Status: Won't be finished until next year.

Sleeptember

Ryker Didn't Have Good Days. So What Was This?

The house was silent. Ryker awoke suddenly, as if something had woken him, but nothing stirred. He sat up in bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He looked at the clock. It was 5:55. His alarm was set to ring in five minutes. He turned to shut it off and got up to get ready for school.

When Ryker came out, he didn't find any random people lying passed out around the house. That meant Axel was either passed out at someone else's house or that he actually did take one of those rare nights where he stayed at the office late and he was passed out in his bedroom right now. Ryker didn't care enough to go and find out though, no way in hell would he actually go and seek out Axel.

As Ryker walked into the kitchen, grabbing something to eat, he thought about his rope burns. He had figured they would ich or something, but they felt completely fine. But Ryker wouldn't complain about that. It was something good in his horrific life. Maybe today would be a good day. He didn't think that those existed for him, but maybe he was wrong.

And then he heard movement. It was Axel walking groggily down the hallway, towards the kitchen, scratching his head. Ryker didn't say anything, didn't look at him. He decided to settle with a peice of toast and waited by toaster as Axel went to open the fridge.

It was against his better judgement, but Ryker had to ask, "Have you heard anything from Mom?" It was quiet. He cleared his throat, but didn't look up as he did.

Axel didn't answer, only took some milk out of the fridge and set it down on the other counter, reaching up into the cabinet for a cereal box.

"Well?" Ryker pushed.

"Mind your own damn business." Axel growled, sounding too tired to want to get into this.

"It is my business." Ryker argued. He was getting himself into this. He knew it, but he couldn't help it. His mom haunted his mind. Out of everybody, he liked her the most. She was that one person who just didn't deal with anybody. You cross her and she'll go off on you, but if you let her be, she's fine. But he guessed she had just had enough and left. But why would she go without him? She was the one who at least told him good night when he went to bed if she was near by. Every once in a while, when she happened to be up before he went to school, she would grab a bowl of cereal and join him at the table. There would be silence, but at least she was there. There was some unspoken friendship between them. Not like a mother-son relationship. More like an anti-Axel relationship. So, why would she leave him here while she decided to escape?

"Shut the hell up!" Axel yelled, turning around to facing Ryker for a moment, before turning back to his bowl. "It's too early for this shit!"

"What shit? My mother's gone and I want to fucking know why! What did you do to make her leave?" Ryker asked, taking the toast out of the toaster and spreading butter over it. He looked over his shoulder to look at Axel, who was now putting up the cereal box.

"I didn't do anything!" Axel yelled back, turning to Ryker. "Now shut the hell up before I make you." Ryker turned to face him.

"Just tell me! Why'd she leave!" Ryker argued. Axel smacked him right across the face and Ryker automatically flinched, but it didn't hurt. He felt the pressure, but the sting wasn't there. Ryker looked up at Axel wide eyed, lowering his hand from his face and then did something he had never done in the history of his existance. He punched Axel square in the face. Axel stumbled back, holding his nose as blood started to drip down his hand and he removed his hand to reveal a bloody nose. He looked up and glared at Ryker with the darkest look of anger he had ever seen in Axel's eyes.

And Ryker ran like hell. Immediately he ran out of the kitchen, reaching down and grabbing his backpack from the couch and slinging it over his shoulder before bolting out the door. The cold air wiped at him as he ran down the sidewalk, his breathing hard. The biggest grin was platered on Ryker's face. He hadn't felt this good since- Hell! He had never felt this good! He didn't stop running until he was at least ten blocks away. And then he slowed, breathing hard and looking back. Nobody was following him.

His heart raced and his body jittered. He was so exhilerated... this was the BEST day of his life.