you're wrong. I love Louis, it's not just some puppy dog crush."

"How did you know you loved Louis? Like, more than just liking... How did you know you were in love with him?" I asked her.

The Starbucks worker called out both of our names. We retrieved our drinks and walked outside of the small coffee shop.The New Jersey weather was incredibly, it was blazing hot and it wasn't extremely humid. It was just perfect.

"It was really sudden, I guess. I woke up in the middle of the night after having the weirdest dream ever. Louis was the first one I wanted to call and tell all about it. That's when I realized he was not only my boyfriend, but he was my best friend. It just kind of hit me then," She smiled dreamily as she spoke.

You could just tell by the way that Louis and Eleanor talked about each other that they were head over heels for each other. They always had the same dreamy smile and magical twinkle in their eyes as soon as they mentioned their relationship. I was envious of the love they shared for each other, that was all I wanted. 

Eleanor always would tell me stories about her and Louis and would then talk about how she felt about it all. The feelings she described were the same feelings I felt around Niall, which was what made me so happy. Though, it seemed that those feelings were coming from only one side.

I pouted, "I want your life... I am so insanely jealous of your relationship and... SIGH!"

Eleanor began to giggle uncontrollably, "Did you just say the word sigh instead of actually sighing?"

I stuck my tongue out at her, "Yes I did... Shut up. I am in a state of mini depression, let me do what I want."

Eleanor rolled her eyes and we continued on with our day. There were a few strip mall type shops near our hotel, which was where we spent a majority of our time. I only had an hour or so, seeing as I sound check at 3 and it was almost 1 and I needed a little while to get dressed and ready. 

We went into the first store empty handed, and left with bags in both hands. By the time the shopping trip was over, I had bought more clothes than I think I had ever bought in my entire life.

"I think we can call this trip a success," Eleanor said, dropping her bags of clothes on her bed.

Management decided it would be best for Eleanor and I to share a room. I'm not entirely sure why they were making her stay with me instead of Louis, but I wasn't going to complain. I'd now have some company wherever we would go.

"I agree. That was an intense hour of speed shopping," I laughed, setting down my bags as well.

Eleanor grinned, "Do you feel slightly better?"

I nodded eagerly, "That I do. It helped me a lot to have someone to talk to and have som retail therapy take my mind off of things. Thanks, El."

She flashed me another award winning, Crest White Strips model smile, "Anytime, Callista. We're practically sisters now. But I need you to stop thanking me and go get dressed to kick some drumming ass tonight for your "first" show."

I rolled my eyes at her playfully and she just laughed. I was so thankful to have Eleanor continuing on with us for another two weeks. Once she leaves, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do. I didn't realize how dependent I had become with her around.

I pulled out a new blouse and shorts that I bought on the shopping trip and quickly changed. The time on my phone was 2:30, so I was cutting it really close for time. I didn't bother with my hair or makeup, knowing that if I talked to Lou she'd do it for me before the concert started.

Once I was dressed and ready to go, I ran out of the bathroom and grabbed my purse and phone, "See ya soon, El. Off to Soundcheck!" 

She was typing away on her phone, so she shouted a quick goodbye, not bothering to look up from the screen. It was most likely Louis.

Paul had a few SUVs waiting outside the hotel in case one of us needed their assistance. I hadn't used one the entire tour, but I was glad they were here now because I was crammed for time. The driver smiled at me and asked where I needed to go. I quickly recited the address that Paul had texted me this morning.

It only took about 10 minutes to get to the venue, for which I was extremely grateful for. By the time I was backstage it was almost 2:50.

"Blimey Callista! We thought we'd have to send a search party after you! It's about time you showed up," Sandy complained.

"Sorry guys! Lost track of time. It won't happen again," I apologized. I found my ear pieces on the mic table and quickly shoved them in my ears, moving them around a little to make sure they were comfortable.

The last person I wanted to see decided to make an appearance three minutes before we had to go on for Soundcheck, "Where'd you run off to?" Niall asked.

I shrugged, "Eleanor texted and me and asked if I wanted to shop for a little bit before the show."

Niall raised his eyebrows skeptically, "Listen, if it was about the answer to the relation-"

"Save it Niall, we don't have time to talk about it right now. Why don't we discuss when you know whether or not you're dating Caroline," I spat.

Luckily the stage manager was shouting at the backing band to get on stage and start warming up. I thanked God for making the timing so perfect and ran out on stage, a fake smile plastered on my face. Yes, I was happy to be performing again, but I wasn't in the best of moods today.

As soon as I was signaled to start playing the opening song, nothing else seemed to matter. I momentarily forgot about how ticked off at Niall I was, I forgot about everything that Eleanor had told me today, it was like all of my worries were gone. The music had completely taken over my body.

After playing the intro for a good 30 seconds, the guys ran on stage and the lucky 100 or so girls who had gotten VIP began to scream. It was crazy to see the happiness five foreign guys brought to the teen girls sitting in front of the them. Before going on this tour, I had never seen so many happy people all crammed in one room. Tears were even on the brim of some girls eyes.

As quickly as the Soundcheck had started for the backing band and I, it was over. We waved to the girls before running off of the stage. Like every other show, we congratulated each other on a good sound check. Normally., we exchanged those "bro hugs" that guys do when greeting each other. This time, Sandy, Dan, and Jon engulfed me in big bear hugs.

"Girl drummers are wicked awesome," Sandy said, smiling like the Cheshire cat.

"I'm aware that I'm wicked awesome, no need to boost my ego anymore than it is," I laughed.

I left them to their manly discussions to find Lou, hoping she'd be able to fix my hair and makeup for tonight. Luckily for me, the stylist room was not hard to find, and since the guys were currently doing their meet and greet, Lou wasn't doing anything so she was willing to help me. 

After she finished working her styling magic, I stuck around to talk with her for a while. We had never really had a formal conversation before, so getting to know another girl on the tour was really cool. 

We had to have been talking for a good hour or so, because the guys burst into the dressing room, talking animatedly about the fans that they met at the sound check.

"I was about ready to kidnap that little girl and bring her on tour with me as my personal friend. She was SO adorable!" Louis gushed.

Harry shook his head, "Thats really creepy, Louis. You sound like a pedophile.." 

"SHE WAS SO CUTE!" Louis shouted, throwing himself onto the couch.

"Hi Lou!" They all chorused after Lou had awkwardly cleared her throat. They turned and looked towards me, "Hi Callista!" They cheered in unison again, all but one.

"Can I talk to you outside the room, 'Lista?" Niall asked quietly. The way he said "Lista" made my heart swoon, making it impossible to say no. 

"USE PROTECTION CHILDREN!" Louis shouted at us as we walked out the door.

I didn't bother turning around to look at him, opting to just stick my hand out behind me and flip him off. Even from outside of the room, with the door shut, and being about ten steps away, I could still hear them all laughing and making fun of Louis.

"Look Callista," Niall began, using my full name instead of the nickname he always called me, "I didn't think you'd get so upset over my answer."

I sighed, "That's the thing Niall, you didn't think at all. Now people are going to think you and Caroline are still dating and if I'm ever seen alone with you, I'm automatically a home wrecker."

Niall scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "You see, the thing is.." he stopped abruptly, not saying anything.

"What, Niall? What is the thing?" I was growing impatient.

"IneveractuallybrokeitoffwithCaroline" He said quickly, his words all slurred together. I didn't catch everything he said, but never, broke, off, and Caroline all were said loud and clear.

"Just fucking peachy. Fucking. Peachy." I seethed threw my teeth. I couldn't look him in the eye, "Where is she now? Coming up to join us soon? Back in LA?"

Niall stood there,  a guilty look on her face, "She flew back home to work something's out with her parents and her job. She wanted to join us for the rest of the tour."

I finally had the courage to look him in the eye, shooting death glares his way, "You really know how to make a girl feel worthless, don't you Niall? I had the biggest fucking crush on you throughout this entire tour and I was so excited and thought you were finally mine. You made me feel so fucking special. Good things don't happen to girls like me, though. You went in blew it. Congratulations, Niall! You made me think you weren't like every other fucking prick on this planet."

I didn't wait for a response, I stormed off to find the green room.  I wasn't going to let him and his idiotic ways affect me anymore. Had this been a few days ago, I would have been back on another plane flying home. 

Not anymore. I made a mark for myself in this so called "One Direction Family," and I wasn't allowing myself to leave this soon again.

This wasn't my last dance, I was just getting started.
♠ ♠ ♠
Holla at me! First iPad update woot woot! So if I didn't catch any mistakes, please let me know.

In all seriousness, I go back to school tomorrow. I'm not sure when my teachers will start throwing homework my way, so I'm not sure if daily updates are in the cards.

Once I figure out an updating schedule, I will let you know. Updates will also be a lot longer then.

Chapter title credit: The Fighter (Cover)- Paradise Fears (Original lyrics courtesy of Samuel Miller)

Until next time (If I don't die at school), Sydney