Status: Active

The Gate Keeper

Chapter Two

There’s something about the night that drew me in, maybe it was the romantic feel of the darkness or tall light posts that showed us the way through the pitch black, I was fidgeting in the passenger seat of Alfred’s all black Jaguar XK120. I was still unconvinced that I had received consent from my parents to attend Alfred’s acquaintances fiasco. He had the top down letting my hair wave behind me, sometimes getting in my face making me tuck the hair behind my ear with a trembling hand. I heard Alfred whistling and it made me a bit calm too hear he was so sure of the situation. I let my shoulders drop and began to leave my worries behind, flying away with the wind that so softly whispered in my ears.
I graced my hands over the soft material of my dark blue fitted gown; the top which covered my chest, arms and my whole back was black lace and although I always heard your chest should never be revealed in the cold for it could cause severe pneumonia, I did not care. I felt strange for I had not picked this dress out, Alfred had, saying how it would look phenomenal on my pale skin. I did not care much about what I wore but I did want to make a good impression on Alfred’s friends, therefore I bathed for longer than I had ever before and I perfumed myself over and over, letting it dry and then beginning again. The corset under the dress I wore was made of whalebone. My mother had walked into my dormitory when I had finished bathing and told me I was to wear it. She suggested I turned and fastened the corset so tight I could barely breathe, my lips were in such a protruded state from my biting on them as Victoria fastened the knots that it seemed as if I was wearing scarlet lipstick. I tried not to cry out as she tightened tighter again and again. When she was finished she turned me around and examined me with a careful eye,

“At least this will hide that potbelly”

She turned and walked out of the room, leaving me to my own dismay. I did not care much about her insults, I was used to them after all and after time it began to feel as if that was her own way of caring, by bringing me down.
Alfred came to a halt when we reached some excessively tall black gates which surrounded an incredibly lively Palace, I could not call it anything else for it was enormous. Two men waited outside the gates, in full dress uniforms consisting of a black tunic with white leather buff belt and a bearskin hat, as well as a badge with an emblem of a snake that differences the guard’s uniform from the Queens guards. It is also distinguished from others by the singularly spaced buttons running down the middle. The collar sported a snake pin and a white plume was visible on the right side of the hat. Alfred produced a forest green invitation from the pocket of his black slacks and waved it to the guards.

“You may proceed with caution” said the one with a full beard, signalizing for the gates to be opened.

Alfred started the car once again, and I began to feel nervous after we passed the black gates to follow our destination; which was the dark manor. I admired the vast garden, surrounding a dark lake and as we drove by it I could see in the water a pale girl staring back at me, wide eyed and anxious. The air smelled of freshly cut grass and flowers, which were everywhere; a red rose garden. We stopped once again when we reached the front curve that led to front of the manor. I realized we were not the only one who were just arriving, in fact a fairly short man was opening the passenger door and letting a tall blonde woman step out and as she took hold of his hand he gave one of the guards the okay to take the car away, except this guard was not wearing one those ridiculous bearskin hats. Another of the guards or valets went around the car, at that instant Alfred was already taking off his seat belt, the valet which had a very French look to him reluctantly opened the door for Alfred to step out,

“Welcome to the Bellheim Palace” said the valet with so much grace you would think it was the royal palace,

Before long I noticed my door being opened and hesitantly I took Alfred’s hand which was stretched out just as the short man I had seen before had done for his companion.
When I walked inside the Chateau another man greeted us, but instead of a uniform he was dressed in an all-black suit similar to a butler’s attire.

“So pleasant to see you Sir Alfred. May I take your coats?”

They man spoke in a thick Austrian accent, I turned and felt Alfred’s hand glide my thick coat off my shoulders making me feel as if I had lost twenty pounds. The butler also took Alfred’s coat and carried them to a room beside us; soon he was back and empty handed.

"Please follow me into the music room; The master is soon to be expected””

I knew my brother could feel me shivering because held me closer and squeezed my arm tight for a single second.
We walked carefully through a corridor made of black linoleum, keeping close to the butler; not too close yet not too far. I noticed the statues lined one after another on Alfred’s side, they were gargoyles with such a contorted and menacing look it sent shivers down my spine. Above me the corridor was lit by gilded lanterns and as I glanced forward I noticed that it was such a long corridor I wondered if it ended at all. The architecture was so dark and intimidating it drew you in, making you wonder what mysteries laid ahead. On my right there was chamber after chamber. A wide elegant black Victorian door, on each top corner a snake was carved and when you noticed the door knob you realized it was golden python. I began to think that this “Master” might have an affiliation with this reptile.

The butler came to a halt right in front of similar Victorian doors, yet these were opened and much larger and wider. The sweet melody of “Nocturne by Chopin” and laughter roamed the air, and as I looked inside I realized the room was quite spacious.
Decorated by two 19th century mahogany sofas in forest green with floral patterns of a lighter color rested in the middle of the room. On one of the sofas sat a large woman wearing a REX fox fur around her neck, sipping a glass of wine and conversing with another woman beside her who’s eyes were so protruded it almost seem as if they would pop out any minute. Opposite to them sitting in a gentleman’s chair a young man with fiery red hair was trying to light a cigar, beside him on another gentleman’s chair coursed with the richest upholstery I’d ever seen sat the short fellow I had seen helping out the blonde from the car, he was laughing with the women in front of him. Behind one of the sofas laid a wide Baldwin Piano in which a young brunette played the melody which I knew so dearly, her hair held up in a bun which was wrapped around a braid and her eyes lowered to her moving fingers. In the back walls there were two wide windows semi-covered by curtains the same forest green as the furniture giving the guests the most serene view of the forest. Not to mention the room was softly lit by a large chandelier which hung above the large piano. I also noticed the extensive fireplace in which the same blonde from the car was leaning against with a glass of wine on her hand; she was conversing with a man whom I think was in his mid-forties, his hair was rooted gray and he also had a cigar in his hand, taking hard drags on it once in a while.
The butler beside us bowed and walked the way we had previously come from. We entered the room tacitly, but as soon as we were in all eyes were on us,

“Alfred dear!” the large woman with the fur around her neck joyfully hollered.

Alfred let go of my arm and went to greet the woman, also greeting the one beside her and the men in front of them. I was all thumbs, standing in the entrance of the room not knowing what to do.
“This is my sister Emilia”
He turned and waltz towards me, taking long strides until he reached me and placed his hand in the small of my back beneath the black bow and pushed me forward. I walked in the direction of the women sitting down and curtsied, the large woman who’s name I found out later was Cornelia stood in front of me and kissed both of my cheeks placing both hands on my shoulders and continuously saying how it was a pleasure to meet me, and how much she had heard of me.

“All good things of course”

She introduced me to the woman beside her who implied her name was Madam Leboufont but I was to call her Penelope. Then it was the young red haired man whose name I kept repeating because I could not get it right,

“Goddard, but if it’s too difficult you can call me Go. Most of my friends do anyways” he smiled, took my hand and softly kissed my knuckles.

I did not call him Go though, I was intent in saying his name just right because I did not feel as if it was polite, even though he did not mind and kept helping me pronounce it the right way. Then it was the short man beside him, Arthur and his wife Madeline the blonde, who was not to be taken lightly for she was very straight forward. After them it was the gray haired man, Isaiah who was the least bit talkative and last but not least the young woman on the piano.

“Em this is Grace, my fiancé”

My brother Alfred said while wrapping his arms around the woman who had stopped playing the piano and was facing me. My eyes were wide with confusion, fiancé? I was unaware and truthfully disturbed. We shared everything yet I had no clue that he was too be wedded.

She smiled at me and took my hand, softly mouthing,

“How do you do, Emilia ? It’s so great to finally meet you”

I could not utter a single word for I was dumbfounded; Alfred whispered in her ear something along the lines of ‘shock.’ I believed shocked was the right word to describe my situation. I forced a small “Hello” and was thankful for the interruption of the butler tapping a fork lightly on a wine glass.
“Ladies and Gentleman, Master James has arrived” I could not bear to take my eyes off of Alfred, who disregarded my piercing stare just too look at who ever this terribly disturbed snake lover was.
All of a sudden I felt the room go completely quiet, all I could hear was the burning wood in the fireplace and hard footsteps on the linoleum floor. A manly yet husky voice finally spoke, it was not a voice I was acquainted with,

“Glad you all could all make it”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know its slow, I just took so much time with the details but I promise it will be worth it.