Status: Complete

The Dreaming Smile Above the Skin

Just A Smile

And just like that, it was back to the same picture: the white atmosphere, the mute sound of birds, hanging willows, and that coffee shop. The same one I always went to every Saturday. Sitting in the rocking chair outside of the coffee shop would be the same man. His hair a dark brown; his eyes, deep as the chocolate sea. Those lips, big and pink. A smile rises upon his lips almost every time I think he sees me staring from a distance. And to think, even in a dream, it would be so difficult to walk up to him and just say 'Hello'. Each time I'd wake from the dream, I'd feel like a giant gap had been eroding through me. Tonight, at least for this dream, it was different.
I take careful steps toward him. Each step feeling like I was walking through water.
As I finally walk up to him, I let the word "Hello" pass from my lips.
He giggles perfectly, almost too perfect.
"Hello." He says, looking into my eyes.
That never ending smile just gleams. The way his eyes almost twinkle. And at that moment I feel something deep in my chest... about this mystery man. Was it love? Could it have been? And yet it was only a dream.
I then wake from the sun shining through my window. I stretch briefly as I get up and walk to the kitchen to make coffee.
Spending the majority of the day lounging around and playing songs on guitar. The time virtually slips by before I remember it was Saturday. As soon as I slip on my jacket and comfortable shoes, I make my way down to the coffee shop.
I sit outside the shop today; with me, the book entitled 'Stranger Than Fiction'. The temperature, I thought, was quite lovely this season.
Just as I was beginning to take in the sounds of the birds chirping a tune, I could hear someone talking on the phone as they pass me.
"No, I can totally get that into you by Friday." The voice says.
First off, I could tell it was a man. I then hear a chair pull up to the table right by mine. Then again, when was it ever that peaceful to read outside in a public place? It was quite strange, though. I couldn't help but listen to this man's voice. It was awkwardly intoxicating to say the least. I still didn't look up from my book. I only listened still, very intently.
"Oh and tell Rick I said 'hello'. Thanks!"
I freeze. The hello that passed from his lips. Why did it sound so familiar? It was now silent from the table this guy was sitting at. Maybe I was going crazy, I mean as if this could be anyone, in which it could. I was curious, though. I then lift my head from my book... and just like that... time freezes. The dark brown hair, the eyes, the lips. It was the man from my dreams.
I look back at my book quick; scared. Why was I scared? Because I had never seen this man before in all of my life. I always thought he was just a picture in my head... but I was wrong. The man from my dreams was sitting right there. I have the strong urge to talk to him. I have the even stronger urge to become friends with him. And to think I felt love in my dream. Just from a smile. How ridiculous. I go back to reading.
And just like that... my dream is coming true.
"Hey, is that book by Chuck Palahniuk? He's my favorite author!" He says.
I jump, a little surprised, as I turn around to see him standing behind me.
"Oh, sorry if I broke you from your concentration." He says.
"It's okay." I say as I give off a friendly smile. I then, quickly, go back to reading my book.
He then pulls up a chair at the same table I was at, but across from me.
Trying not to be awkward as the raging butterflies pinch at my sides, I say, "So you read books by him too?" Let me remind you, making eye contact was out of the question.
"Yeah honestly I haven't met many people who do."
"Oh." I say, still looking at the book. I'm not even reading.
"Um, sorry if I bugged you or anything." He says a bit quiet.
"No, it's okay." I finally look in his eyes. Bam, just like that, there was the smile. That too perfect smile.
His smile grows wider as he says, "My name's Brendon." He sticks out his hand.
"Ryan." I say back as I reach out to shake his hand. As I do, I feel instant static between us. Call me a hopeless romantic, but there was a spark.
"Nice to meet you." He says back, still with that perfect smile.
"Nice to meet you too." I say.
As soon as we stop shaking hands, he looks down at his watch.
"Op, gotta catch the next bus." He gets up from his seat, "Nice talking with you." He flashes me another smile.
Quickly, I get out, "Um, if you were want to talk again, I come here every Saturday." Okay maybe that sounds a little desperate.
"Cool, yeah I would love to talk again sometime." Another smile draws on his lips before he starts to leave.
I then just sit there, barely moving, a smile plastered on my face. Dreams do come true.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY A NEW STORY. I wrote this story for a friend based off of her idea!!!!!! I have the majority of this story written in my notebook. So basically I'm re-writing it all online! And finishing the rest of it online. Hope you like this!!!! PLEASE SUBSCRIBE!!!! Unless you think my writing sucks... which is reasonable. BUT ANYWAY IT WOULD BE REALLY COOL IF YOU LIKE THIS STORY. 60+ pages written by hand. Love me? :3