*** Distance, Be Here

Chapter 8

‘I think your accent is sexy too c; xx’ I cringe as mom rounds the corner heading down the highway. He’s probably just being nice. My accent…or lack of, is boring and stupid. I’m American. It’s not cool like the British people. But on the other hand, my heart rate picks up a little, making me bite my lip. I barely know him and yet, there’s this pull. And there shouldn’t be…but who am I to deny the first good thing that’s happened to me in a long time.

‘Oh god. .___. stop lying.’ Mom flicks the radio on, country music running softly through the speakers. Seriously? Country? Why? I pull my earphones from my pocket and plug them into my phone, hitting the music player and letting Pierce The Veil put me at ease.

‘I’m not lying, love. I wouldn’t. xx’ A blush rises across my cheeks. He called me love. That’s…highly attractive, actually. Damn. I can just hear him actually saying it, his deep accent rumbling to life as he murmured the cute nickname.

‘Heh c: Okay, do you want to play 20 questions?’ Oh, god, am I twelve? Ugh. Stupid, Landon. Really, really stupid.

“Why do you look like you’re about to smash your head into the window, Landon?” I look over at mom, shocked. She had pulled my earphones out while I was freaking out, completely distracted until her voice caught me.

“Oh, you know…YouTube these days…people are saying ridiculous things! Who would have thought!” She looks at me suspiciously, obviously knowing that I’m lying, but she doesn’t press further, thank God. That’s why I love mom. She respects when I don’t want to talk.

‘Sure, you first. xx’ Hmm…what the hell am I supposed to ask him now? I. Am. An. Idiot.

‘Um, okay. What does xx mean? You know the ending to your messages..’ I’m probably going to regret this.

‘Are you serious mate? Haha, xx means kisses. Silly American. xx’ Yup. Yeah, I really regret this. I mentally punch myself in the face but redeem myself by sending some smart ass reply. My specialty…when I’m not totally overly flustered. Stupid Dakota flusters me too much.

‘At least buy me dinner first c;.’ I hit send before I can think of how stupid I sound, hoping that I make him as flustered as he makes me.

‘If you were here, maybe c; xx’ Right. I wish I was there so I could actually see his face…his probably angelic, gorgeous face.

‘Ask a question already, babe. ;p’ Ugh, since when do I call strangers ‘Babe?’ There’s just something about him, I swear. I’m already comfortable and it’s been less than a day. We’ve barely talked yet I’m so comfortable I could go on forever.

‘What do you look like? xx’ I let out a sigh and look towards mom to see if she’s noticed. She’s still staring out the windshield, humming to the nasty song on the radio filled with too much banjo. I shove my right earphone back in, totally forgetting about it until now. Shit. Now I have to find a decent picture.

I slip through the photos, some taken before I even got this phone. When I had friends. Thank God I kept some of these. I actually look decent.

I send the picture along with the caption ‘awkward Landon when he had friends! I’ll send an updated one when I’m home, though I assure you, I haven’t changed much at all. c:'

‘Absolutely adorable, love. c; xx’ I hide my smile in the sleeve of my hoodie, looking out the window in hopes that mom won’t see.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really wanted to get a chapter out because I'm starting school tomorrow and it's my Senior year, so I don't really know how much time will be before I can update...but I'll try for you guys!

Thanks so much for all the feedback, you're wonderful!

-tay <3