Trampoline

Who woulda thought?

"So what does this mean?" my boyfriend asked, his wide blue eyes staring straight into mine.

I sighed and pushed my hand back through my brown hair. "It means that I'm done, Cole. It's obvious that we're not working out anymore. All we do is fight, and I just can't take it anymore."

He took a step closer to me and crossed his arms over his chest. "This is about that stupid bruise, isn't it? Samantha, you know I didn't mean to do that."

I looked down at the still slightly purple bruise that circled my wrist. Honestly, I didn't know if he'd meant to do it or not. We were having one of our famous arguements, and when I decided to storm off, Cole reached out and grabbed my arm. When he pulled me back, I guess the grip on my wrist was tighter than expected.

"That's not what it's about," I said, which wasn't completely truthful. After all, it wasn't the first injury I'd received from him. "I just can't do this anymore."

I saw anger flood over his face as he reached around me and yanked the front door open. "Well, what are you waiting for then? Get the fuck out."

"Cole, listen, I-"

He grabbed my arm and pushed me out onto the porch, making me stumble and fall. "No, I won't listen. This is what you want, right? It's over." He slammed the door, leaving me alone with my mouth hanging open.

Finally, I forced myself to my feet and headed for my car. I got in and pulled out of the driveway, and in no time I was crying. Sure, I wanted out of my relationship with Cole, but there's always that feeling of sadness when you break up with someone. I had been with Cole since I was sixteen, our relationship lasting nearly two years.

I arrived at my house and walked around to the back yard. I'd decided notto go inside just yet in order to avoid the questions about my tears from my parents. Instead, I climbed up onto the trampoline and stared up at the sky, which was now filled with stars. I rolled onto my side and hugged my knees.

A few minutes later, I felt the trampoline move and heard the springs creak. "Hey, cutie pie," I heard a familiar voice say.
Brian.

I smiled and turned to face my best friend. "Hey, Bri."

He frowned and bounced over to where I was laying. He flopped down next to me and placed his hand on my shoulder. "What's with the tears?"

"Me and Cole broke up," I answered, looking away from him.

"Sam..." Brian whispered, pulling me into a hug. "I'm so sorry. But surely you know this is for the best! I mean, seriously, look at this." He picked up my arm and brushed his thumb over the purple circle around my wrist. "I could kill him for this. You can tell me it was an accident all you want to, Samantha, but I don't believe it."

I sighed and nodded. "I know you don't, Brian. I don't know if I do either, honestly."

"There's no way it was an accident! This wasn't the first time you got a bruise from him."

My head snapped up and my eyes met his brown ones. I'd never told him about the other times. He nodded at me, apparently understanding what I was thinking. "Did you really think you hid them that well?" he asked. "Because you didn't. I saw every one of them."

He shifted so he was lying down next to me and wrapped his arms around me. "You don't deserve that shit, cutie pie. I'm glad you're done with him."

I grinned. "Thanks, Brian. You really are the best." I scooted a little closer to him so that I could press my lips to his cheek. His hand flew up to his face, holding to spot my mouth had just touched.

"What's the matter?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He shook his head and looked away, and even with the only source of light being the moon, I could see the blush cross his face. "Nothing."

"You're lying," I said. We always knew when the other was lying.

He sighed and shook his head again. "This isn't the time, Sam."

"Brian!" I shouted. "Now you have to tell me!"

"It's just crazy," he said, a crooked grin forming on his lips. "I mean, who woulda thought that someone like you would have kissed my cheek here on your trampoline? Honestly, I don't even know why you have anything to do with a smelly dude like me."

I giggled. "What do you mean? I think you smell fine, Bri." I pressed my nose to his shoulder and inhaled, the scent of cigarretes and cologne filling my nose.

"You know what I mean," he said with a chuckle. "I'm just a dirty guy in a rock band, and you're all pretty and stuff."

I felt my own face turn red as I looked away from him. Brian and I had been best friends, but he had never once talked to me like this. He had always called me cutie pie, but that was about as far as it went.

He brushed a piece of hair out of my face, and I saw him start to lean in. He lips touched mine, and I immediately pushed him away. "Brian, I can't. I just broke up with Cole."

He sighed and pushed his hand through his dark hair. "I know that everything you had with him was terrible, okay? I get that it just ended, and you're still all shook up from it. But I've been waiting for you, Sam, because I'm fucking in love with you."

My heart sped up as his brown eyes once again met mine. "Bri..."

"Just give me a chance, please?" he said. "I promise, I will never treat you like Cole did."

I blinked. I opened my mouth to speak, but couldn't think of any words. Where was this even coming from? Brian had never once even hinted that he had feelings for me.
Or had he?

We'd always been close, that was no secret. Everyone had always joked that we should date, and I usually just rolled my eyes and laughed it off, but Brian didn't. He would just sort of grin and look at the ground.

And what about me? What did I feel? I knew Brian was gorgeous, anyone with eyes knew that. Until now, I'd never been able to think of him as anything but my best friend because I'd been with Cole for so long.

"Come on," he said, holding his hand out to me. "Just give it a shot."

I smiled and placed my hand into his. "Alright, Brian."

His arms went around me again, and I relaxed into him. He kissed me again, his lips lingering on mine a little longer this time. He stood up and grabbed my hand to help me up. "Alright, cutie pie. Let's bounce."

I giggled as he held both of my hands and we started jumping on the trampoline.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you go!
I really hope you liked it :D