Opulence

1/1

I looked at the clock next to the bed. It was late.

He slept soundly asleep next to me, with the fancy sheets just covering his legs. I took in his shirtless torso. He was too perfect. I wasn’t perfect enough. Or at least, that’s what his mother had basically told me.

Slipping out of bed, I picked up my still packed suitcase. Could I just leave?

“Don’t go,” he called out into the dark as I put my hand on the knob. How he had heard me, I had no idea.

“I have to,” I whispered. “I have to go.”

“No, you don’t,” he said taking my suitcase away from me and my elbow to steer me back to bed.

“Yes, I do,” I said yanking myself away and trying not to look at him. “I don’t fit in here.”

“We can work on my mum,” he insisted in his British accent.

I shook my head. “No. I will never fit in here. I’ll never fit in your social scene. I’m just not right for you.”

“Yes you are,” he almost seemed to be convincing himself as well as me.

I kissed his cheek. “Maybe I was. But now, I don’t think so. You’ll find someone else, someone your mother likes.”

“But what if I want you?” his breath was warm against the side of my face.

“We’ll have to get over each other,” I sighed. “Call me a cab? I think it’s time I made my exit. I’m going to leave your mother a note thanking her for her… hospitality.”

He snorted. “What hospitality?”

“It’s the right thing to do,” I shrugged. “Just do as I ask, please.”

Picking up his expensive cell phone, he dialed a number and stepped outside

Seating myself at his desk, I picked up a piece of thick paper.

Dear Ms. Williams,
Thank you for having me stay in your home for the past few days. I’ve enjoyed my time out of the city. However, I now see that I will never fit into the category that you have set aside for someone to be in as a partner for your son. I wish I could. But maybe, one day, he’ll find someone that will.


I didn’t sign it. She would know who it was from and leaving it anonymous made it seem like I had other things to be doing.

“Will I see you?” his voice was right next to my ear.

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “Maybe. But I think we need to be apart.”

“Permanently?” there were tears in his eyes.

I swallowed. Was it?

“Yes. What we have… what we had is over,” I said trying to convince the both of us.

He nodded slowly. “I’ll walk you out.”

“No,” I said standing up. “Let me do this. Just give this to your mother tomorrow.” I kissed his cheek one last time and tried not to choke on my own tears. “Good bye.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Fin.