Rise and Fall

Cupcake

I woke up the next morning and fell out of my bed when I tried to stand. My legs were incredibly stiff and seared in pain when I went to put pressure on them. “Shelb,” I shouted. “You ok? I heard- holy shit what happened to your face,” Shelby exclaimed. Rob came jogging in behind her in only his boxers.

“Stupid asshole customer. Friend of Shadows actually. Can I have some Ibuprofen please,” I said, crawling back into bed.

“How was kickboxing, champ,” Rob asked, discovering the center of my pain. “It was good. Just sucks right now,” I said and Rob grinned. “It’ll get better. Your muscles and body just aren’t used to that kind of workout,” Rob explained. “Or any type of workout for that matter,” I said and Shelby came back in the room at that moment with a glass of water and three tablets for me.

“You are a goddess,” I said and swallowed them immediately and sat there waiting for them to kick in. “So how was fiancé sex,” I asked. Rob and Shelby looked at each other guiltily. “Pretty good actually,” Shelby grinned. Rob was grinning from ear to ear. I was glad I was at work all night and didn’t have to hear any of it. They went downstairs to eat breakfast while I sat in bed, waiting for the meds to kick in.

A half hour later I managed to hobble out of bed and take a shower. I winced a little as the water hit my face. It was still hurting and must’ve looked a little bruised judging by Shelby’s reaction. After getting out of the shower I wiped off a foggy part of the mirror and stared at myself. Yup it was bruised. It was an ugly purple color and looked awful. I was lucky that it wasn't worse because the stitches were only an inch or two from my eye. It looked much worse than it actually felt.

I made my way back into my room and changed into a pair of comfy sweats, a tank top, and a zip up hoodie. I was dressing for comfort today and planned to lounge around either in bed or on the couch since I had the day off. I snagged a piece of toast for breakfast and plopped onto the couch. I had half a mind to get my iPod because Shelby and Rob were in the kitchen sweet talking each other and it made me want to vomit. So instead I retreated back to my room and read a book instead.

I ended up finishing the book and it was now late in the afternoon. Seeing Shelby and Rob that way this morning only emphasized the point that I needed to get the hell out of here. I stepped on toes long enough. I opened up my beat up and extremely old Dell laptop. It slowly loaded the homepage and I began searching Craigslist and other websites for possible apartment candidates.

After two hours I gave up. There were a few that I liked but overall I wasn’t impressed. It seemed like I had a better chance at finding a nice cardboard box than finding a decent apartment at a reasonable price. I was getting antsy. I decided to take some more pills and go for a walk. I needed some fresh air and figured it was probably better for my muscles to get some movement instead of lying around like a slug. No pain no gain, right?

I slipped on my headphones, flipped my hood up and started blaring Three Days Grace. I never thought that I would end up living in the city. I had grown up in white bread suburbia and rarely went on trips to the city with friends. College changed everything and meeting Shelby had changed that as well. Now the city was a part of me and it was hard to imagine my life without it.

I had been walking for a while and felt my pocket buzz. Bobby was calling me. I took off my headphones and answered it. “What’s up Bobby,” I answered. “Hey Gary called out. I need you to fill in for him tonight,” Bobby said. He sounded like he felt bad. “Dammit Bobby this was my only day off this week. But I desperately need the money so I guess I’ll be there,” I sighed. “How’s the head? News travels fast here,” Bobby informed me. “It’s ok. And I know it does. Faster than rumors ever did in high school,” I said and Bobby chuckled. “See you at ten babe,” he said and hung up. I sighed and put my headphones back in and walked back to the apartment.

I came home to find Rob and Shelby curled up on the couch. Rob gave me a wave and I nodded at them before going into the kitchen. It was now dinner time and I figured I better eat something before work tonight. I decided on making myself a burger and treated Rob and Shelby as well, figuring it would be rude not to.

We were all sitting on the couch chatting and eating. “Well did you like it? How was Shadows,” Shelby asked, wiggling her eyebrows. “I don’t see why you like him. He’s probably the biggest asshole I’ve ever met,” I said and Shelby laughed. “Well no he’s not exactly warm and fuzzy. But he knows his shit,” Shelby said and I decided I would probably leave out how I had snapped at him. Repeatedly. “You really don’t like him,” she said, noticing my facial expressions. “Well it doesn’t help that he has shitty friends. One of which gave me this lovely present,” I said, pointing to my stitches. “Four stitches. That’s impressive. You know how to take a hit girl,” Rob whistled.

We hung out for a while longer and I was basically killing time until work. Soon enough it was nine thirty and I had to get ready. I slipped into the usual uniform, black v neck t-shirt and black shorts, said bye to them and left. I decided to walk to work for a change. I had the time and for some reason exercise seemed more appealing now. Thank you kickboxing.

I got to work ten minutes early and Jake greeted me. I was glad he was going to be bar back again. Kyra wasn’t working tonight, and instead it was Danielle. Danielle was good at her job and she didn’t take shit from anyone. She had experience waitressing and knew how to handle working in an environment like a bar. She probably would’ve punched Corey in the face if he tried grabbing her ass. I smiled to myself and Danielle waved at me.

“Girl you look like shit. Jake was telling me all about your adventures last night,” Danielle grinned. “Adventures. Yeah that’s one word for it,” I said, rolling my eyes. “Does it hurt? I have some stuff in my purse if you need it,” Danielle said. “Maybe later. Thanks. I’m so glad you’re here tonight. I don’t think Kyra would be able to handle it. Plus I can guarantee you won’t spill any drinks,” I said. “No guys touching me. They’ll lose their left nut if they try,” Danielle said and we laughed. She tossed me an apron and I put it on.

The night flew by quickly and I was glad for it. I felt like a robot going through the motions. Make drinks, take money. Make more drinks, chat with customers, put more money in register. I was drained from the night before. Thankfully Danielle’s meds helped perk me up a little bit, but I was ready for three o’clock to roll around.

It was around one in the morning when I saw a familiar face. “Brian is that you? What do you want? First drink is on me,” I said and he grinned, frowning when he saw my face. “The hell happened to you,” Brian asked, eyeing my cut. “Shadows and his BFF Corey Taylor,” I explained. I spotted Shadows playing a game of pool by himself. Brian was probably playing with him. He was focusing hard on putting the green-striped ball in the corner pocket, and did so within a few seconds. After doing so he glanced up at me and I quickly looked away. “Keep him away from me,” I scowled. “Shit. I don’t even know why he was out with Corey. Not exactly the biggest fan of him,” Brian said. I handed him a beer and he thanked me, leaving me puzzled.

If Shadows didn’t like the guy then why did he waste the night with the guy? Shadows was not the type of guy to let people walk all over him. Brian started talking to him and then Shadows glanced in my direction. Again. I quickly turned back to the bar and looked for a customer who needed something. I found a girl who wanted a Long Island Iced Tea and began making it for her. She thanked me and left some money on the bar before walking around. I closed my eyes and sighed. When I opened them up Danielle was standing in front of me.

“What’s up,” I asked, raising a brow. “You know those guys,” Danielle asked. I looked to see who she was peering over at and spotted Brian and Shadows. “They work at the gym I’ve started going to. Kickboxing. Shelb got me into it,” I said. “That skinny one is cute. Do you have his number,” Danielle asked. I smiled to myself. Brian would be pleased to know someone was interested in him. “I can find out,” I said. She smiled happily and walked off to the nearest table.

“Brian,” I shouted over to the pool table. Both guys perked up and stared at me. “What’s your number,” I asked. “Sweetheart I’m flattered, but you’re not my type,” Brian smiled. “Not me you idiot. You’re not my type either. It’s for my friend,” I said, rolling my eyes. “Who? Tell me! Is it the smoking blonde,” Brian asked and I knew he was referring to Danielle. “It has a name. That’s Danielle. And she is interested,” I said. Brian immediately scribbled down his number on a napkin.

“So what is your type,” a deep voice drawled. “We’re not on speaking terms,” I said, taking the napkin and turned on my heel. I heard Brian guffawing as I turned away from them. I called Danielle over and handed her the number. She looked over at Brian and grinned at him and he gave her a small wave. Love was in the air for everyone except me it seemed. I pouted and focused back to work.

Three o’clock rolled around and it was time to close up. Brian and Danielle were flirting in a corner. Shadows was sitting at a table with a scowl on his face. Was the guy ever happy? Had a smile ever crossed his damn face? Since him and Brian were the only ones left, I decided to start counting the money, not caring that they were still here.

I was pleased to see that I made over four hundred dollars. “Thanks for tonight Jake. Danielle is busy trying to suck face with Brian so here. You can leave early,” I said, handing him forty. He grunted a thanks and left. I put the registers in the safe, locked the office and screamed when I turned and saw Shadows standing in the doorway.

“Fucking hell how can you be so large and yet so quiet,” I said, shoving him. Of course he didn’t budge. “Why are you mad at me? It was Corey not me. I wouldn’t be stupid enough to throw a beer bottle at you,” Shadows said. “Ever hear of guilty by association,” I said. “I underestimated you, cupcake,” Shadows said in a low voice. He was still blocking the doorway. “Why because I took a hit from a bottle so gracefully,” I said dryly. “Something like that,” he said.

“Can you move? I have to lock up. And if my boss knew you were here my ass would be fired,” I said. “Liar. He’s in love with you,” Shadows said but moved aside for me. “Oh you managed to notice that? I thought you were too busy sucking your girlfriend’s face off. Your tongue was lodged so far down her throat,” I said, untying my apron and tossing it behind the bar. “Oh you managed to notice that,” Shadows asked, using my own words. I rolled my eyes and glared at him. “Syn let’s go,” Shadows said loudly. “Syn? So is that his nickname,” I asked, unable to stop myself. “Something like that,” Shadows said. Always the mystery. Brian said his goodbyes and they left. God he was impossible.

“He is so cute. We’re going out tomorrow night,” Danielle gushed. She babbled about him as I locked up and walked her to her car. “Night. Have fun with Brian,” I said and she grinned widely. I got out my cell phone ready to call a cab when I heard someone walking behind me. I spun around and groaned when I saw Shadows. Fantastic.

“No car,” Shadows asked and I shook my head. “Cab. Cars are too expensive,” I said, dialing the number. “One might argue that cabs are expensive,” Shadows said, his hands resting in his pockets. “I’m not supposed to be talking to you. Why are you still here,” I asked, exasperated. “You only just kicked us out. I did the math, counted three cars and there were four of us in the bar. Get in my car, cupcake,” Shadows said, reaching for his keys in his front pocket.

“Why would I get in a car with you? And why would you invite me to do so in the first place? I treat you like shit,” I stated. “Will you quit being so stubborn? It’s fucking freezing. You really want to wait out here for a cab,” Shadows asked. I sighed and gave in. He was right. I didn’t feel like freezing my ass off for a half hour for a twenty dollar cab ride. “Fine,” I said and got into the passenger seat. He turned the engine on and the heat blew in my face.

“My address is-“ I began but he cut me off. “I know where you live,” Shadows said. “How-“ I began and he interrupted me again. “I looked at your file the other night. It gives your address. You live with Shelby and her boyfriend,” Shadows said. “Fiancé,” I said, correcting him automatically. “And that’s not weird or stalkerish,” I said, feeling slightly creeped out. “I take a special interest in some of the members,” Shadows commented. That brought a chill down my spine. Special interest? What the hell did that mean? And more importantly, why me? “Lucky me,” I grumbled and I heard a low rumble and realized that he was chuckling.

It was silent for most of the ride. I didn’t feel like talking and he wasn’t exactly Mr. Social. Suddenly we were interrupted by his car phone ringing. “Yeah,” Shadows answered. “Baby are you coming over tonight? I miss you and your big cock,” the girl on the other line giggled.

I assumed it was the girl from the bar the other night and was horrified that I was overhearing this conversation. I looked out the window and did my best to tune out the conversation but was failing miserably. “Not tonight. Not in the mood,” Shadows grunted. “Matt come on. We didn’t even fuck the other night. What’s up can you not get it up or something? We can try other stuff if you want. I know you’re into the kinky shit,” she said. She was a fighter that was for sure. But the only thing that stuck out from that was the fact that she said his name. Matt. I felt frozen in place as I stared out the window. “I’ll call you. Got to go,” Shadows/Matt said and clicked off the car phone.

Well, shit. If it wasn’t silent before it definitely was now. I wasn’t going to say anything if I could help it. It remained that way until he pulled up outside the apartment. I instantly undid my seatbelt and went to open the door but he locked it. Shit. I sighed and continued staring outside, hoping that maybe if I wished hard enough, I would teleport out there.

“I won’t say anything,” I said, the only thing coming to my mind that made sense. He continued to stay silent. Now what? I turned to look over at him and he was staring at me. His hazel orbs were locked with mine and if I wasn't so scared, I'd admit that his eyes were gorgeous. But I was also exhausted and wanted to collapse into my bed and I really wasn’t up to a staring contest.

“Don’t you want to know why,” he asked. “Why what,” I asked, confused. “Why I don’t go by Matt at the gym,” he stated. “Yes but I guess it’s not really my business. And I’m a little scared right now so. No I don’t care,” I said. “I’m scaring you,” he asked, surprised. “Well I tried to get out and you fucking locked the door. You could be plotting to kill me or something,” I said and he chuckled again. The low rumbling sound was relieving. He wouldn’t kill me after laughing would he?

“Not many people know my first name. I’d like to keep it that way,” he stated. “Fine,” I said, all too aware that he didn’t really give me an answer. I looked down at my hands, unsure of what to say or do next. "How are your stitches," Matt asked quietly. I guess he was desperate to change the subject.

"They're ok. Bar fights. It comes with the job," I shrugged. "One sided bar fights. Seems a bit unfair," Matt said. I looked up at him and he shocked the hell out of me by stroking the stitches. It hurt slightly but I was more distracted by the electric jolt that was running through me when he touched there. "But he might've woken up with a few bruises of his own. He was so gone I doubt he'll remember who gave them to him," he said, referring to himself. God he could be so scary sometimes. He was a very powerful man.

“You’re special. I see something in you, cupcake,” he muttered softly, releasing his fingers from my face. He spoke so softly I almost didn’t hear it. Cupcake. Was it weird that I kind of liked that pet name? Wait why was he giving me a pet name in the first place? And I couldn’t like him. He was one of the biggest assholes I ever met. I was supposed to hate him. “What do you see,” I asked quietly, curiosity getting the better of me. “I’m not sure yet. I’ll see you tomorrow. Try not to get into trouble,” he said and I couldn’t help but smirk. I didn’t get into trouble. Trouble wasted no time in finding me.

He unlocked the door and I got out, shutting the door behind me. I watched as he drove off into the night. He was the most confusing and intriguing person I had ever met. I knew he wasn’t telling me everything and part of me was glad he didn’t, but another part was interested in learning more about him. Was that what he meant when he said he saw something in me? I didn’t want to dwell on the thought anymore and fumbled for my keys and let myself inside, away from the cold.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I didn't get this up last night! Didn't have access to internet so that complicated things. Anywho, enjoy!

As always, thanks for the comments xx
JaedeVendetta
JustThinking
mindblind
AvengedFanfoREVer
amodernmyth88