Rise and Fall

Coincidence

Fifteen days. It had been exactly fifteen days since I had sat in Matt’s car and listened to him tell me that he was the son of one of the most powerful east coast gangs and that he had taken over as the leader since his father's death. As a reaction, I began going to Daddis just about every day. Even though my muscles would be throbbing some days and be begging me to take a day off, I ignored them and carried out intense workouts. My plan was, if there was even the slightest chance that this rival gang 3DG happened to recognize me as a potential witness and sought to kill me, I was going to be prepared. I wasn’t going down without a fight.

Of course I had to take a few days off at some point. The main reason was that I had finally found my own apartment. All the credit was due to Jeremy really. He had connections in the real estate world and helped me narrow it down to a few places. They were all within my price range, which of course meant that they weren't in the greatest neighborhoods but I didn't care about that. I just wanted an apartment to call my own.

I had invited him out to dinner to introduce him to Shelby and Rob to show him my appreciation. We all had a great time and Shelby was giving me strong hints that she really liked the guy. I had to admit that I really liked him too. He was easy to talk to and was always cracking jokes, guaranteed to make me laugh. The only one who didn’t seem to like him was Matt. Whenever he watched us partner up together, that scowl was prominent on his face.

Even Jeremy was catching onto the hatred. “I get the vibe that he’s not too fond of me,” Jeremy said in class one day, grinning at me as I did the ten body kicks to each side that Shadows ordered. “I don’t think he’s really too fond of anybody. I think he’s in love with himself. Probably spends an hour in front of the bathroom mirror admiring his body,” I had replied.

The words tasted wrong the second they left my lips. I immediately wanted to take them back. I knew he wasn’t like that at all. If anything, I would enjoy spending an hour or more admiring his body. As for the explanation of the scowl, it was probably due to the fact that Matt had taken a ‘special interest’ in me and was looking out for me. Maybe.

But currently I was loading box after box into my new apartment. Sure the neighborhood wasn’t exactly the safest, but it was home. My home. I smiled as I sat in on my couch, currently the only piece of furniture in my living room. I was counting on some nice housewarming gifts. Jeremy came in, lugging yet another large box marked ‘Bedroom.’ “Thanks for all the help,” he said sarcastically and I stuck my tongue out at him as he walked by.

I followed him into the bedroom and he gently dropped the box down. I stared at my bed and made a mental note to get sheets because I had no idea which box the sheets and comforter were in. “I still can’t thank you enough. This place is fantastic. To me anyway,” I said, folding my arms across my chest. “It’s not the best but I’m glad you like it. No walking in any dark alleys at odd hours,” Jeremy said, wagging a finger at me. “Aw but that is one of my top three favorite activities,” I complained, faking a pout. We both laughed and I followed him outside to get the last of the boxes.

All of the work was mostly done. Shelby and Rob each had a box and informed me that there was only one left in the U-Haul. The next great adventure would be unpacking. I quickly realized that I had more shit than I had originally thought. I grabbed the last box and met the rest of the gang in the living room to find them all sitting on the couch looking completely and utterly exhausted.

“It’s a pizza and beer kind of night. I’ll order,” I said, whipping out my cell phone. I ordered two pizzas and figured on the way I’d stop by the local liquor store. Jeremy said I could borrow his car. Everyone was exhausted from helping out so I offered to pick up the food. Shelby was practically falling asleep on the couch. I couldn’t blame her. We had been up packing and bringing in boxes since ten o’ clock this morning. It was now almost five.

I grabbed a spot on the floor and began picking through a nearby box to see what was inside. Kitchen stuff. While everyone was sitting around I took the time to put away some of the silverware, cups and plates. After I finished I put the box aside and taped it up, figuring I could use it as an end table until something better came along. And who knew how long it would be until something better came along.

Afterwards I went to pick up the pizza when it was time. I grabbed a six pack of Blue Moon, knowing it was Jeremy’s favorite, and a six pack of Coronas, one of my favorites. We all sat around in the living room chatting as we ate. The pizza seemed to livened us up a bit and act less like zombies. “Kells has been going to Daddis a lot. I can already see some muscle build up,” Shelby said, gesturing at my arms. I rolled my eyes at her, but was secretly proud of the comment she made. “Yeah well I hardly ever see you there. In fact not once since I started there. So is that the drill? Recruit somebody and then you’re out,” I teased and Shelby flipped me off.

“I’ve been very busy,” Shelby said defensively, gnawing at her pizza. “Yeah. Screwing your fiancé,” I said and even Rob laughed at that one. Guilty by association. “You’ll be ready for your shirt test in no time,” Shelby said. “Shirt test,” I asked, raising a brow. “You know, the rankings they have based on your skill levels and stuff. Like karate belts. Next for you is a blue shirt. Then purple, brown, and black,” Shelby explained and I nodded, vaguely remembering Matt mentioning them in a couple of the classes I first went to.

“You really like it though, huh? And it brought you Jeremy,” Shelby said, wiggling her eyebrows. I hated it when she did that. Talking about someone like they weren’t in the room. But no he was there alright and I now felt uncomfortable and embarrassed in his presence. “Yeah… and Shadows,” I said, desperate to change the conversation and take the limelight off Jeremy.

“Shadows! That man is so mysterious! Like what does he do all day? I mean judging by that smoking body he doesn’t just sit around all the time. He works at it. And it is doing wonders for him,” Shelby said dreamily. Rob flexed a muscle next to her and I smirked at him. “I think the gym is his life. Some guys just love the rush they get from working out. Seems to be his thing,” I shrugged.

“You like him,” Shelby said and this caught Jeremy’s attention. I felt him staring at me. “Sure he’s nice to look at. I don’t think any female would disagree with us,” I said and Shelby laughed. “Oh you are so right. Seeing him and those muscles is one of my motivators to go to class,” Shelby said. “And clearly that’s been working out well for you recently,” Rob grinned, wincing as she pushed him playfully.

It was amazing that none of them had a clue about who Shadows really was. They didn’t even know his real name. Then again the only reason I knew was after a horrifying car conversation I overheard. In a way it was frustrating being in my position. Having all this information but having no one to share it with. Of course there was one someone I could talk to but it wasn’t like I had him on speed dial. And even then Matt wasn’t particularly loquacious and hesitated to reveal too much information about himself or the business he was in.

“Penny for your thoughts,” Jeremy asked, breaking me from my thoughts. “I’d think they’d be worth more than a penny. Just about unpacking. And all that I need to do,” I said, lying through my teeth. “Well we got most of the hard work done. Just the tedious stuff left,” he said and I nodded in agreement.

Everyone stayed for about another hour or so but they all agreed that they were exhausted and wanted nothing more than to get home and into bed. I understood completely and in a way was glad because I wanted to take the opportunity to enjoy my apartment by myself for the first time. I said good night to all of them and walked them to the door, shutting it behind them. I leaned against it and smiled, taking in my surroundings. All of it was mine. No roommates, just me. I squealed and took a minute to jump around my apartment, loving my privacy.

After getting my childish impulses out, I unpacked a few more boxes. Mostly stuff for my bedroom that made it feel more like my own. I blared some Rise Against as I did so, not caring if my neighbors complained. The majority of them were probably still out doing god knows what. However it was getting late and I still needed to get sheets and a comforter for tonight before the stores closed.

I got a lift to the mall from a cab and browsed a few stores, hoping to find a comforter pattern that jumped out at me. I was there for an hour, up until closing, and the Boscov’s cashier did not seem pleased by this. I handed her my midnight blue sheets and the blue and white vertical striped comforter to match. “Sorry,” I said as she bagged it and handed it to me, saying nothing. I don’t think she said a word to me during the whole transaction except to inform me of my total. Number one in customer service that’s for sure.

It was obvious that I was the last customer out of the store and out of the mall apparently. There were only a few cars scattered here and there throughout the parking lot, and I figured they were probably employees. I paused after I made my way outside and reached for my cell phone out of my purse. I froze as I heard a voice and someone being shoved against a solid surface.
“Please… I’ll have the money next week I swear,” he pleaded. My instincts were to help the poor guy. Even though my conscience was battling back and forth about exactly how much trouble this guy was in if he owed someone money. I didn’t have a clue how much money he owed. But before I could take action, I froze in place as the second voice spoke.

“We gave you an extension already and we don’t do that often. Tell me why I shouldn’t turn your brains into goop and splatter them against this fine brick wall here? Give me one good reason,” the second voice said in creepily calm voice. A voice that constantly harassed me as I signed in and walked out of the gym every single time. Hey princess.

Green eyes. I didn’t even know his fucking name. And here he was, right around the corner by a dumpster, threatening to take someone’s life while I was sitting here under a bright light. It was a goddamn miracle he didn’t see me. Realizing this, I quickly moved out from under the light and squeezed myself against the wall. It also helped that he was around the side of the building so the wall partially blocked his view from me. I couldn’t exactly see them but I heard them and knew I was extremely close to them.

“I just need more time…” the man continued to beg. I winced as I heard him cry out in pain as he was hit by something. Probably the gun. Green eyes seemed to crave violence. “Or you know what there’s a trash dispenser right here. Perhaps I should shove you inside there and crank it on because that’s what you are. Nothing but complete fucking garbage,” green eyes spat out, enunciating each word in his last sentence. I felt chills running up and down my spine at his threat. This is what Matt’s double life was like. This is what he did for a living. And these were the types of people he worked with on a daily basis. This terrifying, vicious, freak was one of his gang members.

“They wouldn’t find you for days… weeks maybe. Until the stench of your rotting corpse stunk up the whole fucking landfill,” green eyes continued. The man was flat out crying now, and it was kind of pathetic. I almost wanted green eyes to shoot this miserable sack of crap. Then I mentally scolded myself for having such a horrible thought. “Please… my family…” he cried. “You have until tomorrow, pal. Don’t you dare hide. And even if you are fucking stupid enough to do so… we know where to find you,” green eyes said.

“That’s not enough time,” the man cried and he let out another howl of pain as he was smacked, I assumed by the gun, again. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a black car approaching. “You DARE complain when I am showing you mercy? Tomorrow. Or else,” green eyes said menacingly, but the slowly approaching vehicle distracted me. Wait a second. I recognized that car. That was Matt’s car. That was the car that he had driven me home in multiple times and when I learned who he truly was. Now I was beyond terrified. What would he do if he saw me? I could hear my heart pounding in my ears and prayed green eyes could not hear it.

I remained against the wall, mostly out of the light, quietly letting in and out shallow breaths. Why did I have to go out to get comforters tonight? Why didn’t I just sleep on the goddamn couch for the night? From Matt’s view if he so happened to glance in this direction, he would easily see me. Just some idiotic girl standing there, clutching onto her giant Boscov’s bag. Suddenly there was a loud tear and my comforter fell to the ground with a soft thud, but loud enough to get Matt’s attention. The bag had torn on the side. Damn that cashier for squeezing everything into one bag! I mumbled a curse under my breath as his head snapped in my direction and got on my knees to pick it up and carried the bundle in my arms.

Green eyes was walking back to the car now, one of his hands was sprayed with blood. He didn’t seem to care and in fact he was licking some of it. Repulsive. Matt’s eyes were glued onto me and I had no idea what to do. Before Matt could tell green eyes that I was there I figured that I better do something. Move.

I managed to communicate this message with my brain and began a quick pace down the sidewalk, towards where a few stray cabs were parked, hoping to get a few last customers. I had just reached the nearest one and was throwing the ripped bag and comforter into the backseat as fast as I possibly could when I heard a car approaching. Shit, shit it had to be them. Who else could it be?

I fumbled with my cell phone, shakily trying to put it back in my purse and swore loudly again as I dropped it. “Hiya princess,” green eyes said a little too cheerfully. I stood up too quickly and ended up smacking my head against the side view mirror. Wincing in pain, I massaged the back of my head and green eyes chuckled. I continued staring at them, my mind blanking on what I should say.

“Fancy running into you here. It’s getting late… a pretty little thing like you shouldn’t be wandering the streets at this hour,” green eyes cooed and it made me feel disgusting. I instantly had the craving for a hot shower. Or a hundred. Matt wasn’t saying anything and that was what frightened me the most. He was just looking at me and I couldn’t read his expression.

“I just… I just needed a new bed comforter. That’s all. The fact that I’m here is purely coincidental. I just want to go home,” I said, keeping my voice level. I kept telling myself to stay calm. No need to get hysterical or bring tears into this. I could handle this. Green eyes was cackling now.

“Ooh princess needed a new blankie! And now she got it,” he cried out, clapping his hands maniacally. The guy was a psycho. The cabbie was even creeped out by him and went to talk to one of the other drivers while he waited until I was ready. Little did he know how badly I wanted to dive into the back seat and have him floor it out of here.

“You shouldn’t be here,” Matt said in a low voice. His response aggravated me. At this point, I knew it was quite obvious that this was not the place I should be at. “How the hell was I supposed to know that you would be here at this particular mall… doing stuff,” I snapped. He cracked a half smile at the words ‘doing stuff.’ Well I’m glad one of us found this situation so amusing.

“Go home. Shelby and Rob will be wondering where you are,” Matt said softly, running a hand through his buzzed hair. I held onto the smallest flicker of hope that there was a chance he felt some sort of affection towards me or cared about me in the slightest way. Green eyes however was outraged. Apparently he expected some sort of show.

“You’re just going to let her go? Not even a beating or a raping? What the fuck,” green eyes complained, slamming the dashboard. My eyes widened at the word rape. Matt raped people? Well they couldn’t do anything in front of the cab drivers since they were witnesses. They wouldn’t allow it. Unless of course they paid them off.

“Vengeance. Shut. The fuck. Up,” Matt said through gritted teeth, clearly pissed off. He could be very intimidating when he wanted to be. It wasn’t exactly a stretch for him. I couldn’t help noticing that he looked exhausted as well. There were heavy bags under his eyes. He had to know I wouldn’t tell anyone. I hadn’t let anyone in on his biggest secret, so what was one or two more to keep?

“Thank you, Shadows,” I said quietly. He gave me a slight nod in response. More than anything I wished that Vengeance would fall into a deep pit so that it was just Matt and I. Judging by the look on Matt’s face, I wondered if he was having similar thoughts. He glanced between me and the glaring cabbie who was wishing he had never gotten stuck with me as a customer.

“You really need a car, cupcake,” Matt said. “So I’ve been told,” I scowled in response and climbed into the back seat of the cab. I gave the driver my address and he instantly drove off, muttering curses under his breath as he did so. I stared out the back window at the black car, wondering what Matt Sanders was thinking at that particular moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok I had a little too much fun writing Zacky's lines lol! It was fun coming up with some of his twisted psycho dialogue ahahahh. Hope you like it!!

Thank you for all the comments guys!!
SevenfoldGirl_
Star Angel
Brian.xtc
AvengedFanfoREVer
mindblind
Coffee_Lover
amodernmyth88
JustThinking