*** Distance, Be Here

Chapter 6

"I don't see how you accept a boy like him, Liz." Grandma's voice floats from the kitchen and I push off of the white couch in the living room, stumbling toward the garden outback. It's not like I can help being gay. She doesn't see that, I know, but she doesn't have to try to get my mom to hate me every chance she gets. It hurts and I wish she could see that.

‘None here hah. Um, tell me about yourself? xx’ I smile and look toward the sky, trying to think of interesting things to say. I've never really been good at talking about myself to other people. It's mostly like...Uh, I'm Landon and I like tacos and Red Bull. Yeah. That would go over well.

But as soon as I open a message to reply setting my fingers to the touch screen, my phone rings showing his number. Oh. God. Can't breathe. OhMyGod. Uhh.. I hit the accept button before I can back out and make him feel bad.

"Hello?" Oh god, did I really just like...squeak? That's impressive. Ugh.

" Yeh..so..hi." I can hear a rustle from his side of the line and then a hit that sounds like something smacking into skin. What the hell is going on over there? Then, a muffled voice lets out an "ow, dammit, Jayme." then his voice is clear in my ear again. His incredible, soft, amazing British accent. I could keel over right now from how incredible it is, I mean, you hear them on TV and stuff, and yeah, they're attractive, but when its right in your ear and personally speaking to you, ohholyjesus. "Sorry, 'bout that."

"N-no. It's fine. What are you up to?" I sound so ridiculous right now! I can barely breathe and my voice is being so weird. God! He'll never talk to me again after this.

"Nothing, really, just-" his voice cuts off and another one makes its way into my ear. "Look, I don't know if you're really 17 or not, but this whole this is weird and you should know that I refer to you as Creeper. If you mess with my best friend I swear to God I will find you and you will regret it." I cringe and tighten my grip on my phone with sweaty fingers. Her voice is crazy scary.

"I am 17...I can guarantee that...and I wouldn't hurt him...not intentionally, anyways...I don't like hurting people, I try to avoid it at all costs, and....he seems really cool...I dunno...but I'm not a creeper, I promise."

"Just remember what I said. You can have him back now. Oh! And if you're really honest about your age and that you aren't a creeper, send him a picture." What? Ugh.

"O-okay." And then more rustling takes place.

"I am so sorry. She's just protective because she's my best friend." I assure him that it's fine, and he lets out a relieved sigh. "But what are you up to?" And things feel back to normal, my heart beating regularly..or as regular as they can get when I'm talking to him, and I smile a little.

"Hiding from my grandmother." He chuckles, and it sounds absolutely perfect.

"And why is that?" I sigh.

"She hates me, that's all." And then mom walks out of the house, looking slightly angry and deflated, beckoning me over toward the car. "I have to go, though, my mom is ready to go home and...I'll talk to you later. It was nice hearing your voice..I mean...your accent is sexy." What?! What?! did not just say that. And then I hang up, not wanting to hear his response. I probably just messed up so bad.

Once I get into the car, mom sighs and smiles at me lightly. "I'm sorry if you heard any of that, Landon. You know I'll always support you." I nod and my phone bleeps with a new message, but I ignore it for talking to my mom at the moment. This is so much more important now. "And I want you to know that we won't be seeing her for awhile, okay? She said some things this time that I can't just forget." I nod again, not quite understanding, but not wanting to ask for fear of hurting her more than her mother already has.

"I love you, mom." She smile and we head down the road further.

"Love you too, Landon. Don't ever forget that." And then we're silent and I remember my phone.

"I think your accent is sexy too c; xx"
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh! Sorry it's so...bleh. I'm starting school in a week and getting everything ready and I typed this up really quick so you didn't have to wait so long...please don't hate me D:

-tay <3