Status: Complete

The Dreaming Smile Above the Skin

Second Time's The Charm

It almost took forever for the week to go by. When we talk to each other again I will hopefully get his number... and maybe his address. Okay that was probably over thinking it.
As soon as I get to the coffee shop that evening, I sit in the exact same spot as last time. I'm nervously waiting for his arrival, foot tapping; fingers fidgeting. There's a reason why I'm so damn nervous: I am going to see the man of my dreams for the second time in real life. It has been a good twenty minutes until I hear running footsteps and a tired looking Brendon come up to me.
"Sorry I'm late." He says as he puts his hands on the table. He takes a minute to catch his breath.
Then I see something on his arm. It seems to be a band-aid, more or less a cotton ball with some tape. I didn't see it last week, then again it has been a whole week. I've just met him anyway, there's no point in asking personal questions.
"It's alright." I say.
"Yeah I just had to get a shot from the doctor's... as you can see." He holds out his arm.
"Mmhm," I start to say, "for what?"
"I dunno, just one of those shots to get me to be immune to something."
"Oh. Um, how was your week?"
"It was pretty good. I work at a local music store a few blocks away from here. I get my weekends off. On Wednesday I got a raise, so I took the liberty of buying some albums. So what about you?" He says as he takes a seat across from me again.
"Nothing much really. Just spending my days on guitar."
"That's cool! I play a little myself. So... you don't do much, huh?"
"Well I was recently working at this dog kennel, but I turned it down. Honestly, after a while, I couldn't handle the smell anymore."
Brendon laughs and my heart practically skips a beat. I can't resist that smile.
"I bet. So you don't currently have a job?"
"No, but I have enough money to keep me stable."
"Oh, well if you ever want to get working again, I could try to hook you up for a job at the record store."
I almost freeze with the fact that he was actually offering me to work with him. Yep, we were friends.
"Oh, yeah I'll put that into consideration." I say.
"Awesome!"
For the rest of the evening we ask questions about each other. It was great knowing more about him.
By the time we say our goodbyes, I almost forget to mention the phone number thing.
"Hey Brendon, what's your number? We could keep in touch easier that way."
"Oh yeah sure, um..." He looks frantically around for a piece of paper and something to write with.
"It's cool, you can just plug it into my phone." I tell him.
"Oh of course." He giggles, "Thanks for that."
I open up my 'Contacts' section and click 'Add New'. I then hand the phone to him.
"Okay." He says as he hands the phone back to me.
In this second, I feel his fingers brush against mine.
I put the phone away rather quickly to hide my goose bumps.
"Yeah if you just text me, I can get your number, so." He says.
"Alright." I say back before he flashes me a sweet smile as he starts walking back down the street.
After these few times of meeting each other, I never understood why we never said goodbye to one another. His goodbye was really just a smile. My goodbye was just the same: a smile. Maybe that was a goodbye in a sense. As soon as I get home, I text him:
"Hey it's Ryan from the coffee shop." Keeping it simple only because if I put smiles and exclamation points, he might just think I'm strange.
Almost instantly, he replies back: "Hey :)"
Would it be weird if I say that made my heart skip a beat? Then again, he did always smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heck yeah they is total friends now :3. SUPER SHORT but i think most of this story will have short chapters. I hate fillers but I try. Lol.