*** Distance, Be Here

Chapter 1

Saturday. How I love Saturdays, they’re honestly what I look forward to all week. There’s no school, and I get to spend my day hanging around animals at the shelter. I greet my friend Jayme, before saying hi to the various animals. Picking up one in particular, a short orange tabby cat named Peanut Butter.

She was about 4 years old and my favorite animal on the planet. Mum’s allergic to cats, so I can’t adopt her. But I come here every Saturday to spend some time with her.

“Dogs are way better than cats.” Jayme said smugly crossing her arms, as she saw me playing with PB.. I scoff, questioning her sanity. “I think you’re on crack. Dogs are okay yeah? But cats? They’re little cute furry gods.”

She crinkles her nose, “They're all stuck up and hold serious grudges.” I roll my eyes at her. “Only if you do something to them. Plus you’re just jealous that they can act like that and still be loved.”

Jayme just shook her head. “Yeah! Well--” She was cut off by a buzzing in my pocket. My eyebrows furrow, “Who the hell could be texting me?” She giggles. “Well, I’m here. Jarrid's at work so... your mum?”

I frown, knowing she’s probably right. I wasn’t exactly the most popular person in the world. I pull out my phone, greeted by a number I’ve never seen before. I pull up the text message.

‘Hi there! :D’ I frown at the message. “Hey Jay, do you know this number?” She shook her head and I bite my lip and reply.

‘Um... hi? Who is this? xx’ It was a couple of seconds before my phone lit up again.

‘Landon. C: Isn’t this Jesse?.’ I sigh.

‘No, It’s Dakota. You must have the wrong number.’ I frown, a bit frustrated no one ever texts me to talk to me. “Who it is?” Jayme asks interestedly. I sigh slightly, “Wrong number.”

She pats my shoulder comfortingly. “Don’t worry, it’ll happen one day.” She cooes. I roll my eyes. “Gee. Thanks.” I mumble sarcastically. My phone vibrated once again.

‘Oh, I’m sorry!. They must have given me the wrong number.:/’

“Kota!” Jayme squeals in my ear. I glare at her, “What?” She grins, “Ask him if he likes dogs or cats better! So we can end our argument.” I stare at her for a second before shrugging, cause honestly? Who cares if this guy thinks I’m weird, I don’t even know him.

‘It’s no problem mate. I do have a question for my troubles though. Do you like dogs or cats better? xx.’ We waited for a few seconds impatiently before my phone buzzed. I pulled up the message hurriedly.

‘Hah. I love dogs! But, I have to say I adore cats more. SO cats. Could I know why I had to answer that question? (:.’ I smirk in her face. “Cats are better. Beat that whore.” She rolls her eyes, not bothering to mutter a word. I grin texting Landon back.

‘Thank you. Me and my friend were having an argument on whether cats or dogs were better. I said cats. xx’ I just smirk at her. She rolls her eyes, moving on the the back of the shelter-- probably to feed some of the animals.

‘Oh okay! C: Bye then, I guess.’ A strange part of me whispered to keep texting him, but I ignored it. I’m probably just bored of talking to the same people all the time, plus this guy could be 50 and a paedophile. Not really something to get into.

‘Bye. xx’ I sigh, putting the phone back into my pocket before turning to help people that just walked in at the front desk.

The rest of my day was spent helping irritable people find pets. Fucking hell, I swear someone must have pissed in all of their coffees this morning. Bloody wankers, they were. The only decent person I saw all day with this little girl who came in looking for a puppy.

She was blonde and had a little ponytail, gosh she was cute. She ended up getting a little black lab named Buster. The look on her face, was what honestly made my shitty day.

I call bye to Jayme, telling her I’d see her tomorrow or what not. I make my way to the small park on the outskirts of our town, because home just isn’t a place I’d like to be right now. Humming an unknown tune to myself, I sit on a swing in one of the old abandoned parks.

Minutes grew longer and longer, and I couldn’t help the groan that escaped my lips. I wanted something new, something that would make my life interesting. I do the same thing every bloody god damn day, and I’m just sick of it. I pull out my phone, staring into its screen. It wouldn’t hurt to try... right?

‘Hello. xx’
♠ ♠ ♠
New orignal slash c: Sorry it's a bit short. Next updates shall be longer.

Comment or Subscribe? xox Please? :DD