It's Only What's on the Inside That Counts

2/3

The next day, Carlina woke up earlier than her parents so that she could butter them up with breakfast before talking to them about Blake. She made her way downstairs and started to make everyone’s favorites: pancakes, bacon, eggs and a small fruit salad along with a coffee for her dad. An egg white spinach omelet, pork sausage, hash browns a fruit salad, orange juice and green tea for her mom.

Just as she was finishing up her ham and cheese omelet with bacon, hash browns, fruit salad and orange juice for herself, she could hear both of her parents coming down the stairs. Carlina turned and faced the door way when her parents walked into the room. “Good morning,” she greeted.

“Good morning dear. What are you doing up so early?” Isabella questioned her daughter when breakfast was placed in front of her.

“No reason,” Carlina shrugged walking back with her dad’s breakfast. “I just felt like making everyone breakfast.”

“Alright, now I know something is up. You never make food unless you want something,” Marco remarked when a plate was placed in front of him along with the newspaper. “What do you want Carlina?”

Carlina sighed as she sat down across from them, her ears and tail twitching every once in awhile. “Can’t we just eat breakfast first and then we can talk?”

Marco and Isabella shot each other glances before looking back at Carlina and nodding their heads. They knew it must be very important for her to want to talk with them, she rarely wants anything or did anything wrong. Everyone ate their breakfast in relative silence. All Carlina could think about was her parents reactions to her confession.

“Alright Carlina, what is it that you wanted to talk to us about?” Isabella inquired once they had sat in the living room after cleaning up.

Carlina looked down at her lap and sighed before looking up at her parents. “I want you to promise me something first.” They both nodded their heads in understanding, “I want you to promise me that you will hear me out before making any judgements or comments.”

Isabella and Marco looked at each other trying to figure out what it could possibly be that their daughter had to tell them. They looked back at her, “We promise. Now what is it, bambina (baby girl)?” Marco encouraged his daughter.

Carlina sighed, her ears going back against her head (anticipating anger and rejection). “Okay,” she looked at her lap again before stared into both of her parents eyes. “I know you think that I have never left the house without you or your permission, but that’s not true.” She raised her hand to silence them when they tried to cut in. “And one time, three years ago… I met someone. And we have been dating ever since.” She saw Isabella open her mouth and knew what she was going to ask so she answered immediately. “And yes, he does know about me: about me having cat ears and tail. I showed him two years ago.”

“Honey, I’m not sure…” Isabella began to say, but Marco placed his hand on her shoulder.

“Isabella, we can’t protect her forever.” He looked over at Carlina, “it’s obvious that she has been careful when going out to see him,” Marco continued before questioning his daughter. “And he hasn’t hurt you or said anything about your condition?”

Carlina shook her head with a smile on her face, “no never. He always says to me that is isn’t how I look on the outside but what’s on the inside.” She let out a little laugh, “although he has told me that he finds my ears and tail adorable.”

Both of her parents laughed alongside her, “is there a chance that we could meet him?” Isabella questioned, finally seeing the happiness in her daughters eyes.

A bright smile spread across Carlina’s face, her tail moving faster. “Of course there is. Would it be okay if he comes over for dinner tonight?” She questioned excitedly while biting her lip.

Both Isabella and Marco smiled at their daughter, seeing the way that her eyes sparkled as she talked about this guy. They realized that this guy was a perfect match for their daughter.

“Of course it is sweetie. We would both be happy if he came over so that we could meet him,” Isabella informed Carlina while Marco nodded in agreement.

Carlina bolted from her seat with a squeal, as she rushed over to her parents and pulled them into tight hugs, her tail and ears both twitching in excitement. “Oh thank you, thank you! You have no idea how much this means to mean. You will not regret this, I promise.” She shrieked out. Her mom and dad laughed and she could hear them as she made her way up to her room. “I’ll go call him right now and tell him the good news.

Isabella and Marco watched as their daughter disappeared up the stairs, with smiles on their faces. They knew by her reactions that they had made the right choice regarding the situation. They always knew that sooner or later, they were going to have to let her go and let her live her own life. And they realized that now was as good a time as any.

Image

As soon as Carlina had gotten to her room she called Blake and proceeded to inform him of the situation. And from the reaction that she heard on the other end of the call, he was just as excited as she was. Blake told her that he would be over at 7:00 for dinner, seeing as he had to work. She bid him a quick goodbye before making her way downstairs to tell her mom the plans.

The rest of the day passed by rather quietly, with Isabella doing chores and preparing dinner, Marco working on important cases and Carlina working as well.

At 6:00, Carlina decided that it was time to start getting ready for dinner. She took a quick shower, did a light coat of make-up, curled her hair and made her way over to her closet. She practically tore the whole closet apart trying to find something to wear before she decided on a pale green sundress with a white shrug and a white ribbon for her tail.

By the time that she was placing the finishing touches on she noticed that it was 6:55. Carlina made her way downstairs and sat in the living room. She could hear both her parents moving around in the kitchen, in order to get dinner ready. She picked up her tail that lay beside her and brought it into her lap and began to stroke it. This was something that she always did when she was nervous and it helped calm her down.

At exactly 7:00, the door bell rang signally Blake’s arrival. “I got it!” Carlina yelled out as she scampered over to the door and pulled it open.

Blake smiled widely at her and pulled her into his arms when she jumped up and wrapped her arms around his neck. He crashed his lips against hers for a quick kiss. “Hey baby,” he said once they pulled apart and rested his forehead against hers.

“Hi, come on is. Dinner should be ready by now,” Carlina replied enthusiastically grabbing Blake by the hand and pulling him inside, making sure to shut the door behind him.

Blake produced a bouquet of white roses from behind his back and smile brightly as he handed them to her. “These are for you.”

Carlina smiled back and accepted them, “thank you.” She remarked as she took a sniff of the flowers. “Come on into the kitchen and I will introduce you to my parents.” She took him by the hand and led him over to the kitchen. “Mom? Dad?” She called out gaining their attention. “Mom, dad this is my boyfriend Blake,” she gestured to him, “and Blake this is my mom Isabella and my dad Marco.”

“It’s so nice to finely meet you both. I have heard so much about you,” Blake said as he extended his hand out to them.

As Carlina’s parents greeted Blake and started a conversation, she grabbed a vase to put the flowers in. She placed it down on the middle of the table and everyone came over as Isabella moved to the counter.

Once everyone was seated and the food dished out, they started a conversation. But it mostly contained Carlina’s parents interrogating Blake. Both Carlina and Blake knew that this would happen, so Blake was very calm and answered every question honestly. After dessert and some more talking in the living room, Blake announced that it was time to go home. He said goodbye to Isabella and Marco and was led to the front door by Carlina.

“Will I see you tomorrow?” He asked as they stood on the porch together: both fully aware that her parents were watching.

Carlina nodded and smiled, “of course. I will come by your apartment after I have dinner. Is that okay?”

“Mmhmm, yeah that is fine. Just come on up whenever you want.”

They shared a quick kiss before he left; leaving Carlina to deal with her parents alone. She made her way back inside and lent against the door, her tail moving quickly causing little thumping sounds to ring throughout the room. She made her way back into the living room and sat down on the arm chair across from Isabella and Marco and looked at them expectantly.

“Well… what do you think?” Carlina inquired, worried about their opinion.

Isabella smiled at her daughter, “I think that he is a wonderful boy and not to mention very cute,” she winked causing both Carlina and Marco to laugh.

“I agree. He is definitely a good boy,” Marco agreed and looked at Isabella quickly, “we approve of you being with him.”

Carlina bounced around in her seat a little before running over to her parents and giving both of them hugs. “Thank you, thank you so much. You liking him means so much to me.”

Isabella and Marco smiled as they watched their daughter skip up to her room. They knew that Blake was a good match for their daughter. And just by the way that he looked at her, they knew that her ears and tail mean nothing to him.

As Carlina sat on her bed and texted Blake, they both realized something at the same time. They both realized that they were made for each other; they were each other’s one.