Comic Books

Prologue

There was something about a pretty girl walking into a comic book store that Garrett Nickelsen enjoyed. He enjoyed it so much that he had to tweet about it, he had to tell someone about his feelings. It didn’t matter if he had just told his plethora of followers. Just, anyone, really.

He was used to people walking into comic book stores- his usual comic book store to be specific. Kids, teenagers, guys that looked way too old to be walking into this store and that by association probably still lived in their parent’s basement and/or house.

But he had never seen a girl- or more accurately, he probably had never paid attention. Because really, it was impossible to think that in all the time this store has been standing in the same corner, that not a single girl had walked in. Maybe out of curiosity, maybe shopping for someone else. But someone of the female gender have had to walk in at some point in time or another.

Yet no one had been as pretty as the one standing straight across from him, looking about the comic books perfectly lined up and organized by series, title, issue and publisher.

He felt like such a stalker, and he was doing an awful job at hiding what he was doing. It looked like something out of a cartoon, really. His green eyes were peeking behind the latest issue of X-Men, and it didn’t even look like he was doing anything productive in the first place. Garrett was shocked at the fact that she hadn’t noticed him staring.

But she had. And she was trying so hard not to giggle or do anything that might tip off the fact that she knew and she fucking felt his stare digging into her. She took out her phone, quickly typing away a message to her best friend. If only she were here and around.

Garrett was having such a hard time with the mere concept of breathing in general. She was right there. He could not not make a move. It would kill him until the very day he married- if he ever did, to know that he could’ve married the pretty girl standing across the comic book shop.

He could tell she was probably a bit shorter than he was. Brown flowing hair, a pretty smile and the prettiest brown eyes he had ever seen. God, brown eyes were so common but hers? It looked like he had discovered a whole new shade of brown that she could only make look good.

And just as he was about to gather his courage and step forward, another girl walks in. And now he’s sure that this isn’t really happening and that he’s dreaming for she’s equally as pretty as the one standing in front of the comic books. She wandered over to her, practically skipping and his eyes instantly landed on the boots covering her feet. Boy, would John have a field day with her.

“Watcha doin’?” She sang, standing next to whom he now knew was her friend. She had a pretty voice, and white teeth that Garrett was sure would shine all the way across the fucking Arizona desert. Blonde, long hair and just then she took her sunglasses off and revealed another pair of brown eyes that Garrett was sure were crafted by some higher power. It was impossible for the two of them to make brown eyes look as beautiful as theirs did.

“Looking at comics?” She had a sarcastic tone, and Garrett was so busy gawking over them that he almost missed the sound of her voice. Almost.

“Aren’t you fucking clever?” The other one rolled her eyes and Garrett found out that she was indeed, shorter than the first girl. Damn, he either needed to find out their names or he had to label them somehow in order to not lose track of them.

“I tend to be.” She shrugged, smirking at her. “What’s up little one?”

“Well I was just trying to figure out why the fuck you’d leave me alone and not tell me you’re coming here when you know I’ve been dying to buy some comics.” She huffed, punching the taller girl’s arm. “Asshole.”

“I was just trying to get away from you.” She shrugged. “Shorty.”

“Oh, suck my dick.” The shorter one scoffed before walking away to another side of the store. And now, Garrett couldn’t hold it back.

He laughed. And it wasn’t really that silent laughter but it wasn’t that boisterous laughter either but it was loud enough for the girl across from him to look up at him, a smirk on her face.

“Something amusing?” Was she talking to him? Oh God, she was. He had to recover himself, soon, before he made himself look like an asshole because by now the other one was looking back at them and walking back towards her friend and fuck.

“You two, actually.” He chuckled. Thank fucking Zeus he had sounded normal and not like the stuttering teenager he once was.

The shorter one raised an eyebrow at him. “I’m sorry, but that is way creepy.”

In a second, he could feel his cheeks heat up as his eyes widened slightly. “I-uh, I didn’t mean- I guess- I-I’m sorry.” He stuttered.

Goddamn, it had been so long since he’d actually stutter in front of someone, let alone women. But there was something about those two that made his knees buckle and his heart race.

“Don’t be such an asshole.” The taller one smacked her, scoffing. “I’m sorry about her, she tends to be that way.”

“I-It’s fine.” He cleared his throat. “I’m Garrett, if that makes it less creepy?” He tried to smile at them, but he just knew how awkward it was.

She smiled wide at him and Garrett’s heart went into a cardiac arrest. “Mila, the rude one over there is Gwen.”

Garrett glanced over at the tiny blonde standing over by the Deadpool comics, a small smile covering his features. John would love her, he was sure of it. Gwen was tiny, her body was carved in all the right places, he noted as his eyes wandered from the black dusty boots up to the small mint colored shorts and the white flow-y button up shirt that covered her small torso.

“I know, she’s tiny.” Mila mumbled with a grin as she looked over the new X-Men issue, the same one that Garret had put down.

Garrett laughed, pushing his copper hair back. “I-I’ve seen worse.”

‘I can hear you guys!” Gwen called from the other side of the store as she looked up from the Deadpool issue, light eyebrows raised high in the air - judging.

“We weren’t trying to be quiet.” Mila retorted, rolling her brown eyes before she turned back to Garrett. “Anyways, X-Men?”

Garrett glanced down to his empty hands before he looked at the comic that Mila was holding upright, showing him the cover. He nodded, hair bouncing slightly before he cleared his throat. “Y-Yeah, X-Men. It’s um, a good issue. Lots of action.” He smiled kindly.

“Are you always this awkward?” Garrett had no idea when Gwen had popped up next to him, and needless to say, the small blonde had scared the living shit out of him.

“N-No.” He defended quickly, pale cheeks burning red. “You can tell no one’s used to having girls like you in here.” Garrett nodded around the store, where the rest of the guys that frequented the place were hidden well enough that neither of the girls had noticed.

“Girls like us?” Mila asked, glancing up from the current page she was reading over.

“He means beautiful.” A fourth voice popped up and the three of them turned to see a tall man walk into the store, a smirk set wide on his face.

Gwen looked up at him skeptically, carefully analyzing his features and the way he carried himself. Tall as a skyscraper, with jeans tight as skin and a leather jacket carelessly yet very carefully arranged over his shoulders. His tousled brown locks laid atop his head in a perfect yet messy way, sharp features framed by the pair of black Wayfarers resting peacefully on the edge of his nose. From where she stood, Gwen could make out a set of green eyes that she assumed would drive any other girl insane.

Except for Gwen Miller.
♠ ♠ ♠
it suffices to say that I fucking HATE the new mibba layout software whatever bullshit they're trying to pull.

it's annoying and I had to edit this layout like five times before I actually got it to work the way I semi wanted it to.

ugh
anyway.

this is a new Garrett/John thing going on. and, this is short so this is basically a prologue of how things are going to go. I'm still not sure whether it's going to be John centric or Garrett centric - I guess it all depends on how it all goes.

but! enjoy ^__^