Blood Mist

Acceptance

Her sigh was like the autumn breeze that tousled the carcasses of dying leaves and hinted at the chill of the coming winter. It gave way her excitement, the nervousness in which her pale green eyes couldn't stop on one spot; they had to keep moving to encompass all that was before her.
The hill was steep, stairs still sharp as their steps had been fortified with magic. The Academy, it was towering above her, in front of her, around, and even below. It was a work of art; the giant structure was a collaboration of years of progress that humans, elves, and even dwarves had come together to create. It was a marvelous structure of stone and it took Freya's breath away. A quirky little smile was formed on her lips as she battled between the giddy feeling in her chest and the nervousness sprouting in her stomach. She had finally been accepted, after two years of finding the right people and passing their tests, Freya had finally been allowed to gain entry to the famous school of the magics. It had been hard, her father had disapproved greatly at first, but of course, he had let her choose her way. Freya was going to miss her father during these next few months, but she hoped that her teachers would keep her too busy to dwell on it.
Skipping up the next few steps, her braided hair bounced against her back, the copper colored strands standing out against her pale skin. Halfway up, Freya caught the sound of someone crying. Brow furrowing, she looked towards the direction in which the noise had come from and found a small dirt path, leading into the forest that surrounded this area. Hand on the hilt of the blade that was strapped onto her waist, Freya started towards the sound. Around a corner she found a blonde girl, hugging herself. The girl looked up suddenly, fear in her eyes that quickly turned to hate. "Come to beat me more?" She spoke, her tone insulting; voice wavering.
Her face was bruised, clothes torn, and there was a gash below her right eye where tear marks were visible. Despite all of that she was a beauty, ears pointed ever so slightly and eyes the color of emeralds. "Arcana help me, who did this?" Freya squatted down in front of the girl, voice soft.
"Those Kassian followers-" The blonde spat, her anger apparent. "They said I looked like a wood elf and of course any elf needs to die." She was shaking now, tears falling freely.
"Come with me to The Academy, a healer magi will be able to help. I won't hurt you. " Freya offered, her hand stretched out towards the girl. She couldn't believe what had happened to this girl. Obviously she wasn't a full bred elf, though that would cause anyone who hated the race to go after her even more. The girl looked wary at first, hesitant to accept the help. Quickly though, she made up her mind and took Freya's hand. Hoisting her up, Freya had the girl lean on her. "Freya Skyborn." She smiled at the girl who at first was confused but then managed a weak looking smile.
"I'm Selkie, Selkie Firestorm." The blonde introduced her self and seemed to relax a bit more. Freya was glad for that. Whoever had done this was in for a beating if she ever got her hands on them. No one deserved this, no one.
The trip up the rest of the hill was slow, there wasn't much comfort, though Selkie seemed to trust Freya a bit more during the long climb.. Freya didn't mind the climb much, she wasn't just going to leave someone who needed help. Once reaching the end of their climb, oth of them gained immediate attention and entry into the main gates. Selkie was treated quickly, her injuries only minor and her clothing replaced.
Afterwards, Freya and her new friend hurried to the main hall. The entrance ceremony had already begun and so they could only find a place in the back of the room. A man that looked to be a student was up on stage as they finally found a place that they could see from. His black hair was tied back and he was wearing the customary black robes, however, they were threaded with gold adornments and the way he addressed the new students made it clear; he was no student but rather the arch mage of the academy. "That man could set me on fire and bury me alive and I think I would enjoy it." Selkie whispered into Freya's ear, earning a look of amazed shock at her words and a rose colored blush on her cheek. Giving a playful nudge she smiled,
"That is so inappropriate!" Biting her lip some she turned her attention towards the dark haired arch mage, his power over words making a boring speech seem important. He was eloquent and direct, though it was hard to distinguish any clear facial features, other than a patch across his left eye. After a brief pause in introducing the many teachers standing behind him, he spoke once more; capturing the attention of most of the students.
"This academy was founded for the sake of teaching individuals of our seven kingdoms magic. All of you have come from a variety of places, but let that not interfere with your studies. You are all now brothers and sisters-students of the arcane arts. The mission that we all have as scholars of these arts is to protect the land and aim for a better tomorrow." He paused for a moment, head turning to survey the crowed. "As you should all know by now, there is an enemy against this mission-this duty- of ours. A man and his ideals are trying to suffocate and destroy all that the founder of this academy spent her lifetime trying to start." By now, the crowed was murmuring. Freya felt Selkie push up against her as there sounded to be a heated conversation beginning behind them.
"That is why I am now urging you all forward to try and combat this attack on our home land and duty to the people. Work hard during your time here and bring ho-" The arch mage was cut off now, shouts breaking out at the very back of the crowed.
Getting ready to turn around and see what happened, Freya didn't get the choice as suddenly she was grabbed and pulled up close against someone. He smelt of charred fish and hot metal. A blade was at her throat, the cold steel causing her to shiver. Her mind wanted to panic; the thought of being killed burned a hold into her senses. She felt dizzy and disorientated, fear gouging its way into her very essence. Her name called her mind back to focus; Selkie's voice seemed to be pulling her forward and out of her panic, enough to realize the situation.
"So this is what Kassian's pets do? Use others as a shield to protect themselves when over powered!" A man across from Freya shouted in a sneer, his eyes burning bright with fury and his stance tight, ready to spring at any moment. Freya's shaky breath began to even, something the man holding her had yet to realize. His grip was loosening as he argued with those around him and Freya was now clear headed enough to do something about the situation.
Within seconds, Freya had chanted a short and simple spell, her right hand now nesting a small white flame. Moments later, that hand was press up against her captor's leg; the smell of burning flesh came to her just as an agonizing scream pierced the air. Her captor jerked away, his blade pulled up and against Freya's chin, the icy chill of the metal turned to a white hot flame as it pierced her skin; hot sticky liquid squeezing its way through the gash. Holding her face while hunching over, she was surrounded by those closest to her, the man who had been trying to use her as a shield was being taken away, his screams not dying as he cursed her and the entire academy.
Freya managed to push most of those crowding her away, stating that she was fine and needed no assistance. Selkie, however, stayed close, the blonde girl couldn't seem to find the proper words as she was lost between fawning over Freya and worrying about her bleeding injury. Standing up strait, she pulled her hand away from her chin, only to clamp it back on as she hadn't stopped bleeding. Face hardening, she turned to leave the hall, nearly bumping into the man behind her. His robes were black and tinged with blue adornments, his head shaved bald. "Please, follow me. I will take care of your injuries and then the arch mage would like to speak with you." Freya opened her mouth to protest, closing it immediately while flinching. It hurt too much to speak right now.
Selkie wasn't allowed to come, her protests were heard and ignored, Freya hoped the girl would be alright on her own. She was lead out of the main hall and down a rather well hidden corridor where previous arch mages pictures were hung from the cold stone walls. Her pale green eyes surveyed the thin hallway; the magi leading her seemed to be in a hurry. She could hear an echoing boom of a voice directing students from the now distant main hall. As the hall came to a cross roads, the bald magi lead Freya into a plush room with carpets, cushions, and chairs lining the walls and floor. Torches and mage lights cast an eerie glow in the windowless cube of a room.
Sitting after being instructed to do so, the magi whom had lead her cleaned and healed her cut, his emotions seeming distant and uncaring as to the event that had just happened. "Wait here." He instructed and left the room from the way he entered; the room seemed cold and empty now despite the fire of the torches.
A wisp of wind caused Freya's copper locks to partially come out of her braid, the sound of a door opening catching her attention. Looking around, she found a door across from her where there had not previously been. Confusion echoed in her being, though it turned to awe at the use of higher magics that she had no way of comprehending at this time. It opened, a shadowed figure motioned for her to come in. Complying without word, she entered, the same breeze tickling her neck as she passed through an invisible barrier.
"Glad that you could make it." The masculine voice was smooth and rather distant. Freya frowned slightly, feeling a bit annoyed as the mans head was bowed and he was writing something on a rather ornately made oak desk.
"It's not as though I really had a choice." The fiery haired girl muttered. The figured lifted his head, a piercing blue eye that seemed brighter due to the black hair that accented his pale face bore into her. His other was covered by a leather patch, golden runes engraved onto its surface. It was the arch mage and he seemed rather annoyed, though it was only a mild hint. Freya's heart seemed to skip a beat as she took in his appearance. He was indeed handsome. A sharp jaw line and striking features were accented by the look of frustration that temporarily adorned his face. Sitting up, the arch mage brushed some of his ebony locks out of his face, allowing, if only for a moment, a glimpse of his ears. It was when Freya realized that this man was an elf. It would explain his sharp features but at the same time, it baffled her. Why was an elf the arch mage of the academy, and one so young at that?
It was rare for an elf to join the academy in the first place. Usually they avoided it, finding themselves to prefer the teachings of their own kind. Occasionally one would show up to teach what they knew, but never had there been an Elven arch mage. They weren't allowed by there kind, it was perplexing and intriguing. Obviously, the arch mage didn't want thoughts like that and so he cleared his throat, leaning back in his chair; fingers interlaced as his hands settled on his lap. "What was your intention in helping out the man whom you burned?" He questioned eyebrow quirking up as he waited for an answer. Freya's jaw almost hung open as she tried to figure out if he was joking. Stuttering slightly, her face contorted into anger upon realizing he wasn't.
"Excuse me?" She managed, hands balling into fists. "I have no connection to that man. He grabbed me and held a dagger to my neck. I would have to be mad in the head to help a coward like that." By now, Freya's tone had raised some. She paused though, worry in her eyes as she realized who she was talking to, but decided that it was too late and he would have his opinion of her anyways. Elves almost never gave a second chance if you were rude to them. "I am insulted that you would lump me in with such a…a pile of dirt." The black hair magi raised his hand to silence her, his eyes showing amusement.
"That is enough." He sounded calm and thoughtful, his blue eyes not leaving her face. Standing, his height and presence made Freya almost step away, though of course her stubborn head stayed its ground. Walking around the desk and towards her, he briefly paused next to her, Freya's head just above his shoulder. "You have spirit." He smiled slightly, a bit of a twisted glint flickering in his eyes. "I like that." It was a whisper, so soft Freya almost didn't grasp it before it fluttered away like a leaf in the wind. Her eyes snapped to the side, looking at him with shock, but he was no longer there. "You will make a fine magi, for a human. Work hard." His voice came from behind her. Spinning around, she found him in the doorway, a breeze that wasn't there, tousling his black hair. Looking away from her he stepped through the door way and vanished, leaving Freya to ponder what had just happened.
Moments later, the same bald magi that had lead her hear came through the door, agitation apparent on his face. "Please, allow me to escort you to your quarters." Nodding her head, Freya followed, her mind wandering on the quick paced morning she was having and the utterly odd words of the arch mage.

She was led to a building that was only connected to the main academy by a wide hallway that was open to the elements except for an overhang for a roof. The bald magi didn’t speak as he lead her, seeming quite annoyed with the fact that he was escorting some nobody to their quarters. At least, that was what Freya assumed to be the reason for the scowl on the man’s face. Her eyes wandered away from the shiny head of the tall man she was following. You could see some of the inner courtyard from the hallway. There were thick tufts of emerald grass that seemed unfazed by the coming winter. No flowers were blooming though; there were bright green bushes and sturdy trees that lined the stone pathway that was made of a collage of different shaped rocks and pebbles.
A polite cough brought her mint colored eyes back to her guide, impatiens on his face. “This is the place where you and your fellow first year students will be staying. You will all be notified when meals are to be served and a gong will sound when curfew starts. “He smiled, a bit too many teeth seemed to have been put in his mouth. “I hope you have a good first week.” Freya smiled politely, a bit disconcerted by his behavior. He handed her a small folded parchment and then made his way back from where they had come. Furrowing her brow some, Freya looked down at the piece of parchment and unfolded it. Loopy handwriting filled the sheet, ink drops on it suggesting that they were not used to the utensil being used.
Freya Skyborn is to be roomed on the third level, room nine on the right.
Selkie Firestorm shall be her companion.
-Bael Roycel
Freya smiled at the small good news. She didn’t know anyone else and was glad to be able to room with the girl she had helped earlier. She had no idea who this ‘Bael Roycel’ person was. For a moment she wondered if that was the name of the bald man who had led her here. Shaking her head, she smirked. There was no way someone like him would have such messy handwriting. He seemed too meticulous and grouchy for the bubbly lettering. Pocketing the parchment, Freya made her way inside.
Finding the stairs was no hard task. Once inside, she found herself faced with an open area. Windows let in a good amount of light while there were tables and chairs spread around, as if they were meant for groups of people. A large fireplace was at the back, warming the chilled fall air. To her right and her left were stair cases. She could only assume that they both led to the same place. Everything here seemed to be made of stone; the walls, the ground, everything. Many tapestries and rugs had been strewn about so as to make it more comfortable and warm. She didn’t pause for much more than a look the stairs seemed to invite her to a short and new adventure.
They were stone, mage lights lighting the way. Open doorways led off to each floor, a long hallway with doors spaced intermittently on either side. She only caught a glance of the first and second levels when she passed them, a few students milling about in the hallways to converse and socialize. When she made it to the third level, she paused at the opening and found that there were quite a few people in the hallway. Nibbling on her lower lip, she made her way through the densely packed group. The hallways were really not that wide.
Finally, Freya made it to the end of the hall, room number nine. There was not a key, only a knob on the wooden frame. Opening the door, she entered quickly, shutting it behind her. A small squeak came from behind her and she whirled around to see a lump cowering underneath the blankets in one of the beds in the room. Eyebrows raised in shock, Freya went to go see who was under there. She assumed it to be Selkie, but she wanted to make sure. Slowly she peeled the blanket off of the hiding person. Blond hair presented itself and Freya smiled some. “What in the name of the Seven Realms are you doing?” She asked, her voice seemed to make the girl jump.
Selkie looked up, her emerald orbs shifting from fright to shock and then to happiness. It was quite the quick pace for the three moods. “Freya!” The girl yelled and jumped into the red head’s arms. Freya was tempted to ask Selkie why she was hiding again, but decided against it. She could guess why. There were those in this world that didn’t agree with Kassian’s methods, but they did agree with his underlying hatred of elves and anyone not human.
It probably didn’t help that Selkie wasn’t completely elf. If she was a half breed than that would mean more trouble for the poor girl since her parents would have most likely sheltered her as a child. It wasn’t an uncommon practice to hide away children that were of mixed blood. Freya felt for the girl and decided then that she would try to be a good friend. After all, they all lived in the same world, did they not?
After Freya finally managed to get the girl off of her, they sat down and talked about The Academy. Freya sat on the bed that hadn’t been claimed by Selkie and picked up a small letter that had been placed on her pillow. “Oh, that paper will tell you all about the classes and teachers that we get to choose from. Apparently we get to take a class from each of them and at the end of the week, it will be decided what our specialty and degree of power is.” Selkie explained, leaving Freya to open the letter and see for herself. He eyes trailed across the various names and ranks of the teachers; each class seeming incredibly interesting to her. She wanted to learn it all, but Freya guessed that wouldn’t be possible if they were going to be tested for what specialty of magic they possessed. Freya had no idea. She knew the minimum for each of the basic sections of magic. You had to have at least that amount of knowledge to even get accepted.
“What do you think your specialty will be, Freya?” The blond elf asked with eager eyes. “I do hope that mine is fire. It would be really neat to be able to match my name sake. Don’t you agree?” Freya smiled at the girl and shrugged her shoulders.
“I don’t know. I just hope that I am good enough to pass the teacher’s tests.” She responded and sighed, flopping down onto her small bed, letter clutched in her hand. Freya was ever so excited to start her time at The Academy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope everyone enjoys this. I will try and update weekly though, when school comes around it might take me longer. If you have any critiques or comments I will be happy to hear them!