Status: One shot

Make a Wish

Make A Wish

“-So, she is qualified to get the wish, right?” My mother asked the doctor. I had only been paying attention to half of what they were saying. I was too far gone in my own head to really pay attention to what someone was saying. It also probably didn't help that I didn't care to much about the conversation that was taking place. I picked up bits and pieces from when I entered reality every now and then.

As of right now, my perky mother was discussing the rules and qualifications it takes to be in the Make-A-Wish foundation. Although I never really agreed to the idea, she was sold on it. I disliked the doctor who brought up the damn idea in the first place. I felt wasteful knowing I had this wish that I could pretty much do anything with. I could go to Disneyland, meet any celebrity I wanted too, go to France for a day-anything! Yet, I couldn't think of a damn thing I really wanted. I was never a huge music fan, nor did I really care to meet any famous people. Plus, Disneyland was as exciting as getting a shot. The only thing that seemed mildly interesting was Sea World. Maybe I could hang out with some dolphins.

That would be nice.

“Amelia, have you decided?” My mother asked me, the doctor also staring at me.

“Uh-” I responded stupidly. I looked over my mothers worn out, brown eyes and her flat blonde hair. She had major bags under her eyes from stress and the wrinkled were starting to form. “No.”

“You need to pick something honey. It can't be that hard to choose. What's something you always wanted? Someone who you always wanted to meet?”

“I don't know! Why are you pressuring me into this? I thought you said I could take my time deciding my final wish? I'm not dead yet. Hell, I don't get Chemo until next week. I'll have something to wish for soon enough. I can't just pick something right now. What if I regret it?” My mother just sighed and turned back to the doctor.

“I'll see you Friday, Lisa.” She said getting up and motioning for me to follow. I stood up and dragged my feet across the tile as I walked out of the room and out of the hospital. I never liked it in there. I wreaked of perfection. It's like they are trying to hard to cover up the stench of the dead. I cringe knowing I would be one of those dead people. I'd be one of the many young people of America (the world) to have fallen to cancer. I wasn't too pleased with dying but it was spreading to fast. I had a strong case of skeletal cancer that was chewing threw that marrow faster than normal cancer. I was diagnosed with the disease only a month ago after I passed out at home. The news was devastating to everyone who cared for me. I never really thought I would be treated differently but I was. I thought that only happened in movies or online stories. School was surprisingly easier and my brother never seemed to bother me anymore. It's almost silly thinking about it. News breaks out that you are going to die in a few months and everyone gives you pity. My family tried to spend every second they could with me. My friends at school stopped playing around and roughhousing me like they use to. They feared I was a fragile piece of glass. That was only partly true, though. I was weak but I wouldn't break that easily. The only one who didn't treat me so differently was my boyfriend Daniel. He seemed to take the news as bad as my family had. Although he wasn't as clingy and lovey as they had became, he was spaced out a lot. His kissed turned soft as if he feared he'd break my lips if he pressed to hard. His hugs lasted seconds longer then they should and were filled with so much emotion. The pressed my body to his firmly as if stating his dominance over me and the world, but also telling me that he cared for me in ways that others didn't. And, I loved that about him.

“Someone's waiting for you,” my mother sang as she turned off the car. My head snapped up as I looked out the window spotting the one and only just getting out of his car. I quickly scrambled to get my seat belt off as I swung open the door and leaped out. I nearly slammed the door closed as I dashed over to my waiting boyfriend's arms. I hummed happily as I snuggled into him. The hugs I thought of minuets ago were now true and I never wanted to be released.

“Hey,” he mumbled into my damaged hair.

“Hi,” I grinned kissing his neck. He smiled as he stared down at me. I looked over his shaggy brown hair and large brown eyes. His skin was ivory and he had a perfect chin and fitting nose to match.

“I got a present for you.” He smiled letting me go so he could pull out a blindfold from his pocket. I gasp and cover my mouth.

“A blindfold! How did you know I always wanted one?” I ask and he grins, giving me a gentle shove.

“You're so funny, smart ass.” I lean in and peck his lips.

“Let me get my jacket then we can go, 'kay?” He nods and I pull him into my home before I dart up the stairs. I snatched a dark blue jacket from my closet before rushing back downstairs. “I'm going out with Dan!” I shout out to my family before dragging Dan out the door. The two of us walked hand in hand to the car, separating to get in the passenger and driver seat. Danny stared the car up and we both buckled up. Before we took off however Dan tossed me the blindfold and make sure I couldn't see a thing.

“I don't why you're making such a big deal about this. Are you going to drive me off a cliff?” I laugh fixing my hair while I still have it.

“It's a tempting idea, but I think I may miss you.” I could practically hear the smirk on his voice and I looked over at him and cock an eyebrow.

“Oh you do, huh? Well, how about I just take off the blindfold mister smart-pants.”

“Hey, come on, I'm kidding, Milly. No need to be a sour puss.” I stuck my tongue out at him and he chuckled, poking at it. “Keep that thing inside your mouth.”

“I know you want it other places.” I smirk and I knew his cheeks were bright red.

“Shut up,” victory...

The drive didn't last too long and that began to drive my curiosity mad. I sat and waited as Dan turned off the car and got out of his seat. I fiddled my thumbs as he opened up my door and unbuckled me. I let him get me out of the car and threatened him a few time to make sure he didn't try any funny business. When I hear him lock the car and return to my side, he rested a hand on the blindfold.

“Ready?”

“Get it off!” I grin and he tore it away. I squinted against the suns harmful rays until I saw where we were. I blinked a few more times before I gasped.

“Happy?” He asked and I latched onto his arm and dragged him to the destination.

The aquarium! He took me to the local aquarium! I grinned like a mad man as I ran up to the building willing to shove any child out of my way to get in line. He knew I loved coming here. My dream job was to be a marine biologist. That would never come true now but that didn't discourage my love for these fish.

“Oh my god! Really? You're taking me here?” I asked feeling as if I would explode with happiness.

“Yea, I've been saving up for it.” He smiled as we stepped up to the administration. Danny paid the forty-five dollars and seventy eight cents for the tickets and I rewarded him with a loving kiss and a promise for snuggling later. As soon as we stepped inside the cool building I was off like a race horse. I dragged the best damn boyfriend in the whole world to the nearest tank and looked inside. I let out a girlish squeal as I looked over the small pink and red crabs.

“Aren't they adorable!!!” I gushed before getting distracted by a much larger tank. “Look at that!” I laced my hand with Daniel's before walking over to the glass wall.

I walked my boyfriend to every tank and explained to him what each fish was and how special was it. There were many I didn't know but I still acted as if I new a little about them by reading the small information box. After exploring the whole first room Dan pointed to the hallway.

“Go in there, I'll take your picture.” I skipped off to passage way that had a glass ceiling and walls so you could watch the fish swim over your head. I gawked as a small lemon shark swam by. I waited for two women with strollers and toddlers by their side to leave before I turned to face Danny. I spread my arms out and my legs were equally as far apart. The stupidest grin was plastered on my face and it only grew as he took a picture of his camera. He smiled down at it before returning to my side.

“I want to get one of the us both.” He said before poking a woman on her shoulder. “Excuse me, do you mind taking a picture of us?” The brown hair woman smiled and nodded. Dan returned to my side and wrapped his arm around my waist, holding me against his protectively and lovingly. I smiled as Dan leaned in and kissed my cheek. I giggled scrunching up my face where he kissed and the woman took the picture. She handed back the camera with a happy smile.

“You two are adorable,” She said. We both blushed and thanked her for taking the picture. The rest of the time was spent with us quietly talking to each other. I occasionally got out of hand when I spotted some sea turtle and jelly fish, but other than that it was nice. We both settled down on a bench that sat right in from of a giant glass wall that contained fish, turtles, sharks, eels, and so much more.

“Have you made your wish yet?” Dan asked me and I shook my head.

“No, but I'm thinking Sea World.” I said and he snorted. I looked up at him and he smiled down at me.

“You gonna go sea Shamu?”

“Yea, maybe hang out with his dolphin cousins. But, I'm not sure. Mom's pressuring me into picking before it's too late.” I said and Daniel's mood seemed to drop instantly at the words. “Maybe I could do something for you.” I said feeling suddenly chocked up. This happened very often. Something would just snap inside of me letting me know that this was the last time I would be able to do this. “I could ask for Green Day to come or some other band you like. You-you could m-meet 'em with me and be h-” My words stopped as a soft sobbed escaped my lips and I buried my face in his chest. He wrapped his arms around me and rested his head on top of mine. I cried in Daniel's chest as he whispered gentle words in my ear and kissed my head, petting my hair like the way I liked it.

My time was limited. These last moments with Dan would be my last. We'd never go to the aquarium like this ever again. These pictures will be forever his, remembering me with the stupidest grin on my face as I get so fucking excited over fish. He'd look back at these pictures and know that I loved him but I was indeed gone. It was only a matter of time before I would be stuck in a hospital. My hair would be gone and tubes would have to feed me.

“I don't want to leave you.” I cried wrapping my arms around him and squeezing his tor so. I didn't give a damn about the people around us or if I was making a scene. I just wanted to be with Dan right now. I wanted his love and comfort and I knew nothing could stop me from getting that.

“I don't want you to leave either Mills,” Dan murmured in my ear. “I want you to be by my side forever and ever. I would do anything to keep you. You know I love you so much and I hate seeing you upset.” Dan's own voice sounded as if he was about to break down as well but I knew he'd stay strong for me. “You have to be one of those smiling patients though, alright? You have to go down and give cancer the middle finger.” I let a small laugh get mixed up in my sobs. “Can I get a smile from a pretty girl?” Daniel asked and I took a few deep breaths before managing up a small hint of a smile. He smiled down at me and he ran his thumb under my eyes, clearing away all the tears. He kissed my cheek, collecting the final salty tear in the tender affection.

“All better?” He asked his thumb running over my cheeks gently.

“All better,” I whispered and he kissed me one last time of the mouth before helping me up.

“Want me to get you something at the gift shop?” He asks as I snuggle into his side.

“How much money do you have on you? This must be your whole college fund your spending.” I joke and he lets out a small laugh.

“I have enough to get my little fish loving girlfriend a stuffed toy and a dollar burger at Mcdonalds.” I giggle at his comment as we enter the gift shop. We both browsed the plush toys debating on what to buy. Dan looked over at the dolphin and spotted something. He nudged me as he reached out and grabbed an Arctic seal with a dolphin costume over it. The toy was about a foot long and I fell in love with it. Dan bought that and two small cellphone charms. One I had picked out for him that was a puffer fish and he gave me an angel fish one.

True to his word earlier, after the aquarium he bought two cheeseburgers and we sat in the car and ate. I turned my key chain over in my hand chewed on my sandwich.

“Can you keep it? When I am gone,” I finished and Dan looked over at me before glancing down at the charm. He finished what he was chewing before shrugging.

“I can if you want me too.” He stated and I nodded slipping it into my pocket.

“Promise you'll visit me?”

“I already said I would every day.”

“You'll take your future wife to see me?” I pressed on and Dan stiffened at that comment.

“If I decide to move on.”

“I want you too.” I told him honestly. “If you find someone who you love as much as me, if not more, be happy with them. I won't be mad at you if you fall in love with someone else. I'll watch over you and as long as you are happy then I will be happy. I'll see you again one day.” I said and Daniel seemed upset at my words.

“I'll never love anyone more than you.”

“So, you promise?” I ask again changing the topic a bit as he nods. “You'll take your future lover, your kids, even your pet?” He let out a chortle and nodded.

“I'll introduce everyone to you. As long as you always are looking after me.”

I stuck out my pinky and he stuck out his. We crossed our fingers and shook them once before he placed a kiss upon my lips. “Always”.
♠ ♠ ♠
:) Hope you all like it.