Status: Complete

The Dreaming Smile Above the Skin

Fireworks and Hurricans

It's been a week and I surely got the hang of doing this. I still could never get used to Brendon's sweet smile each time I hand him a box of CD's.
Today, however, I didn't have to do much. There were no new shipments coming in; not many customers-
It was quiet...
I sit in one of the chairs in the music 'Browsing' section. There I listen to the album Kid A by Radiohead. After listening to it half way through, I decide to at least find something to do.
I walk up to Jason:
"When's the new shipment of CD's coming in?"
"Not for another 2 weeks max."
"Alright." I say. I sigh, then proceed to walk around the store... bored as hell.
"Hey Ryan! Can you come over here for a sec?" Brendon shouts from the back.
"Sure." I call back to him.
I make my way to the storage room to find Brendon attempting to reach something. He then stops to look at me for a second.
"Can you grab the soundtracks off the 3rd shelf there?"
"Sure." I say. And of course I can do it easily since I am taller than him.
I hold the box in my hands and ask, "Are we bringing these into the shop?"
"Yeah, but before you do..." He takes the box, puts it to the side, and comes closer to me. Raging swarms of butterflies fill my stomach and I can't move, can't breathe, can't think. He closes the gap between our lips. My mind is racing, this has to be a dream. But his lips... his warm; soft lips. My eyes flutter shut and everything melts, but then his lips remove from mine. I stand there, almost flabbergasted; with my mouth a gap.
I don't look at him the same. His cheeks blush a bright red; his fingers run through his hair. He lets out a small smile and shakes his head. He looks away from me. I still can't function.
"Ryan, I-I'm sorry. I-I really just-I.... I-I mean, that was, just. Sorry, sorry I should go."
Before he turns to leave, I grab his arm: an instant reaction. And just like that, I pull him into me. My arms flail around his back. My head rests on his shoulder and I am happy. So happy, that tears sprout from my eyes. He feels tense at first, possibly surprised, but I just can't believe it.
"Ryan, I-"
"I love you." I say. And those are the only words I can get out.
"Love you too." He whispers in my ear.
After another minute or so, we finally release from each other.
"I never would have thought it would be this easy." Brendon says. I laugh a little.
"I would have never thought so either." I say, this time, I'm finally relaxed. I give him a smile.
He brings me in for another hug and whispers, "Let's get outta here. I mean, we aren't busy anyway."
"Yeah. To where?"
"Your place."
"Okay." And with that we head out of the shop to my house.
We both take our separate cars, but as soon as we end up inside the house with the door shut, Brendon instantly wraps his arms around me. He buries his face into my neck. I run my fingers up and down his back.
Everything's perfect.
"Love at first sight?" I ask Brendon.
"What can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic." He then backs up from me.
He looks more serious now.
"Sorry if I'm rushing things between us."
"No, no it's fine. You don't know how long I've waited for you."
"Really?"
"Yeah. C'mon, I'll tell you." I swing out my hand for him to take it. He does, and even with a small thing like that, it warms my heart.
I then lead him to my bedroom and tell him the whole story of how he was the man of my dreams. He deserves to know, and why keep it a secret?
"So I looked exactly like this in your dreams?"
"Yes. Maybe you think I'm crazy, but it's true."
"And it was that same coffee shop?"
"Yes, yes. You must really think I'm crazy."
"No... I just can't believe it."
And with that, he rests his head on my shoulder. And to think of how desperate he was to get to me. Now that was a totally different story I hope to hear.
"So how'd you fall for me?" I ask, because really, what could we hide from each other now?
I can feel him snuggle into my shoulder, "Where to start..." he says as he gets out a small giggle.
"When you first had feelings for me." I say. I can't help but laugh a little myself.
"Probably when you decided to come into the shop and work with me. That next morning was my first time feeling butterflies around you."
"Really?" I say in disbelief, only because I've never seen him nervous around me before.
"Yes really. My internal emotions don't blatantly show themselves that easily, but I'm openly affectionate."
"So that kiss?"
"That actually meant something. I would never blatantly kiss a friend just because we're close."
"But you told me I was one of the first people to not push you away."
I could hear him sigh and readjust his head on my shoulder, "Let's just say last time I tried to make a move like that on a guy, I almost got my skull crushed into my brain."
"Damn." I say.
"Yeah but whatever. I didn't know he was a homophobe."
"Well that's pretty unfortunate."
"Yeah so I tried to stop myself for a year or so."
It's quiet for a second before I ask, "What drove you to make that move on me?"
"I don't know. You're different. You just seemed more vulnerable, more innocent; sweet."
I stay quiet, taking in the 'more vulnerable' part. I don't want the memories to succumb to me again, but a deep sense of disappointment washes over me. Oh how I wish I wasn't so vulnerable.
I feel his head rise from my shoulder.
"Ry?" He says, almost in a concerned voice.
I turn to look at him. I still don't say a word. Maybe he could read me somehow. I look away. His perfect face drowning in anything but a smile always somehow made me nervous. I could feel his hand with his light fingers bring my chin up to look back in my eyes. I don't resist if he wants me to.
"You're perfect." He tells me. I can see that smile rise on his lips. I catch it almost instantly.
His smile grows even wider as he sees the small lift on my lips. He pulls me in for a soft kiss and somehow... I forget why I feel as though I want to cry.
♠ ♠ ♠
How To Disappear Completely by Radiohead is where I got the title. Off the album Kid A of course. AW YAY FINALLY TOGETHER <3 SO CUTE. And isnt that interesting how Brendon is involuntarily bringing up Ryan's past. Hmmm think those memories will keep being brought up? Stick around people.