‹ Prequel: Walking Contradictions

When It All Goes Wrong Again

Wedding

“Think it’s too late to steal the car and run away?” Brad asked, leaning against the kitchen counter and looking out the small window. There was about to be a wedding held in their backyard for their father’s second marriage to his pregnant fiancé. “He should learn from his mistakes,”

“Yeah well its dad so what the hell do you expect?” Anna sighed, walking from the den into the kitchen. “I hate wearing dresses,” She groaned, looking down at the knee-length purple cotton dress she was being forced to wear. “If we hold a protest can we stop this from happening?”

“No,” Their father smiled as he came into the kitchen in a suit and tie. “now put on your shoes and let’s get this thing rolling.”

Brad and Anna shot their father a ‘yeah right’ look.

“Now, both of you.” Thomas persisted. When his children had gone trudging upstairs to finish getting ready, he opened the fridge and pulled out a pre-poured glass of red wine, quickly taking it down in one hit. “You can do this,” He told himself, trying to steady his shaking hands. “This won’t be like with Kendra. Everything is going to be just fine.” There was a gasp that came from the laundry room that made him turn his head.

“You’re supposed to be out there already,” Cindy said, quickly running into the dining room and pushing the swinging door shut.

“Blame Brad and Anna,” Thomas smirked. “Kids! Let’s go!”

In true Anderson sibling fashion, Brad and Anna came thumping down stairs singing Wade in the Water loudly as they marched outside against their will. As the two siblings stood at the altar with their father, Anna and her Uncle Mike exchanged messages through sign language. When he arrived a week earlier, he had taken it upon himself to teach her what he believed were necessary signs.

‘Help me’ Anna signed.

‘You’re fine’ her uncle signed back.

‘No I’m not. Suicide.’ Anna sighed, putting her fingers like a gun to the side of her head and pulling the imaginary trigger.

“Knock it off,” Her father growled back to her.

“Oh you’re no fun,” Mike smirked up at his older brother.

Thomas simply replied by flipping his brother off.

“Charming,” Their mother sighed.

“Oh this is gonna be a great wedding video,” Lacey smirked from the back row, panning around with her video camera.

Thomas sighed and looked at Oz. “Why can’t you be up here with me?”

Oz rolled his eyes and pointed to his right ankle, which was wrapped up. “Remember that suit case you conveniently left lying by the door that I tripped over?”

“I said I was sorry,”

“I’m still convinced you were trying to assassinate me,” Oz scoffed playfully, “so the munchkins will have to work.”

The priest came out the back door and joined Thomas and his children at the altar. He gave him a knowing smile. “Nervous?”

“Sweating like a whore in church,” He gave a weak smile and took a deep breath.

“Relax, everything’s going to be fine,” The priest smiled.

The back door opened again and Cindy slowly stepped out and walked down the back steps in her cream colored dress her soon-to-be mother in law had loaned her. She was seven months pregnant with their first child together and was glowing with her hair and makeup perfect.

Brad and Anna sighed and reluctantly starting singing The Lights Before We Land as they had been instructed as Cindy glided towards them. Anna resisted the strong urge to randomly start rapping Straight Outta Compton just for kicks, but for today alone she behaved herself for her father’s sake.

Cindy stood across from Thomas and they held hands and smiled at each other, trying not to pass out and back down from this huge commitment.

“You look beautiful, baby,” Thomas smiled, stunned at his bride’s beauty.

“Ladies and gentleme-“ The priest began but quickly stopped as a car came swerving into the driveway and slammed to a stop. Two doors opened and the yelling soon started.

“You always get us lost!” Sam yelled, slamming the driver’s door.

“Oh please, you can’t ever follow my directions!” Sarah yelled back, slamming the passenger side door.

"If I followed your directions, we'd be halfway to Mordor by now," Sam exclaimed.

“Thanks guys,” Cindy sighed, “you’re just on time.”

“Sorry,” Sam sighed, taking his seat in the second row behind Mike.

“Go Thomas,” Sarah cheered, sitting beside Sam.

“Shall I start from the top?” The priest smiled. “Deep breaths, ready?”

While the reception went on inside, Anna, Brad, Seb, and Izzy all stood out in the driveway, passing a joint and glass of wine around amongst themselves.

“This is fucking terrible,” Brad sighed, blowing smoke up in the air. “she’s our step mom now. We’re stuck with her.”

“We don’t have to like it,” Anna sighed, “we don’t have to like her at all. I’m getting out of here so quick.”

“You guys will make the best of it,” Izzy smiled, passing her brother the joint, “you guys always do.”

“Babe what do you think of this dress?” Anna asked, doing a turn for her boyfriend to take in her outfit.

“It’s cute babe. It’s very you,” Seb smiled, holding her waist and kissing her cheek.

“Anna? Brad?” Mike called from the backdoor, stepping out on the back porch.

“Shit,” Izzy whispered as she grabbed her brother and they ran away from the scene back to their yard and into their house.

“Hey Uncle Mike,” Brad said, quickly tossing the wine glass and extinguished joint into the bushes before coming around the corner and faking a smile. “we were just getting some air. Kind of a lot to process at once.”

“I hear ya, kid. I’m just making sure you two are still around. Don’t want you running off and leaving me with these idiots,” Their uncle winked, coming down the stairs and looking around. “What’s so cool out here anyway? Looks like a bunch of gravel and grass to me.”

“Human Frogger,” Anna smirked, referring to the busy Queen Street that went in front of their house. “What’s so cool in there?”

“Well I just watched your dad and Cindy dance badly to California Girls,” Mike laughed, “and don’t worry, it’ll be on the wedding tape for you to watch again and again.”

“Speaking of California,” Brad mumbled, “will you and grandma take us back with you? We hate it here.”

“But you have the neighbor kids you’re both dating. They’d be lost without you two. Plus, they’re farther from home then you guys are.”

“A teenage bride with a baby inside getting high on information,” Anna sang softly to herself, off in her own world. “And buy me a star on the boulevard, it’s Californication.”

“Space may be the final frontier but it’s made in a Hollywood basement,” Brad continued, a bit louder than his sister. “And Cobain can you hear the spheres singing songs off station to station.”

“And Alderson’s not far away, it’s Californication,” Mike finished with a smile. “I love you guys.” He paused. “Do you smell weed?”